Very disappointed with the combat

+
If u want to roll/dodge/jump using just one key .. u could download .. use autohotkey to do something like this:

1.Space key just one quick press and release=jump/roll
2.Space key press and hold=dodge
(space+shift=roll/jump, useful when u want to swim up)

In the game options bind the dodge key to "y" (so u can still use the alt key for something else), leave roll/jump on space(in the game options screen the game let's u bind the same key to roll and jump .. default is space), paste the autohotkey script in notepad save with the extension akh (dodge.ahk) and run it.

$space::
LongPress := 120
StartTime := A_TickCount
Loop
{
ElapsedTime := A_TickCount - StartTime
if (ElapsedTime > LongPress)
{
break
}
if not GetKeyState("space", "P")
break
}

if (ElapsedTime < LongPress)
{
sendinput {space down}
sleep 64
sendinput {space up}
}
else
{
while GetKeyState("space", "P")
{
sendinput {y down}
sleep 64
sendinput {y up}
}
}
return

Last edited:
I disagree with the OP completely. I like the combat. I find it entertaining and fast paced. If you want boring garbage that you want to call amazing go and play Skyrim.

I dont like it either so far. Every fight is just rolling around and then spin slashing until they die. It is too easy to lure individuals out of the pack and just spin attack spin attack roll roll spin attack win.

It does get annoying when you get stun locked out of no where though. I usually end up just spamming roll until it rolls out of the way.

I also don't feel like leveling up has progressed or changed combat in the slightest. Feels like right out of the gate I had every spell and every move I would need. I would of rather had to learn skills and moves and combos as I level so at least I feel some type of progression.

I believe combat controls work out okay, and think the OP may just have been posting while still early in the game. I remember getting taken apart by groups of enemies when I first got in to Velen. Not the case anymore.

What I really have problems with, however, is how the AI attacks for most enemies: Attack, take hits, jump back/disappear, attack... Repeat. Although this pattern isn't inherently bad, the fact that the enemy will use the same attack move every time, no surprises, gets very boring.

If you disregard preparation for individual enemy types, the actual tactics used in combat end up being incredibly simple. I wish the move-set of enemies was better developed as I don't get nearly as much satisfaction from fights as I do from other parts of the game.

I dont like it either so far. Every fight is just rolling around and then spin slashing until they die. It is too easy to lure individuals out of the pack and just spin attack spin attack roll roll spin attack win.

It does get annoying when you get stun locked out of no where though. I usually end up just spamming roll until it rolls out of the way.

I also don't feel like leveling up has progressed or changed combat in the slightest. Feels like right out of the gate I had every spell and every move I would need. I would of rather had to learn skills and moves and combos as I level so at least I feel some type of progression.

Or you could challenge yourself instead of just doing the same thing over and over? Try mixing up your combat instead of complaining about it. There are plenty of ways to approach combat in this game. Utilize bombs, use different signs, try countering instead of just wildly swinging and spamming roll... You CHOOSE to play that way.

Yeah, and you take three times more to kill things nor can you cast signs many times because your stamina is always depleted. Good job. Learn when to dodge and when to roll, you will become much better at killing things and you will enjoy the combat much more.

I think the OP lost me from the very start, claiming that combat's never been good in Witcher games. I loved the combat in The Witcher 2. I managed to beat the game on Dark Mode, which puts focus on succeeding at the combat with how brutal it can be. So, I'm not surprised if you didn't like the combat in the previous game that you wouldn't like it in the new one. The combat was tough, and you had to mix things up to survive. You're a Witcher...you need to keep moving, you need to use signs, you need to mix things up with bombs or knives. It's the same case here in The Witcher 3.

I think you could try going one way or the other. Either go very easy, so that fights are over fast enough for you to wrap it quickly. Or go harder, where maybe you'll enjoy the challenge.

As for dodging and the alt key, you can double tap the movement keys to dodge as well. I find this a little easier to time.

Don't know what you mean.

Intelligent use of signs never felt better to me, the usefulness of dodge and roll as two variation of evasion are great especially with changing monster patterns and Geralt finally feels like a real Witcher. Can't say a lot about the stun lock. Maybe there is a way to build a resistance to it (equipment, skills, etc.) but I haven't experienced a lot of stuns on me yet.

If it is really so hard for you reduce the difficulty.

Yeah, and you take three times more to kill things nor can you cast signs many times because your stamina is always depleted. Good job. Learn when to dodge and when to roll, you will become much better at killing things and you will enjoy the combat much more.

Didn't say it was hard. It just sucks. It's boring. It's the same thing over and over.

---------- Updated at 08:55 PM ----------

Or you could challenge yourself instead of just doing the same thing over and over? Try mixing up your combat instead of complaining about it. There are plenty of ways to approach combat in this game. Utilize bombs, use different signs, try countering instead of just wildly swinging and spamming roll... You CHOOSE to play that way.

Why should I have to force combat to flow a certain way? I use signs and bombs sometimes but they are highly ineffective (except for the shield). My crossbow hits like a wet noodle and it is clunky.

It's much more effective to just dance around and then swoop in with the sword spinning crap and dance away again once you see the obvious telegraphed attack coming.

Combat is horrible. Super easy to win and super repetitive.

Not me... I'm digging the combat for the most part.The only thing I don't like, is seeing the stupid red and white floating names/ xp/damage numbers over monsters and animals, in and out of combat.CDPR Please... let us turn that OFF. :)I have turned all other things off on my console just to enjoy the game and it's awesome world, but sadly.. for now, until it's patched I'm stuck looking at that crap. ;)So far I really like this game though.. it just needs some more fine tuning and touch ups! More player ON/OFF options and a better frame rate, less floating npc's. I like how close the camera gets to Geralt when he's carrying to much stuff, it would be a nice gameplay option. If we are carrying to much just slow him down or if players want they can keep that little red buffer notice on, I turn it off but to each their own.I wish the horse mounting was more like RDR, I don't like having to hold the button down. The last 2 things... I really want, is to turn off all icon button prompts and floating text info over npc heads in the game, ALL of IT. Also.. I want to map the buttons on my gamepad myself, I keep pushing B to roll like It was in TW2 :)

Didn't say it was hard. It just sucks. It's boring. It's the same thing over and over.

No, you said you only rolled around and attacked lone targets. THIS is boring. You obviously don't know the difference between dodging and rolling and how to use the two properly. If you just roll around like an idiot trying to have targets separated for then attack them it's obvious you find it boring. If you continue to roll around you can do that only as rolling takes stamina and that means you can only use one sign every once in a while (and I can bet how much you want that would be Quen in your case, isn't it?). Learn to DODGE instead and use rolling only when needed. Dodging doesn't take stamina and it enables you to create openings so you can attack immediately (rolling gets you too far away). Also learn when to properly counter. If you learn to properly dodge and counter and using rolling only when surrounded you will see that the combat will be much more enjoyable. First of all because it flows much better, secondly because stamina isn't always depleted and so you can mix signs, thirdly because it takes more skill and so it is much more gratifying when you can do it well.

You are using a really basic tactic and blaming the combat because it is monotonous. EVERY combat is boring if you use always the same tactic over and over and over, especially if that tactic is very cheesy as in this case, even in real life. The only difference is that in real life you will get your butt kicked since your adversary would understand what you do and then you are screwed.

---------- Updated at 09:44 PM ----------

Not me... I'm digging the combat for the most part.The only thing I don't like, is seeing the stupid red and white floating names/ xp/damage numbers over monsters and animals, in and out of combat.CDPR Please... let us turn that OFF. :)I have turned all other things off on my console just to enjoy the game and it's awesome world, but sadly.. for now, until it's patched I'm stuck looking at that crap. ;)So far I really like this game though.. it just needs some more fine tuning and touch ups! More player ON/OFF options and a better frame rate, less floating npc's. I like how close the camera gets to Geralt when he's carrying to much stuff, it would be a nice gameplay option. If we are carrying to much just slow him down or if players want they can keep that little red buffer notice on, I turn it off but to each their own.I wish the horse mounting was more like RDR, I don't like having to hold the button down. The last 2 things... I really want, is to turn off all icon button prompts and floating text info over npc heads in the game, ALL of IT. Also.. I want to map the buttons on my gamepad myself, I keep pushing B to roll like It was in TW2 :)

The names are boring yes, but the red bar is quite handy, especially at beginning, to learn when to counter properly, since it flashes red. Without that cue you need to be very well accustomed to the right timing to counter properly because different weapons have different animations and hence different timeframes in which a counter can be activated. Naturally if it is an ON/OFF thing it is fine, but I can see already some people disabling the health bar and then complaining because they cannot counter anymore or it is too difficult.

Last edited:
Loving the Combat. Feels a little bit like Dark Souls but more "Witcher" if you know what I mean. Lots of dodgin, rolling reacting, finding the right moment to strike, intelligently combining signs. Signs were never so useful without seeming to be overpowered IMO.

Dude. In reality if you are fighting like 10 people. You aren't gonna win. So at least this game lets you win if you try to play smart. Cause they won't battle you 1v1

Top Bottom