Vimme Vivaldi's New Appearance (Patch 1.30)

+
People on the web were speculating that perhaps they choose to remake Vivaldi because they needed a more unique look (compared to the other dwarves) for a Gwent card featuring him, to make it easily distinguishable. Does this make sense?

(personally, I really cannot fathom any other reason for investing time in redoing what is maybe the 187th most important character in the game, and just him of all ones...)

People on the web were speculating that perhaps they choose to remake Vivaldi because they needed a more unique look (compared to the other dwarves) for a Gwent card featuring him, to make it easily distinguishable. Does this make sense?

(personally, I really cannot fathom any other reason for investing time in redoing what is maybe the 187th most important character in the game, and just him of all ones...)
Good idea that they changed Vivaldis look because of that. But to be honest how much people on the gwent cards don't look like their ingame figures?! ;) In that case CDPR would have to change so much people like Keira for example... ;)

Time to role-play a little.

You have recently become a home-owner. Before you move in, you hire a team of contractors to fix the house up. After four years of hard work, and the nearly impossible transformation of an average-looking house into an incredible one, the head contractor comes to you with a gift, thanking you for all the money you've given them, and being a grateful customer. It's a brand new microwave that complements the cabinets that you just had installed in the kitchen.

Then, you turn to him, and say "Fuck you! I wanted a fleet of Lamborghinis, not a stupid microwave!".

-Half of the people commenting on this thread.

As someone who has visited the studio, seen how it functions and spoken to developers in a casual setting, I assure you it's quite the opposite. Making such baseless claims is actually pretty offensive after seeing all the work they go through, sifting through the forums and social media on a regular basis and working out what they can and cannot do and so on. I could easily bet that it's very possible they planned way more than Vivaldi's skin and hadn't been able to implement it for various reasons.

Please take your disappointment and express it, but don't speak on their behalf.

My respect for you just went up...significantly.

I do not know the interna of CDPR, but I can easily offer you a hypothetical, though IMHO likely explanation for this.

1.) early on, some years ago during development of TW3, a graphical artist made up a model of Vivaldi, similar to the one we got now.
2.) this model or texture had some flaws or simply was forgotten among the thousands of files and items on the ToDo-lists.
3.) while preparing for GotY, they rediscovered that old model and thought "why not", polished it up or removed whatever issue there was, and put it in.

Or maybe they had one of the guys they hired recently do it to show off his skills.

I do not think that they "wasted valuable developer time" with this. They had it, found it, put it in. That's it.

(Pink little Santa was cute though!) ;)

There you go.

What a bunch of babies. Using the implementation of a nice new model to complain about all the things you think TW3 lacks.

I wasn't going to say it, because I didn't want to get in trouble, but.... ;)

Queue the attacks for not agreeing that C.D.P.R. and TW3 sucks, and that they used to be such a better company.

Hey guys and ladies of course... ;)
I can't understand this kind of discussion we had since few posts!
1.) I mean there's a new look. Okay, we all agree, isn't it.
2.) Some people don't like it (me too) and other people like it (and I respect that!). That's okay, because it's just a matter of taste!!! And nothing else!
3.) But it must be allowed to ask why CDPR has only changed the look of Vivaldi. And it must be allowed to ask what's the sense of this.

And these questions aren't a general critique of TW3 or CDPR, okay?! And I love TW3! It's an awesome game!!! :thumbsup:

Thanks for your attention!!!

Hey guys and ladies of course... ;)
I can't understand this kind of discussion we had since few posts!
1.) I mean there's a new look. Okay, we all agree, isn't it.
2.) Some people don't like it (me too) and other people like it (and I respect that!). That's okay, because it's just a matter of taste!!! And nothing else!
3.) But it must be allowed to ask why CDPR has only changed the look of Vivaldi. And it must be allowed to ask what's the sense of this.

And these questions aren't a general critique of TW3 or CDPR, okay?! And I love TW3! It's an awesome game!!! :thumbsup:

Thanks for your attention!!!

Sorry I called you a baby. I keep trying to clear it up but it's just making things worse.

What a useless comment...

Because other points would have need the attention from the devs much more... Dont understand why they do stuff like this, and ignore everything else....
No one here or elsewhere ever asked for a new vivaldi outfit...i mean, vivaldi ? Such a minor npc ?
Even rework of the trophies would have been better instead of this....

Btw, i dont like the new model too...
I have to agree with the others, for me it's a pointless and unnecessary change.

Btw, i'm not angry or mad, i'm just disappointed over the goty patch in general.
(but very thankful for the soundtrack :yes )

Amen

Yeah, Rita and Fringilla are wearing kinda ordinary clothing considering that they are supposed to be main characters.

I'd also give Rita a more unique looking hairstyle and fix her bruises after you rescue her from the dungeon.

It's the little details like this that would make the game much cooler! : )

A character artist usually creates characters, they don't take away attention of other developers from other parts of the game.

Make's sense. So why just one character was changed?

BTW a fresh oufit for Margarita would be more senseful in my opinion too

Ohh god! Rita in a new dress, she is already one of the hottest damn women in the game ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I'd also give Rita a more unique looking hairstyle and fix her bruises after you rescue her from the dungeon.

There is a mod for this, however i agree. Why did Avallac'h heal her up if when you go back to talk to her she still has the bruises everywhere? Everybody knows how a sorceress is, i find it incredibly hard to believe that Rita would let herself be seen in public with tatty, messy hair and bruises on her arm and chest. She would make sure she covered it up with make-up, magic or clothes (However they like to flash their body so maybe not clothes :p) and she would of thoroughly cleaned her hair. In the books she was to embarrassed to go to Thanedd because she broke up with that man. This is a similar circumstance.

A character artist usually creates characters, they don't take away attention of other developers from other parts of the game.

"Usually" is the key word.
Your argument would work if the game was still in development and full team was working on it. But now everyone went to Cyberpunk and Gwent, only small group still debugs game. I don't think that any "character artists" still works on W3, coz' whats the point of it? To rework one npc? We want to know why out of all flaws of your game you have chosen to fix the least important one. Who even cares of how this minor npc rich dwarf looks?
Why did you choose him?

An inconsequential change imo, but apparently one of the character artists had extra time on his hands.

"Usually" is the key word.
Your argument would work if the game was still in development and full team was working on it. But now everyone went to Cyberpunk and Gwent, only small group still debugs game. I don't think that any "character artists" still works on W3, coz' whats the point of it? To rework one npc? We want to know why out of all flaws of your game you have chosen to fix the least important one. Who even cares of how this minor npc rich dwarf looks?
Why did you choose him?

What probably happened:

C.D.P.R. artist: "Hey, Marcin. I have some spare time on my hands, and I was thinking about reworking the character Vimme Vivaldi, especially because his current appearance doesn't match his character and personality. Do you mind if I go about doing that?".

Marcin: "Sure.".

What probably did NOT happen (But what half of the people hear believe.):

Marcin: "Alright, C.D.P.R.. Listen up. We really hate the fans, so let's give a big "Fuck you!" to them, and rework a character model. I think this is a good use of company money and time.".

45 minutes of C.D.P.R. chest-thumping follows.

Here's what it simply boils down to: all of these so-called "flaws" would take a ton of time, money, and personnel to "fix". This Vimme Vivaldi update probably took one character modeler with too much time on his or her hands three hours to do. Huge difference. You literally can't compare the two.

What probably happened:

C.D.P.R. artist: "Hey, Marcin. I have some spare time on my hands, and I was thinking about reworking the character Vimme Vivaldi, especially because his current appearance doesn't match his character and personality. Do you mind if I go about doing that?".

Marcin: "Sure.".

What probably did NOT happen (But what half of the people hear believe.):

Marcin: "Alright, C.D.P.R.. Listen up. We really hate the fans, so let's give a big "Fuck you!" to them, and rework a character model. I think this is a good use of company money and time.".

45 minutes of C.D.P.R. chest-thumping follows.

:rofl: In this point you are right, but...
Should a company like CDPR make their decisions and (the most important point in my opinion) communicate them in a transparent and straight way to their community?! Yes, they should in my opinion. So the behavior by changing the look of Vivaldi is not understandable for me. If there would be a statement by CDPR, which explains this changing, it would be much more okay for me than now!
But the communication of CDPR is generally in need of improvement if they want "be rebels" in future too!!!

Last edited:
Wow, I certainly didn't expect this thread to receive so much attention when I made it. A bit disappointed by some of the reactions, though. I appreciate the mods' efforts in keeping things at bay.

Top Bottom