Venendal Elite Completely Ruining Ranked Play

+
luisdiazepam;n10279012 said:
This post i can only say :GIT GUD .

Reveal is one of the coolest mechanics i have seen in a card game i like the concept and in fact recently i am on a huge losing streak with my reveal deck i find it way too weak compared to other type of decks so atm reveal is not as strong as it was before the last patch

I mean reveal has been around since the early days of MtG so it's not really that unique at all.

Guest_4248742

fatesDecision;n10279032 said:
I mean reveal has been around since the early days of MtG so it's not really that unique at all.

I have not played alot of mtg to be honest way too expensive and i played ALOT OF YU GI OH and Warcraft TCG (the one before HS )

SHALLAHJUSTICE;n10275552 said:
Insightful comparison....

:wisegirl:

Whatever term you use, disliked or broken, it's a controversial card to say the least and deserves some attention by the developers.

No bronze should be able to wreck a gold card like that. It's very simple.

:yawn:

Bronze cards hurt golds all the time. I don't get the complaining about it affecting golds when there are so many golds it doesn't do shit to. The only cards it has a big affect on are large units which can be bronze or gold. The card being gold doesn't make the play better or worse. The best golds in the game are usually low power tech cards.

Guest 4226291

As the others said Reveal is not OP. I love the people complaining that it is so strong when it hits Olaf when they are running a free 20 point card with no drawbacks lmao

Most good cards in a deck are 7 or less points because they have good effects. Venendal is only good when you run retarded finishers like Olaf, and if you want to run a free 20 point card then you can join the other idiots saying Scorch should be nerfed because it kills Olaf and Ciri: Nova and then they cry.

Reveal has a strong round one and absolutely no finishers. They rely on Villentretenmerth and Scorch

Olaf is my back up finisher. Hym >Skjall >Harold >Herbalist summon raging bear on skull that hits entire row, is my finisher.

:wisegirl:

I survive without Olaf alot, i still think VE is a broken card.

hydra66;n10312622 said:
the first minute and a half sum up why the elite in its current incantation is BS in my opinion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okkWu8TfUyY

Apart from elite, poweful abilities that drain a unit down to 2 was a silver ability (artifact compression which doesnt affect golds) or gold

Olaf has the inherent risk of being a huge point card. If he doesn't want to take that risk then he shouldn't run it. He also could have played it and denied the use of the elite which would have struggled to find a target after that.

Venedal Elite

So not that im complaining or anything. I dont know if this intented but. I'm playing reveal not that im want them to get nerfed the archetype all ready kinda iffy but, my opponent had olaf which is a 20 str gold. I took the 20 str from him so a total 40 point swing and when he played olaf.. It killed himself lmaooo, I felt so evil. Just reporting dunno if it needs to be looked into.

Last edited by a moderator:
LethoClean thread merged

You might not be complaining, but I guess the opponent will be.

Anyhow, I suppose CDPR is well aware of this interaction, which also happens to be Venendal Elite's best target (and a fringe case). I wouldn't be surprised if the card was changed to target bronze and silver cards only.

4RM3D;n10314862 said:
LethoClean thread merged

You might not be complaining, but I guess the opponent will be.

Anyhow, I suppose CDPR is well aware of this interaction, which also happens to be Venendal Elite's best target (and a fringe case). I wouldn't be surprised if the card was changed to target bronze and silver cards only.

Probably, and then drop out of use for the most part due to being unreliable.

Thought of a fix: olaf cant kill himself kinda simple fix. And the skellige player just has to play him early if they want to heal him back to 10-20 how ever the card works, never used it. Im using VE right now to climb(its a 1 of), i mainly use it to make a 1pt CA spy. But in olaf case it can actually make you opponent have a 0 pt card. Nerfing it to Bronze/Silver will make the card not worth running really if you don't get your CA spy and VE together.

LethoClean;n10314822 said:
So not that im complaining or anything. I dont know if this intented but. I'm playing reveal not that im want them to get nerfed the archetype all ready kinda iffy but, my opponent had olaf which is a 20 str gold. I took the 20 str from him so a total 40 point swing and when he played olaf.. It killed himself lmaooo, I felt so evil. Just reporting dunno if it needs to be looked into.

I don't think it's that much of a problem though. It's a huge power swing, I agree with that, but your opponent could have seen it coming and adjusts their play accordingly.
I'm not among those who think VE is OP and part of the reason being, this card requires set up in order to function properly which allows your opponent to respond. As harsh as it might sound, I think your opponent simply made a mistake by keeping it that long in their hand.

That put aside, Olaf killing himself is due to his rule saying that he damages himself upon being played unless you play a certain number of beasts (just saying that in case you're wondering about that part).

GenLiu;n10316062 said:
I don't think it's that much of a problem though. It's a huge power swing, I agree with that, but your opponent could have seen it coming and adjusts their play accordingly..

No, not really. especially when the opponent also has Cantarella exposed and/or another high-power card in my hand exposed. It's easy to say: "you should have seen it coming", and in fact, that's a simplistic retort. Sometimes the battlefield doesn't allow one to play a card that may be targeted by VE, or the consequence may be the same as not playing said card.

GenLiu;n10316062 said:
I'm not among those who think VE is OP and part of the reason being, this card requires set up in order to function properly which allows your opponent to respond. As harsh as it might sound, I think your opponent simply made a mistake by keeping it that long in their hand.

Yeah.. it requires a "setup" that's about as simple as can be. Two-turns: reveal and drain any unit, regardless of color. Wow.. complicated stuff.

Probably, and then drop out of use for the most part due to being unreliable.

As if now it sees a huge amount of play. It's in about 10 - 11% of all the NG decks the last 30 days. by comparison, Daerlans and Golems, the staples of Reveal are at about 18 - 22% So basically only half the Reveal decks have VE.

VE is good against straight tall decks only... it relies on the opponents hand cards being tall initially, and counts as buff/damage (so is also vulnerable to heals/reset/strengthen). that's 2 strategies to trump it. I do agree that targeting Golds is a bit much... if spotters can't they shouldn't either.

GenLiu;n10316062 said:
I don't think it's that much of a problem though. It's a huge power swing, I agree with that, but your opponent could have seen it coming and adjusts their play accordingly.
I completely agree. I think he was tryna keep it for a finisher also he didnt know I had VE probably.

Philologus;n10316902 said:
No, not really. especially when the opponent also has Cantarella exposed and/or another high-power card in my hand exposed.
Why would you ever VE your opponent CA spy?

Void_Singer;n10318142 said:
VE is good against straight tall decks only... it relies on the opponents hand cards being tall initially, and counts as buff/damage (so is also vulnerable to heals/reset/strengthen). that's 2 strategies to trump it. I do agree that targeting Golds is a bit much... if spotters can't they shouldn't either.
They changed it targeting gold becuase of Ciri Dash and Vanilla Geralt making 20 point spotters easy. Not swim has made it where you can have 30 point spotters

Philologus;n10316902 said:
No, not really. especially when the opponent also has Cantarella exposed and/or another high-power card in my hand exposed. It's easy to say: "you should have seen it coming", and in fact, that's a simplistic retort. Sometimes the battlefield doesn't allow one to play a card that may be targeted by VE, or the consequence may be the same as not playing said card.

Yeah.. it requires a "setup" that's about as simple as can be. Two-turns: reveal and drain any unit, regardless of color. Wow.. complicated stuff.

As simplistic as it might seem, it does require a setup.
You can't absorb the unit's power out of nowehere.

And I was talking about the problem from the "victim" point of view. I'm not gonna say that I've never been tricked by VE but honestly, this unit is fairly easy to play around.

You said that "Sometimes the battlefield doesn't allow one to play a card that may be targeted by VE, or the consequence may be the same as not playing said card" but this is exactly what playing a card game is all about, I can ask the same question for every control card in the entire game.
Why would you ever play say, Yarpen for example, when you expect your opponent to have Alzur's thunder in hand?
So sure, you lose a lot of value by not playing him on round one but it prevents you from losing value in return, in fact this is the control way of generating value (by lowering the full potential of your opponent).

VE works exactly the same way and card games are about making choices. If you have a 2O points gold getting revealed you HAVE to play it, even if he gonna hit the board as a 1O because the consequences of not doing so are far worst.

To be fair, I always mulligan Olaf when I play SK bear and see Morvan, because this card is just not good in the match up and frankly it works just fine for me (especially SK that have a ton of 1 power units that represent no value for VE.

Also, the fact that your opponent is holding Cantarella doesn't change anything, if they hold it, they hold it, it doesn't make the situation more complicated than that).

LethoClean;n10318722 said:
Why would you ever VE your opponent CA spy?

They changed it targeting gold becuase of Ciri Dash and Vanilla Geralt making 20 point spotters easy. Not swim has made it where you can have 30 point spotters
because you don't have better points on the board... no guarantee they won't save it for round 2 pass

PS: Spotters wasn't so much changed as it was clarified... they already could't target golds, it just didn't say so. You can theoretically push a creature to 39 plus the spotters 5 in NG
(KoB,Mandrake,3xMushrooms,Peter,Decoy,Emhyr. then Vilgefortz,Cahir to pick it up) but if anyone can pull of that chain (it requires those 10 cards uninterrupted) I'll eat my hat... and it's nice hat.

Top Bottom