Villains' Discussion

+
Cyberkowloon;n9265101 said:
Let's have some nano-kungfu masters! Jetpecks inside legs! And you can hack their hands to make them self-explode!

I like them more mechanical (than nano)... Like these guys:

The only good thing about Robocop 3.

Or some near-alien, 鐵男 style machine men as special enemy. As good reference and tribute to Japanese cyberpunk films

kofeiiniturpa;n9265151 said:
I like them more mechanical (than nano)... Like these guys:

The only good thing about Robocop 3.

This one's great. Now, maybe the shadow boss of this agent is a huge fan of traditional Chinese clothing, so great he or she wears them every day. Yet, No one knows if there are weapons beneath the costumes. :D

Lisbeth_Salander;n9258411 said:
Let's just discuss anything villain related. What kind of villain would you like to see in CP2077?

perhaps someone comparable to Shohreh Aghdashloo's character "Chrisjen Avasarala" in The Expanse.. at least of the first season, first few episodes

kind of an anti-villain, a head of state, one of the (many, the few) oligarch's of a corporation, government, etc... a hefty weight upon their shoulders in which they hold much of the public's life in their hands, unable to be a true utopian hero or a dystopian villain... not inherently 'evil' but with a conflicted and layered background that makes it difficult to determine their true motives as typical court intrigue goes. in a sense, a double agent bureaucrat that discretely tugs at frayed threads to see where it leads, engages in minor corruption to expose the larger... but one that puts country above even self preservation, although certainly not selfless.

I think the realities of the game that like the trailer suggests certain aspects are unavoidable but likely happen in a smaller percentage and the game comes at a point where there's a manufactured or pressured increase of these events yet the society can't truly go back to the way it was... likely the result of new diseases and other infections, environmental conditions, overpopulation, etc, situations beyond just technology 'big brother' makes it impossible to move completely off the grid, to homestead or even live isolated in a lofty tower... like a less than 1% survival rate for those that aren't minimally treated 'biohacked' or modded in someway. The dangers are with the heavily modified but likely a number of cases involving those with few - like a large increase in mental health conditions, too large to be a mere coincidence from a top down view but from a bottom up just looks like hysteria with a few lower level bureaucrats or gangs taking advantage of it.

so, it's likely an event started by an external source, group -- one that was probably handled early on (and still may have been pawns, themselves, influenced by an internal agitator) but now we're dealing with the aftershocks of multiple groups trying to take advantage of it as a cheat in the system has been discovered and those with the power to abuse it, whether only narrow or far wider, are abusing it for their own gains. There's still likely an us vs them somewhere, govt vs govt, that unites the people in the larger sense even if on the more personal level it's self preservation all the way.

so, perhaps a lot of little enemies with an overlapping war (to which the main character may influence or be a pawn of but never directly engage with... so, classic greek (tragedy) gods vs mere (that might have some godly favor, but largely operate down on earth) mortals) that might allow it expand into sequels... to which they create big enough ripples that the powers that be take notice but as bound to the rules of this world as the common citizen may be - powerless to change it in any substantial way yet remains the first bunny cop of zootopia, creating a new sense of hope in the common folk, even as they continue to largely fk it up.

What the game really needs for that true sense of verisimilitude are those supercilious, sanctimonious pricks that make our daily lives an unending misery. The guy who cuts you off on the road. The coworker that grasses you out to get ahead. The cashier that looks at you like a daft cow when you ask the simplest question. The list is endless.

Big villains are needed, but it's this sort human excrement that would be encountered most often.

4meg;n9283531 said:
What the game really needs for that true sense of verisimilitude are those supercilious, sanctimonious pricks that make our daily lives an unending misery. The guy who cuts you off on the road. The coworker that grasses you out to get ahead. The cashier that looks at you like a daft cow when you ask the simplest question. The list is endless.

Big villains are needed, but it's this sort human excrement that would be encountered most often.

Isn't the annoying villain type way more common in stories than the opposite?

Perhaps there should be a likable villain that almost makes us want to get close to. An attractive, charismatic, neutral villain with the ability to make you see things in his perspective, to the point where he doens't seem to be such a bad guy, while still being the bad guy. Imagine a villain so umpredictable that sometimes he helps the main character because he likes him/her.

Making a love-neutral relationship between the Villain and the Main Character is the way to go.

Lisbeth_Salander;n9283661 said:
Isn't the annoying villain type way more common in stories than the opposite?

Perhaps there should be a likable villain that almost makes us want to get close to. An attractive, charismatic, neutral villain with the ability to make you see things in his perspective, to the point where he doens't seem to be such a bad guy, while still being the bad guy. Imagine a villain so umpredictable that sometimes he helps the main character because he likes him/her.

Making a love-neutral relationship between the Villain and the Main Character is the way to go.

Hank Scorpio comes to mind.

04cecab574df072c086eacf7a0217ec1--simpsons-party-los-simpsons.jpg

Attachments

• 04cecab574df072c086eacf7a0217ec1--simpsons-party-los-simpsons.jpg
    04cecab574df072c086eacf7a0217ec1--simpsons-party-los-simpsons.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 52
Vaas, from Farcry 3, is one of my alltime favorit villains in videogames.

There is something about Vaas which is just so damn compelling. When ever I see those scenes from the game with him, where he goes on one of his ranting monologs, he just pulls me compleatly in and make me listen. Another aspect of him, which is really cool to, is that Vaas sort of reflects what your character in the game could potentually become if he forgoes his "good side" and stark feeding his "bad side" instead. Because from what you find out about Vaas as you play is that he essentually started out as being sort of the islands hero and then through the manipulation of his sister (Vaas killed his first person because of her for example), and eventually being thrown out by her, etc, he goes down this really dark path that leads to him becoming who he is when we meet him in the game.

Now... I am not asking for CDPR to make a character just like him... Vaas is Vaas after all, and just recreating him like that would maybe not work for CP2077 (and a lot of people would probably give CDPR shit if they did something like that)... no, what I guess I am asking for is to have villains in the game which can pull you in as Vaas does.

And I guess I am also asking CDPR to really pay attention during your audition process for Cyberpunk 2077, because there is a chance you might find a diamond amongst the auditioners, which might compleatly give you a really good character idea due to it.

Because originaly this character, Vaas, did not exist in Farcry 3. The character was supposed to have be a 2 meters tall (about 6'6" tall) stoic sociopath named Bull, it sounded like he did not really have much of a unique personality at all (sounded like it was a very run of the mill type of a villain character). And the actor who in the end plays Vaas, Michael Mando, decided that he would essentually do what ever he could to not give them that from his audition, and instead did something compleatly different in his audition for that role. Of course, he did not get the role for Bull, clearly... but what it did do though was that due to Michael Mando doing something compleatly different, doing his own thing with it, the developers found a character which they really liked... and as such compleatly rewrote that particular character, basing it on Michael Mando and his audition, where they decided to use his likeness to how Vaas looks in the game as well... Michael Mando did of course get the role as well, and did do all the voice acting and the motion capture of the character as well. Sometime going of script payes off, and this is one of those times where it very much so did.

So yeah... keep an eye out in your audition process CDPR, because you might just happen to find something really good in there that could lead to a really cool character.

As seen in the image below, Vaas actually says it pretty good him self... when aplied to most things in life, but also to the audition process in a way I guess:

Vaas was indeed an interesting character (a bit overrated in my opinion, but good nonetheless). Too bad the game itself wasn't very fun.

----

Also...
Christopher Walken did a good job as Max Zorin in A View to a Kill. Smart and deranged in a very entertaining fashion.

Last edited:
Antagonists were varied in the original tabletop RPG. From gang members to police officers to federal agents to mafiosi.

There is absolutely no shortage of possible antagonists for the game. Hell, they could be in the exact or similair profession as the protag potentially! The protagonist may not even be better than them, or potentially be worse than them if the player so chooses.

Last edited:
Ok, I'm a long time C.P 2020 player/GM and if experience has taught me anything it is simply this: " There simply is no such thing as a "villain" per se in Cyberpunk. Everything is sort of like it is in "real life": Varying "shades of grey. The worst scum is capable of "acts of kindness" and the most "saintly" can slip and fall. Even a Cyberpsycho might be justified in their own minds. To be real, a "villain" is anyone who opposes a character's goals.

Calistarius;n9286421 said:
There is something about Vaas which is just so damn compelling. When ever I see those scenes from the game with him, where he goes on one of his ranting monologs, he just pulls me compleatly in and make me listen. Another aspect of him, which is really cool to, is that Vaas sort of reflects what your character in the game could potentually become if he forgoes his "good side" and stark feeding his "bad side" instead. Because from what you find out about Vaas as you play is that he essentually started out as being sort of the islands hero and then through the manipulation of his sister (Vaas killed his first person because of her for example), and eventually being thrown out by her, etc, he goes down this really dark path that leads to him becoming who he is when we meet him in the game.

Vaas reminds me of The Joker a lot. They're both psychopaths who want to watch the world burn. I didn't know why The Joker from The Dark Knight was so compelling until I saw this video.

CDPR can have petty villians but we also need compelling antagonists to look forward to. There's so much potential and I hope CDPR doesn't overlook this. Because I believe this is the backbone of compelling storyline.

mcflurry928;n9345151 said:
Vaas reminds me of The Joker a lot. They're both psychopaths who want to watch the world burn. I didn't know why The Joker from The Dark Knight was so compelling until I saw this video.

CDPR can have petty villians but we also need compelling antagonists to look forward to. There's so much potential and I hope CDPR doesn't overlook this. Because I believe this is the backbone of compelling storyline.

The absolutely mag'fucking'nificent video I never get tired of watching.

John Troby's greatest quotes from the video:

"Create an opponent that is exceptionally good at attacking the hero's greatest weaknesses."

"TRUE CHARACTER is revealed in the choices a human makes under pressure - the greater the pressure, the greater the revelation the deeper the revelation the truer the choice to the character's essential nature."

"It is only by competing for the same goal that the hero and the opponent are forced to come into direct conflict and to do so again and again throughout the story."

And most importantly, how Batman becomes WISER and changes because of the Joker.

RLKing1969;n9289081 said:
Ok, I'm a long time C.P 2020 player/GM and if experience has taught me anything it is simply this: " There simply is no such thing as a "villain" per se in Cyberpunk. Everything is sort of like it is in "real life": Varying "shades of grey. The worst scum is capable of "acts of kindness" and the most "saintly" can slip and fall. Even a Cyberpsycho might be justified in their own minds. To be real, a "villain" is anyone who opposes a character's goals.

My thoughts exactly, and I said the same thing years ago in these about heroes, there are none in Night City, only people trying to get by and survive the street. Whether it be the guy on the street or the suit in the boardroom, it's all about survival with no black or white.

mcflurry928;n9345151 said:
Strange thing... I have never really liked the Joker as a character... in fact, I find him to actually be fairly boring and uninteresting... but then again, I actually find close to all DC comic characters to be boring... yes, even Batman. XD I still like the movies and all, and I really enjoyed Heath Ledgers verison of the Joker (but that was very much so due to Heath Ledger which was one of my favorit actors at the time, and not the character it's self)... but I still find all the DC characters to be boring, and have no interest what so ever in reading any DC comics due to that. The only DC character I have ever liked in comicbook form, was Lobo. XD

Anyway... for some reason, when ever I see the Joker (atleast the ones who are not the Heath Ledger version), I tend to start rolling my eyes at the character... I just don't find him interesting at all. Vaas feels way more interesting to me then the Joker ever have. XD

My comic interests where always with Marvel's things, and some of Image Comics stuff as well (Spawn, Witchblade, and Darkness).

Top Bottom