Vesemir and the Wolf School

+
Vesemir and the Wolf School

I think most of us feel quite fond of Vesemir. But I've been thinking about him. He's a few hundred years old - the oldest Witcher alive - and I assume he was responsible for training the youths of Geralt's generation and before. So he must've been part of the process (maybe even the only overseer latterly in the Wolf School) whereby 70% of boys suffered agonising deaths.

It's difficult to reconcile the avuncular old man, clearly loved by many of our characters, with a mass murderer.

I noticed in the books he isn't quite so trustworthy. Triss has to stop him from touching her bottom, the dirty old man!

I am also wondering who the youngest living witcher is. The Cat School chap Geralt encounters in TW3 seems younger. And I think Lambert is of a later generation than Eskel and Geralt? Anyone know of any others from the Wolf School? Letho's a Viper, isn't he?

I believe Leo was the latest addition to the school of the Wolf, the youngest member that still alive is Ciri.

It's difficult to reconcile the avuncular old man, clearly loved by many of our characters, with a mass murderer.
Vesemir was only a fencing instructor and had nothing to do with the mutations so he wasn't a mass murderer however according to Lambert he was responsible for the deaths of some of the boys during other trials.

I am also wondering who the youngest living witcher is. The Cat School chap Geralt encounters in TW3 seems younger. And I think Lambert is of a later generation than Eskel and Geralt?
The Cat school witcher (Gaetan) is definitely younger than Geralt but he ain't a young witcher since his little sister died of old age so he is probably over 70. As for Lambert, Yes he is younger than Geralt and Eskel.

Anyone know of any others from the Wolf School?
There was another Wolf named Berengar in the first game.
http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Berengar

Last edited:
There is a list on this page:

http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Kaer_Morhen

But there is no mention of the witcher that died on Toussaint(from the quest of GM Wolven Gear)

-Leo was not a Witcher
-Lambert was the last witcher trained on the world probably, since all the other schools are dead for quite some time.

Last edited:
Lambert was the last witcher trained on the world probably, since all the other schools are dead for quite some time.
I doubt that because we don't know when the other schools stopped training new witchers and Lambert is only the youngest witcher in the wolf school not the whole world.If you ask me, Serrit is probably the youngest witcher since he looks pretty young.
http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Serrit

Last edited:
You may say that they are half witchers. The Leo that I mentioned is the one from that list, but he never undergone the mutations.

It is said: [...]Leo is not a full witcher, because has not undergone the mutations[...]

Ciri is about the same, she received training, but not mutations.

And on the first game, Vesemir mentions two other schools(Bear and Griffin probably), Letho on W2 mentions that the schools on the South(Viper+?) are dead for a long time, maybe there is a witcher from the Cat school that can be younger, but not way to be certain, they were the last to fall probably.

I wonder whether it would be worth training a few talented individuals in Witchery without the mutations? Just to have a ready stream of people ready to do Witchery jobs when necessary. Although the monster work is dying out, so are the Witchers and there will always be a need for someone to protect the villagers, even if it's just from bandits.

The problem is: A few tough soldiers/mercenaries can handle a bunch of Drowners, Nekkers, Rotfiends, even Forktails and so on. But Leshens, Fiends, Arachas(without mutations the poison can easily kill), and other monsters that full Plate armor means nothing? The training is not enough because you don't get the reflexes, the whole point for witchers not using heavy armor are the superhuman speed and reflexes they get through the mutations. Ciri is another story.

The problem is: A few tough soldiers/mercenaries can handle a bunch of Drowners, Nekkers, Rotfiends, even Forktails and so on. But Leshens, Fiends, Arachas(without mutations the poison can easily kill), and other monsters that full Plate armor means nothing? The training is not enough because you don't get the reflexes, the whole point for witchers not using heavy armor are the superhuman speed and reflexes they get through the mutations. Ciri is another story.
Yeah, I agree. And let's not forget the Witcher Senses that alert them to danger and help them track. But I was thinking ahead (in this imaginary world!) to a time fast approaching where the worst monsters have been eradicated. The Trial of the Grasses is too cruel to reinstate, but it would still be useful to have a small elite group trained in other Witcher skills so as to protect people when necessary from the minor monsters that will always be with us - wild animals and murderous humans.

Yeah, I agree. And let's not forget the Witcher Senses that alert them to danger and help them track. But I was thinking ahead (in this imaginary world!) to a time fast approaching where the worst monsters have been eradicated. The Trial of the Grasses is too cruel to reinstate, but it would still be useful to have a small elite group trained in other Witcher skills so as to protect people when necessary from the minor monsters that will always be with us - wild animals and murderous nonhumans.
Order of Flaming Rose got it covered. There is no need of witchers for common bandits that job belongs to the local lord in feudal society.

The Order is no more. Common bandits must be dealt with by the guards/soldiers from said country. For monsters, you have mercenaries(Crinfrid Reavers and so on).
The training alone is not enough, you can learn all the combat skills of a Witcher, but with no superhuman reflexes, high resistance to toxins and the healing capacity, you can't do much. Take a Katakan for instance. Their claws cut plate armor like through butter. A Fiend, that can hypnotize you, and smash/rip you to shreds.

Sure it would be more costly in terms of human lives but its Doable + If we are going by the books monsters are no longer existential threat to humans and in such situation to bring back such barbarism against children is unmoral idea.

Sure it would be more costly in terms of human lives but its Doable + If we are going by the books monsters are no longer existential threat to humans and in such situation to bring back such barbarism against children is unmoral idea.

Definitely - the method of getting Witchers was barbaric. I was just thinking that they do have other (albeit diluted without the mutations) amazing fighting skills whose tradition might be worth preserving. We don't see many other good swordsmen around in the Witcher world, and it is a useful thing combined with the honour, self-sacrifice and neutrality of the best Witchers.

The Order is no more
You're wrong about that, there is still a group under the leadership of Siegfried De Lowe and they help people for coin Also The Order sent Arthur Tailles as their representative in the Knight's tourney in Tousaint, That means The Order is still active.

Are these flaming rose people 'good'? I've only played TW3 and they seemed to be enemies... also, not very strong enemies at that... my Geralt wiped them out in no time.

No. No surprise that in the end they had become
the Witch Hunters,
the racists they were. The ones that you met in HoS are no better, I don't know about those under Siegfried de Lowe, but every man who worships the Eternal Fire is a SoB.

Top Bottom