Video call shows person in black background

+
One thing that looks jarring to me is that during a phone call, the person at the other end is shown in a video window with a black background. I wonder why a live background isn't used. It was used in the 2018 E3 gameplay video. Even though that video had fake gameplay footage, using a live background would make sense in that situation. V's phone is clearly a video phone like Skype or Zoom that is supposed to show a live person in a live background. The person has full animation with proper lighting and shadows, indicating this is not an avatar or something like that. We know game content has been cut, but would it be that much work to just add a static background just to make it more realistic? And if a solid background had to be used, why black? Black makes it look like the person is in a police interrogation room with bright light shining on him or her.

Personally I'm paying attention to the person and what they're saying, not what's going on , or not, in the background. What next, wanting a reply option along the lines of 'Can you move your head slightly to the left, I want to check the prices in that shop window behind you'? It's similar to present day video calls where people have the background blurred out or blanked out. Personally that doesn't kill my immersion right there and then, in game or out of it, but each to their own.

It's a feature that would be good (I'm always happy for more immersion), but as stated above, players are focusing on other things.

I would actually prefer to make more conversations face-to-face, not utilize the phone. So much conversation over the phone (which you btw cannot opt out of), makes me think they had to skimp on animations.

Or that this game was designed to be rushed through.

I see the point you make with this thread, but I´d like to think about this as a realistic addition. Since it seems like every call is a videocall in the world of CP, for me it makes sense to have plain backgrounds. Just because you´re talking over the phone with somebody, doesn´t mean you want to share information about your surroundings with them.
So along the lines of what Lincoln2020 says, I consider this a feature of the phones in the future :p

I phoned Kerry when i was in the city center, we was talking as you do, an i was thinking man your voice sounds weird, so i just happened to turn V round an lo an behold Kerrys sitting in midair behind me with his feet stretched out, so i continue to talk to him then hangup an poof he disappears.

I knew he was a rockstar, never did know he was a magician aswell

Personally I'm paying attention to the person and what they're saying, not what's going on , or not, in the background. What next, wanting a reply option along the lines of 'Can you move your head slightly to the left, I want to check the prices in that shop window behind you'? It's similar to present day video calls where people have the background blurred out or blanked out. Personally that doesn't kill my immersion right there and then, in game or out of it, but each to their own.

If you want to pay more attention to the conversation, then you don't need to see the video window at all. Just make it a voice-only call. If a video window is present, it needs to serve some purpose. E.g. the video would let V see and hear a nightclub, street traffic, gunfire sound, etc., at the location of the other person. It would greatly enhance the dramatic feel -- instead of seeing the other person who appears to be in a vacuum or something.

Top Bottom