Venendal Elite Completely Ruining Ranked Play

+
The 'Stupid Knight Deck' as I like to call it, shows why spotters can't target golds out the gate. A mandraked, revealed nilfgaardian knight gives +18 to a spotter. That's madness. If they could target golds they'd be getting +15 out of Geralt as a base. At least as it is you have to interact with the board a little.

Though using VE against that deck is funny :D

LethoClean;n10318722 said:
Why would you ever VE your opponent CA spy?

I mean that the opponent who has VE also happens to have their own Cantarella revealed. VE drains Cantarella, and then opponent plays Cantarella against me. I only get a one point card on my side, and my opponent gets CA.

GenLiu;n10316062 said:
I don't think it's that much of a problem though. It's a huge power swing, I agree with that, but your opponent could have seen it coming and adjusts their play accordingly.
I'm not among those who think VE is OP and part of the reason being, this card requires set up in order to function properly which allows your opponent to respond. As harsh as it might sound, I think your opponent simply made a mistake by keeping it that long in their hand.

That put aside, Olaf killing himself is due to his rule saying that he damages himself upon being played unless you play a certain number of beasts (just saying that in case you're wondering about that part).

Is your gamertag GenLiu? if so i played against you on casual ps4.

I was NF Slave driver and medic deck, i think you was SK self harm.

I emerged victorious.

:wisegirl:

Last edited by a moderator:
SHALLAHJUSTICE;n10321642 said:
Is your gamertag GenLiu? if so i played against you on casual ps4.

I was NF Slave driver and medic deck, i think you was SK self harm.

I kicked your ass.

:wisegirl:

It's entirely possible, I have so many decks that I occasionally play on casual ()this is kinda where I experiment different stuffs...I wouldn't even been surprised if I was playing Eist).
GG for kicking my ass lol

PS : Get ready for the next time, I will kick yours :p

Last edited:
4RM3D;n10314862 said:
LethoClean thread merged

You might not be complaining, but I guess the opponent will be.

Anyhow, I suppose CDPR is well aware of this interaction, which also happens to be Venendal Elite's best target (and a fringe case). I wouldn't be surprised if the card was changed to target bronze and silver cards only.

When there are too many "fringe" cases, the issue moves from the fringe towards the center.

GenLiu;n10321932 said:
It's entirely possible, I have so many decks that I occasionally play on casual ()this is kinda where I experiment different stuffs...I wouldn't even been surprised if I was playing Eist).
GG for kicking my ass lol

PS : Get ready for the next time, I will kick yours :p

Yeah it was eist. You forefeited lol.

:cheers:

SHALLAHJUSTICE;n10328332 said:
Yeah it was eist. You forefeited lol.

:cheers:

I always forfeit when I lose, don't take it the wrong way.
It's not like I'm raging or anything but I'm a MTG player to begin with (play the game since I'm a teenager which....well represent a lot more time than I'd like to admit) this is a second nature for me.

Is your gamertag the same as in the forum? Because if so, I will try to pay attention next time I play against you.

GenLiu;n10328822 said:
I always forfeit when I lose, don't take it the wrong way.
It's not like I'm raging or anything but I'm a MTG player to begin with (play the game since I'm a teenager which....well represent a lot more time than I'd like to admit) this is a second nature for me.

Is your gamertag the same as in the forum? Because if so, I will try to pay attention next time I play against you.

What is your opinion on MtG vs Gwent, in summary?

edited to add: I know they are very different, but still..

Philologus;n10329372 said:
What is your opinion on MtG vs Gwent, in summary?

edited to add: I know they are very different, but still..

It's hard to tell, both are great games.

MTG is extremely different, no row system, you need to play lands in order to generate mana (which can be annoying, it brings a lot of interesting mechanics but nothing feels worst than being mana flooded/screwed) and you can attack your opponent and trade your creatures.
Overall you can feel the experience behind MTG, there is a lot of cards with a lot of different and interesting mechanics (even though they sometimes tend to be unnecessarily close to some they made before). This game is a lot more about combos and crazy things. For example you start each game with 2O life but there is no maximum to it so it's entirely possible to reach some incredible amount (including the ability to have "infinite" life). The game tend to be very poorly balanced though, some deck/strategy being insanely OP compared to some others (with a lot of match up being completely impossible).

Gwent is a lot "younger" with significantly less cards available but the quality of them is much higher imo.
You can see this with the arts, Gwent has literally no bad art on their cards (which isn't always true for MTG, even with the last blocks released, some cards are still much better finished than some others). Same thing with the actual effects of the different cards, in MTG each block contains very few playable cards in constructed (some of them being so bad they're not playable in any format) which isn't the case with Gwent, the general card quality being incredibly high in this game.

If I'm to recommend something it would be to play both (that's what I do), both game are so different it's not something you have to choose between one or another, you can totally play both games and never be bored.

A lot of these arguments seem to be coming from people who had NEVER played reveal or just haven't played enough of it. If they were, they would know that there are three rules for Elite:

1) Draw him as soon as possible
2) Have something useful revealed or a means to reveal
3) Don't run random tutors

If you fail at one of these, chances are that you are gonna end up with a 1 strength bronze. Same goes if you are gonna run more than one Elite. This unit doesn't benefit from boosting outside of the board, and single-handedly prevents reveal to run Joachim, else they will be giving points to the opponent. Rewards are great when they come, but all of them DO require setup and the punishment is often severe. Anyone that claims that venendals don't require setup and come out of nowhere clearly doesn't know enough about sequencing and draws and dynamics of playing reveal.
It's balanced. It might look scary to an onlooker, but if you pay a little bit of attention it is quite obvious that this card has its limitations.

GenLiu;n10329622 said:
It's hard to tell, both are great games.

MTG is extremely different, no row system, you need to play lands in order to generate mana (which can be annoying, it brings a lot of interesting mechanics but nothing feels worst than being mana flooded/screwed) and you can attack your opponent and trade your creatures.
Overall you can feel the experience behind MTG, there is a lot of cards with a lot of different and interesting mechanics (even though they sometimes tend to be unnecessarily close to some they made before). This game is a lot more about combos and crazy things. For example you start each game with 2O life but there is no maximum to it so it's entirely possible to reach some incredible amount (including the ability to have "infinite" life). The game tend to be very poorly balanced though, some deck/strategy being insanely OP compared to some others (with a lot of match up being completely impossible).

Gwent is a lot "younger" with significantly less cards available but the quality of them is much higher imo.
You can see this with the arts, Gwent has literally no bad art on their cards (which isn't always true for MTG, even with the last blocks released, some cards are still much better finished than some others). Same thing with the actual effects of the different cards, in MTG each block contains very few playable cards in constructed (some of them being so bad they're not playable in any format) which isn't the case with Gwent, the general card quality being incredibly high in this game.

If I'm to recommend something it would be to play both (that's what I do), both game are so different it's not something you have to choose between one or another, you can totally play both games and never be bored.

Thanks for your viewpoint. I played MtG a long long time ago (1st and 2nd editions along with Ice Age, Fallen Empires, Alliances, Urza's etc..) and enjoyed it immensely. I always wondered how it progressed. And yes, I remember the irritation at getting mana-screwed, but I also remember it being more complex than Gwent. Now, part of this is (of course) attributable to Gwent not having as many card sets out. However, just as you say MtG has crazy combos, so does Gwent, except with Gwent it's simple chain-point spamming. Maybe I am being nostalgic, but I favor MtG, right now because even back then, there were different ways of winning.

Another aspect of MtG I enjoyed from that time was playing with actual cards, and going to tournaments at various sites throughout the country. (I won a few regional qualifiers) I don't know if I'd enjoy the online version, as much.

Can't comment on the card art, since I only have experience with the physical versions. However, even with that comparison, I agree that Gwent is superior.

It makes me a bit sad that you say MtG has a lot of unusable cards; that makes me think WotC went the way of sheer (online) profit over game mechanics. I hope you were not too literal with that comment.

Top Bottom