Very Angry - charging £50 and doesn't work with M+K

+
Very Angry - charging £50 and doesn't work with M+K

Having excitingly booted this game up, having played through the Witcher 1 and 2 multiple times I was excited.

But, within 10 minutes of playing it became apparent the mouse and keyboard controls, border on unplayable. Running, is like ice-skating. The menus work horrible with the mouse and keyboard, combat is hard not because the the game itself is difficult, but because I'm battling the controls.

I have ti ask, how did you miss this? Was the game so concentrated on consoles that something as obvious as this could not be seen? Or just too much man power?

I checked steam today, and I see this is priced at £49.99. For comparison, UK game prices are generally £29.99 to £39.99.

For example: Grand Theft Auto 5 is priced at £39.99

I have to say, it takes some gall to release a game that almost borders as unplayable with the default control scheme and expect people to pay higher than average.

Yea, yea, the console versions are getting good reviews. The PC version (you know, the place that supported you and where the franchise was founded) is horrific.

Really, really miffed. And don't want to support you guys in the future if this is what can be expected.

Works fine. Stop looking for things to complain about.

You think these mouse and keyboard controls are fine? I don't think that's a terribly objective viewpoint.

i'm not looking for things to complain about, I want the game to be great, I was hyped to high heck for it.

where totaly over sensitiv the controls .. easy to fix with a look in the settings .. nothing to complain about ... dose not play worse then w2 .. so i dont understand what the problem is

Surely both your opinions on the m+k controls are subjective, anyway I will reserve judgement until I have a chance to test them out myself.

There is a hardware mouse setting, make sure it is selected. Should help with your woes.

Just wanted to add that I find all these complaints about mouse and keyboard very strange. There is little difference between TW3 and other games.

You think these mouse and keyboard controls are fine? I don't think that's a terribly objective viewpoint.

i'm not looking for things to complain about, I want the game to be great, I was hyped to high heck for it.

Man, hook a controller onto ur pc if you find that controls arent that nice.
I just have landed in the open world, and up to now i didnt have any problem at all.
Could be that you suffer some input lag tho, so enable that hardware mouse pointer found somewhere in the options..
But really, it could be a bit better, but unplayable, no definitely not :)

@Mrbobo1 - The main setting that seems to help is to enable the hardware cursor which, for some reason, is in the Videos settings. Also adjust the mouse settings themselves.

I've been playing on and off for the last 7 hours on K&M with no problems, and, as you can see, so have others. If you prefer NOT to throw away the game at this point, it's probably better to treat this as something specific to your settings rather than as the game being incapable of it. This should be a solvable problem.

If tweaking the settings doesn't work, please re-post with any relevant details - is your mouse a gaming one with it's own settings?

I'm also going to move this into Tech Support rather than the main forum.

I lowered sensitivity to a minimum. Controls are at this point excellent. Do you even own a game?

Other than what others have mentioned. M+K will be a lot more sensitive to lower frame rate. It will produce a 'laggier' feel to it. More so than if you were using a controller.

Also, always play around the the default settings before coming to the conclusion something doesn't work.

@Dragonbird I'm fairly sure that they put the hw cursor into the video settings, because it can affect performance in certain situations. Ofc depending on your system, etc.

Last edited:
Not sure what so many people are complaining about either. M/K works just fine for me, if a bit sluggish when changing direction (but I got used to that quickly). I've put 7 hours in so far (because thanks to this game, I've lost control of my life).

@Mrbobo1

I have played with KB/M for a few hours and they feel good, one of the biggest improvement I noticed is the responsiveness of controls compared to TW2, obviously some buttons needs to be reassigned and I will program the blank keys on my keyboard to make signs usable with one key rather than select first then use but that's just my preference.

Maybe if you explain what exactly feels off to you then we can help you ? and how menus are horrible ? I found them to be very simple to use with KB/M.

Same here. I personally find that TW3' m/k is an improvement over TW2 (and I just played TW2 not long ago while waiting for TW3).

Have you tweaked your mouse settings? Are you using a $5 notebook mouse? Is your FPS terribly bad (< 30FPS)? Is it simply because you are not use to the controls yet? Give it a little more time maybe?

Simply claiming that "this game does not work with M+K" must be because developer putting too much effort into controllers is:
Firstly an exaggeration and secondly not informative enough for anyone to do anything about it.

I disagree. Turning seems to have an annoying 1-2 second delay, it was more responsive in the first two games. In other games (e.g. Batman Arkham City), mouse and keyboard works fluent, I prefer it over the Xbox360 pad.

Running with Shift+WASD, the player is uncontrollable.

The default Alt+WASD for dodge, what were they thinking?

Hitting tab before, a mouse curser would come up for picking powers, now it seems primarily designed with a thumbstick in mind,

The main menu keeps coming up with "mouse and keyboard found" constantly, I haven't even got the pad plugged in.

Lots of weird, convoluted controls.

Can't help but think the pc was an afterthought, and as said in the original post, when you are charging £50 as opposed to £40, under-delivering very basic and expected stuff, it's difficult not to be miffed.

I've been playing with k&m with few problems, although I did have to drop the mouse sensitivity down to play (I'm using 0.2 for menus and 0.5 in game) - the only issue I've come across is that I am unable to place some cards on the field in Gwent no matter how many times I hit the enter button (I've forfeited a few rounds because I only had cards I couldn't play left in my hand)

@rodrigj - You have already posted your concerns on keyboard layout in another thread, please do not hijack this one, as it's on a different topic. Your post has been removed.

@Mrbobo1 - it is, of course, your choice. But if you are willing to work with others in these forums to sort out the settings, people will be willing to help.

Last edited:
Well might be me not figuring stuff out fast enough... But must admit i hate the menus.. to get out of them i have to smash escape multiple times(like 5 times..) go into map, and i press esc... and why am i not back in game again... makes no sense(for pc at least) Had multiple instances where the buttons flicker and i have to smash esc rapidly to move menus at all. And how exactly do i go direktly to the menu with the big buttons? (that you get to when you pres i and esc) And using page up/down to change menu tabs? wtffff thats on the wrong side of the keyboard... 12345678 would be better.

Last edited:
The default controls in general are bad imo. I reconfigured some aspects (changing witcher sight to heavy attack and my fourth mouse button to block an fifth to roll) but it still feels really clunky on the mouse and keyboard.

Likewise who thought putting targeting to "Z" was a good idea?

Was this game 99% play-tested on the PS4? I imagine you just use a shoulder button for targeting on the pad yes?

Any pc gamer who played 10 minutes of this would be able to look at the control scheme and say "this isn't very great".

Last edited:
Top Bottom