Vanadain

+
Regarding Vanadain again.
I think he has some value in elf decks. When you play him for chapter 2 after the scenario the waylay generated by the scenario can bring huge value. Combined with traps you can put some low value traps back to your deck which can be targets for Iorveth's Gambit later.

Nevertheless, Waylay without Vanadain is at max a 6 for 5 plus the deadeye token for cards like Vernossiel and other elf benefitters.

I would suggest the following Waylay rework:

Damage an enemy unit by 3.
Then spawn an Elven Deadeye in a random row and damage the Elven Deadeye by the amount of power left of the damaged unit.
Deathblow: Boost the Elven Deadeye by the amount of Elven Deadeyes in the row the Elven Deadeye was spawned.

Last edited:
For context I would say elves are one of my most played decks, I usually use radeyah elves to get back to pro rank every season but I also play trap elves when I am feeling like being a jerk or control is meta. I have been having some success playing vanadain in a radeyah deck (I cut CoC and downgraded some cards for it) because there is so much either filler 4ps or tech cards that aren't useful in every matchup which you want to cycle. Also vanadain gets a lot of value as the 3rd chapter of feign death even when you dont get deathblow or when he gets killed next turn. However forcing you to cycle out 2 cards can single handedly lose you the game sometimes if you draw him in a short r3. I can see some small changes that would make him a lot better.

Change his deploy ability to target UP TO 2 cards, that way if you have a perfect hand you don't get screwed with the vanadain or if you just have one card you don't want (like a squirrel or the movement elf) you can only cycle out one.

Having an elf that has the order to deal 2 damage in order to line up your waylays. I know that elves have one of the best 4p pingers in the game (sword dancer) but 3 damage is kind of an awkward number to hit if your dancer dies which is pretty common. Having the ability to set up 5 damage for the waylay would make the card a lot better.

Another possibility is putting the cards you cycle out at the top of your deck instead of at the bottom. That way if you keep feign death in hand round two and your opponent tries to bleed you you can put feign death and verno on top of your deck and have them safely for round 3. This I think would fit nicely with the strategy of elves which is to pass round 1 and then punish the opponent for trying to bleed you. It also isnt foolproof because nilfgaard players can steal or banish your stuff.

Anyways I actually kind of like the design for vanadain, having more ways to make deadeyes than just feign death or eldain feels good. The ability is powerful but not oppressive for the provision cost. I just think it needs some tweaks to become another elf staple.

• RED Point
Reactions: rrc
I can come up with multible versions of this card in an instant, ranging from playable to very good. but this.....?

1) Make his deploy an Order! (and Up to like op said)
2) change to: spawn and play "waylay" + allways trigger deathblow (if playing waylay, if playing scoia card, if allied db played) all possible balance by provision. enable death blow theme for the faction/tribe
3)something else. not spawn mor deadeyes but profit of them?
so many options possible and they decide to release the worst possible

rrc

Forum veteran
For context I would say elves are one of my most played decks, I usually use radeyah elves to get back to pro rank every season but I also play trap elves when I am feeling like being a jerk or control is meta. I have been having some success playing vanadain in a radeyah deck (I cut CoC and downgraded some cards for it) because there is so much either filler 4ps or tech cards that aren't useful in every matchup which you want to cycle. Also vanadain gets a lot of value as the 3rd chapter of feign death even when you dont get deathblow or when he gets killed next turn. However forcing you to cycle out 2 cards can single handedly lose you the game sometimes if you draw him in a short r3. I can see some small changes that would make him a lot better.

Change his deploy ability to target UP TO 2 cards, that way if you have a perfect hand you don't get screwed with the vanadain or if you just have one card you don't want (like a squirrel or the movement elf) you can only cycle out one.

Having an elf that has the order to deal 2 damage in order to line up your waylays. I know that elves have one of the best 4p pingers in the game (sword dancer) but 3 damage is kind of an awkward number to hit if your dancer dies which is pretty common. Having the ability to set up 5 damage for the waylay would make the card a lot better.

Another possibility is putting the cards you cycle out at the top of your deck instead of at the bottom. That way if you keep feign death in hand round two and your opponent tries to bleed you you can put feign death and verno on top of your deck and have them safely for round 3. This I think would fit nicely with the strategy of elves which is to pass round 1 and then punish the opponent for trying to bleed you. It also isnt foolproof because nilfgaard players can steal or banish your stuff.

Anyways I actually kind of like the design for vanadain, having more ways to make deadeyes than just feign death or eldain feels good. The ability is powerful but not oppressive for the provision cost. I just think it needs some tweaks to become another elf staple.
Wow! Really nice suggestions. But as long as Waylay is Waylay, one of the junkest faction cards (it is junk even at 4p), Vanadain will see no play. Playing him to get +3 from the Scenario's third chapter is really not worth it. It may be better to play Archer or Yeaven to enable deathblow to get a Deadeye.

Why should getting 6 points for a 4 card should have such a harsh hard condition when other factions can do so much much easily without needing a deathblow? Fix Waylay, you fix Vandain. Waylay stays junk, Vanadain stays in dumpster. As simple as that. Make him order, make him to put cards on top, make his card-move optional.. nothing is going to help him. Or may be make him 8 for 8 with Veil, then he may see play. Anything else, will be a namesake buff which ST are pros in getting.

I feel these changes would make Vannadain better mulligan away up to two cards then create two bronze specials from your starting deck startting with the highest provision to the lowest provison charge 2 damage a unit by 2 and use a charge everytime you play a special card gain a charge

Actually a card that makes a deadeye every time you play a special would be awesome but I actually really like where vanadain is now. He fits into a small number of decks but the way he fits in makes a lot of sense.

rrc

Forum veteran
Actually a card that makes a deadeye every time you play a special would be awesome but I actually really like where vanadain is now. He fits into a small number of decks but the way he fits in makes a lot of sense.
We already have a similar card which is called Whisperers Of Dol Blathanna. I see that Vanadain is used in some niche meme decks. Though it is not competitive and never was and never will, not all cards need to be competitive. If Vanadain has a place in meme decks, then it is good enough. That said, I hate this card. It is a very good concept, but based on one of the junkest 4P removal cards in the game. Waylays can and most of the times I use it or see it used, plays for 3 points, which is bad and powercrept even an year back.

I wish Symbiosis had got a Vanadain equivalent which is a Dryad and added Dryad Caress; same concept, but for Symbiosis.

Top Bottom