Versatile card for 800 scraps

+
Versatile card for 800 scraps

Hi guys,
I've just gathered 800 scraps and thought I would craft a legendary card which could be used in as many decks as possible. I don't have many legendary cards, thus I thought I could get a really versatile one, not a deck-specific. I was considering Aeromancy, maybe Villentretenmerth or Ciri: Dash. Don't know which card would bring the most use. Or is it wiser to get 4 epic cards instead? I don't have that many of those either. What is your advice?
Knightlon

Knightlon;n7373410 said:
What is your advice?
  • Ciri: Dash is not worth it
  • Villentretenmerth has to have an accompanying tactic and can't be effectively used by many decks.
  • In the beginning, 4 epic cards will usually have a greater impact than 1 legendary.
If you were to craft a neutral all-round legendary, it would probably be:
  1. Aeromancy
  2. Gerald: Igni
  3. The Last Wish
  4. Octvist (mostly for decks that can ress)

Last edited:
4 epics are great but once you start having plenty of Epics you will def want to save 800 scraps.
Dont craft Decoy - Level 20 reward.

Some of the best Silver cards are Neutral Legendary and they can fill every deck (in no particular order)
Aeromancy
The Last Wish
Ocivist
King of Beggars
Operator
Myrgtabrakke
Roach (esp good in NR decks)

So thats my advice. You cant miss with those cards since they are Silver and there is always spot or two in any deck for those cards.
Gold on the other hand is much harder to pick since its only 4 spots per deck. Best Neutrals?
- Geralt Igni
- Drake
- Renew
- Yennefer
- Triss
- Zoltan

As for Ciri Dash its new card. Unless you are lucky or have fast cycling deck with FL, Last Wish, etc, strong card... You are better with epic Ciri.

masterring;n7373670 said:
King of Beggars
Operator
Myrgtabrakke
Roach (esp good in NR decks)
- Drake
- Renew
- Triss

I have to disagree with the above.
  • Myrgtabrakke is simply underwhelming.
  • Triss is also worse than similar legendaries.
So I wouldn't recommend either, ever. As for the rest...
  • Operator requires a strong combo card which can't be used in every deck.
  • King of Beggars also requires specific cards and isn't good in every deck.
  • Roach works well with shrooms, but can be countered too easily.
  • Drake? You mean Villentretenmerth? He has to have an accompanying tactic and can't be effectively used by many decks.
  • Renew could be used in every deck, but not every deck has a gold slot to spare.
They are not bad, but require specific combos to get the best result. As such, they shouldn't be the first choice.

Myrgtabrakke is great but probably not for a beginners deck. Villentretenmerth seems also wrong here. And cards like Operator might be too soon. Aeromancy... well... depends on the faction but it's not really the card I'd craft first (it's awesome though). But that's just my opinion.

Decoy and Igni can always make sense! Decoy is so strong that it's not a bad idea not to wait for level 20. But then again... with four epics you'll probably have a lot more fun playing Gwent. Of course I don't really know what you want to play. But a lot of epics are very very useful. Milva, Ciri (NOT Ciri Dash), Birna Bran and so on... just check out all of these cards and maybe try to take cards that might have some synergy together.

Guest 3973540

Great question! And great replies. I crafted my first legendary just yesterday, and it was Aeromancy. But before jumping to conclusions, here is how I would think about it.

1) First key question to OP is if it is a (relative) beginner's deck or not. Most legendaries require synergy from the deck, but some not.
2) Second key question is if you have place for a gold legendary or not. Maybe you have 4 great gold epics that you use.
3) Do you have a specific type of play in mind? Control, card advantage, whatever.
4) (you answered that) if you have a specific faction/leader in mind.
5) Any legendaries that you got from kegs.

Answers in my case:
1) - No, I was level 18 already, nerfed to 10, rose to 15. I had crafted a few epic cards like Ciri, Sigfrida, the dwarf-buffing dwarf, and more recently Aard. I play all factions and have a dozen of decks, so neither is particularly strong, but I am still unwilling to commit to one. So, the card to craft had to be versatile.
2) I had no easy place for more gold. It had to be silver. Also rules out some epics for me (the Mirror is very sweet...).
3) No, really a card which can decide the round all by itself.
4) No, but I give slight preference to Francesca and even with other decks I don't strive to draw the full deck (I play for fun not consistency), so e.g. Last Wish was not terribly interesting. Decoy is nice but I learned that I'll have it on level 20 :) soon enough in my case.
5) I really was lucky to get Igni in my very first keg.

Now, the conclusions:
* Geralt:Igni - the ultimate game-decider. Absolutely top, does not depend on anything else. You occasionally find it worth only 6 gold if the opp plays control, but against buffing combos it is unbeatable. Weather monsters tend to emphasize one row per round - with Igni weather decks will be your favorite opponents. The new D-shackles improve Igni even more (poor Hjalmar).
* Aeromancy - excellent synergy with Geralt:Aard (epic); also game-deciding. But that's 2 cards you need to have, and preferably a somewhat mature deck able to gain some card advantage (otherwise your weather will be just cleared by bronze Clear Skies).
* Last Wish - I don't have it, but I feel really need to have something valuable that you want to get from your deck.
* Ocvist - too often I just kill him at once when I see him on the field.
* Yennifer - seems very powerful and versatile. Ideal for board-spamming decks or against them, but on average may not be the game-decider you are looking for.

Hope that helps.

If you don't have many silver and gold cards yet, I would recommend getting 4 epics instead.

Maybe new leader cards. I like Dagon, Eithne and Harald much better than the starting leaders for their factions

Some suggestions:
Monster: Woodland Spirit, Caranthir, Ice Giant, Sarah (neutral card)
Skellige: Sigrdrifa, Restore, Ermion, birna Bran
Northern Realms: Shani, Nenneke
Scoia'tael: Ida Emean, Toruviel. Milva
Neutral: Lambert, Eskel, Vesemir, Ciri, Johnny (All 5 situational and not suitable for every deck)

I personally think it'll be better to buy 4 epics of a fraction you enjoy playing the most as they'll more then likely help more they a single legendary. If your REALLY want a neutral legendary then Geralt Igni would be to best. Ignoring Decoy as you get s free one, Geralt can go in many decks

A lot of good ideas for the OP here, everything standard seems to be covered.

But, why no love for Myrgtabrakke? It's a versatile unit, a good preparation for Scorch or Geralt Igni.
A good way to weaken Skellige without sending their units to the graveyard.
Also, normally, people tend to Decoy it or resurrect it for more destruction.
It's always, even if you get to use it but once, a 10 STR unit.

Don't hate Myrgtabrakke, just don't craft it before some other, more versatile cards.

cainite;n7375770 said:
Don't hate Myrgtabrakke, just don't craft it before some other, more versatile cards.

There wasn't any "hate" here, just one person who thought it was underwhelming :)

I have it in many of my decks but in my beginners deck as said before IMO it wouldn't be that useful.

devivre;n7377170 said:
There wasn't any "hate" here, just one person who thought it was underwhelming :)

I have it in many of my decks but in my beginners deck as said before IMO it wouldn't be that useful.

I know, it was a :huh:. A play on don't hate the player... well, you got it before all of this.

And, sure, there are a lot more useful ones to craft before the big M.

4RM3D;n7373590 said:
If you were to craft a neutral all-round legendary, it would probably be:

1. Aeromancy
  2. Gerald: Igni
  3. The Last Wish
  4. Octvist (mostly for decks that can ress)

Thanks, Igni and The Last Wish are actually my two so far legendaries :)

devivre;n7373850 said:
Decoy and Igni can always make sense! Decoy is so strong that it's not a bad idea not to wait for level 20.

800 scraps is quite a deal. I think I can wait the 5 more levels to get it for free ;)

xiong2mao;n7374190 said:
1) First key question to OP is if it is a (relative) beginner's deck or not. Most legendaries require synergy from the deck, but some not.
2) Second key question is if you have place for a gold legendary or not. Maybe you have 4 great gold epics that you use.
3) Do you have a specific type of play in mind? Control, card advantage, whatever.
4) (you answered that) if you have a specific faction/leader in mind.
5) Any legendaries that you got from kegs.

As I said, I don't have anything specific in mind. If I wanted, I would get some powerful card like Isengrim, Caretaker etc. But I really just want one that will find it's use in most of the decks I am ever going to make (something cards like scorch, commander's horn, lacerate, thunder etc. do).

gnarbrag;n7374330 said:
If you don't have many silver and gold cards yet, I would recommend getting 4 epics instead.

Maybe new leader cards. I like Dagon, Eithne and Harald much better than the starting leaders for their factions

Some suggestions:
Monster: Woodland Spirit, Caranthir, Ice Giant, Sarah (neutral card)
Skellige: Sigrdrifa, Restore, Ermion, birna Bran
Northern Realms: Shani, Nenneke
Scoia'tael: Ida Emean, Toruviel. Milva
Neutral: Lambert, Eskel, Vesemir, Ciri, Johnny (All 5 situational and not suitable for every deck)

I already own many of the cards you're mentioning (Spirit, Caranthir, Sarah, Sigr., Restore, Shani...).

Thank you all for your advice. I think I will go for Aeromancy as it probably best fits my requirements.
I know I could make 4 epics instead. However, I will keep playing and kegs will come, thus more and more rare and epic cards, not so many legendary ones. I think it's the same logic why not to craft many (or any) common cards in the very beginning - because you are soon supplied and glutted with them, leading to milling most of them later in the game. I do want to keep playing for a longer period of time and know that I will once possibly have all the cards once and legendaries will probably be the only missing in the end. Therefore it's not such a bad idea to craft one of them right now ;)

Once again thanks for hinting. Feel free to bring new opinions what legendary cards are the most useful.

Surprised to not see Zoltan: Animal tamer on this thread. I find it a very good and versatile card. Low risk, decent reward.

Aeromancy is amazing. It never feels like a "dead" card, because it can always cut your opponent off like minimum 8 value a round, but if you have, get or craft Geralt: Aard, you have a combo board clear that can wipe out an entire row. Not to mention, practically nobody actually uses First Light for the Clear Skies effect anyway. Otherwise Octvist, Villentretenmerth, Yennefer show up in a variety of decks.

You can also shore up Legendaries for whichever faction you play, grabbing the best of them (Bloody Baron of course, then Roche or Philippa or Dijkstra for NR, Aglais is amazing, then Iorveth for Scoia'tael, Hjalmar or Coral for NR, Caretaker or Kayran for Monsters, etc.)

If you opt for 4 Epics, Johnny shows up in a fair amount of decks, as does Geralt: Aard. After that, faction specific necessities like Nenneke and Prince Stennis and Priscilla, Sigfrida and Birna, Milva and Toruviel and Ciaran, Earth Elemental and Caranthir and Giant Toad, etc are a good craft.

There's hardly more versatile card than Yennefer - neutral, can do both massive buffs and debuffs for all rows at once.

Last edited:
OptoNick;n7390190 said:
There's hardly more versatile card than Yennefer - neutral, can do both massive buffs and debuffs for all rows at once.

Versatile? Yes, but not without risk. (De)buffing everything is a double-edged sword. Usually you *can* use it to your advantage. But there are only a few combos where it really shines. Because she takes up a valuable gold slot, I wouldn't blindly pick her; not as a first choice, at least.

4RM3D;n7390350 said:
Versatile? Yes, but not without risk. (De)buffing everything is a double-edged sword. Usually you *can* use it to your advantage. But there are only a few combos where it really shines. Because she takes up a valuable gold slot, I wouldn't blindly pick her; not as a first choice, at least.

IDK, there's little to no risk in using Yen - if you have more cards on table it's Unicorn, if less - it's Chironex. There are a very few exceptions to this rule - don't use Chironex before opponent's Harald the Cripple; sometimes it's best to kill off opponent's 2 strength cards even it's not immediately profitable.

I crafted Geralt: Igni, it feels awesome and I totally recommend crafting it first! I don't know about 1 legendary vs 4 epics discusion, but I wanted to craft a legendary as I gathered 800 scraps and this one is playable in any deck, so it was totally worth it.

Top Bottom