Vincent Van Moorlehem vs Veil

+
What are the shortcomings of NG Philido? I am sincerely asking. As far as I can think of, there are not much shortcomings to NG.
The biggest are bad proactivity, almost no point-slam and very poor performance against swarm or anything that doesn't give targets fast enough because of the control nature. If it didn't have any weaknesses, the faction's winrate would be at least 10% higher than it actually is at the moment, ranging from 50-52%.

This card should follow Tyrgvy's nerf.

4 for 11, and cannot destroy veiled units. THAT would be fair. No more no less.
Those cards are similar but not the same. Tryggvi has the veteran mechanic and can be used on any card regardless of a status. Tryggvi can remove anything after an opponent has passed. SK and NG are also different factions alltogether, different power levels. It wouldnt be the same thing.

Furthermore, veil is a status, why should it be an exception for Vincent? This only makes the gamerules inconsistent, unless they make veil an inate mechanic like veteran which then cannot be purified as a result of that. In my opinion, if it's an 11 provision legendary, it's supposed to be a really good/strong card or should be, if it's not.

I am far from an experienced NG player having a limited card collection, and having played fewer than a dozen matches with NG since I abandoned my NG starter deck. But I hold nearly equivalent collections in all factions except for SK which I considered my main until the last update rendered it unfair. I would say NG is the hardest faction to create a viable deck from for three reasons:
1. It’s direct damage ability is very limited — I believe no NG units alone can do more than 2 damage (the Auckes/Serrit combo doesn’t count) in a shot and the few units that repeat damage over several rounds are weak and vulnerable.
2. It’s reach is very limited unless an opponent builds tall and even then usually requires 2 cards. This makes controlling early rounds expensive.
3. It has almost nothing that addresses more than one opposing unit at a time. Thus, it is weak against broad strategies and balanced power.

Where I see the major balance issues are with SK being OP (and not all SK — just Greatswords/Dagur focused decks) and with ST having been nerfed down to disfunctional junk.

Those cards are similar but not the same. Tryggvi has the veteran mechanic and can be used on any card regardless of a status. Tryggvi can remove anything after an opponent has passed. SK and NG are also different factions alltogether, different power levels. It wouldnt be the same thing.

Furthermore, veil is a status, why should it be an exception for Vincent? This only makes the gamerules inconsistent, unless they make veil an inate mechanic like veteran which then cannot be purified as a result of that. In my opinion, if it's an 11 provision legendary, it's supposed to be a really good/strong card or should be, if it's not.
Nearly every new card this expansion has veil, that's why. You actually get punished for using the third evolution of evolve cards. How does this make any sense at all design-wise?
These cards benefitting from such a broad term as "status" are fundamentally flawed. They might have been fine at first but the more statuses the devs want to introduce the worse things will get.
At the very least change some base strength/provisions a bit the broader the term becomes.

Nearly every new card this expansion has veil, that's why. You actually get punished for using the third evolution of evolve cards. How does this make any sense at all design-wise?
These cards benefitting from such a broad term as "status" are fundamentally flawed. They might have been fine at first but the more statuses the devs want to introduce the worse things will get.
At the very least change some base strength/provisions a bit the broader the term becomes.
Most of the evolving cards spawn additional units which give roughly 6 points (save for Viraxas, but you can use his order immediately, therefore get the value without any risk). If Vincent kills the card with veil that's a perfectly fine trade if you ask me. Not even a massive counter actually.

Most of the evolving cards spawn additional units which give roughly 6 points (save for Viraxas, but you can use his order immediately, therefore get the value without any risk). If Vincent kills the card with veil that's a perfectly fine trade if you ask me. Not even a massive counter actually.
They can do the same on the 2nd evolution. 3rd adds engine function and veil, perfect food for Vincent.
My point is that having veil is a risk against NG, which really doesn't make sense considering it was meant to counter poison.

They can do the same on the 2nd evolution. 3rd adds engine function and veil, perfect food for Vincent.
My point is that having veil is a risk against NG, which really doesn't make sense considering it was meant to counter poison.
I'd rather risk Vincent over locks or poison, veil is pretty strong against those two. In gwent nothing is 100% guarantee. If your opponent has Vincent then he will find a target, question is what. Used on a veiled a card mean that he cant target your defender or something similar. Most players don't float orders when playing their evolving card anyway. You'll get good value from these new evolving cards.

It makes the whole existence of veil a joke, you want to apply veil on important units to protect them, but they'll just get destroyed by Vincent, Why would I ever bother applying Veil on a high power card when this card exists? Is there any way to Counter Vincent? You can Counter Tryggvi by simply holding a Purify in your hand, and Purify it, which everyone is doing right now, and made me to simply Cut Tryggvi from deck which made it better, every card can be Countered in one way or another, but how do you counter Vincent? Veil? Defender? Purify your own Veil, Shield, Defender, Vitality? Should I apply Veil or not at the end of the day?

Guest 4404014

Here I'm using Shaping Nature to veil, which is supposed to be a counter to poison and I get punished for it.

VVM is fine. Its power grew with the introduction of veil but the overall power of NG status dropped drastically. So it's fine. It's ST that got fckall in the expansion. Just don't play it. You won't get the impression that other things are op.

Just my 2 cents.

VVM is fine. Its power grew with the introduction of veil but the overall power of NG status dropped drastically. So it's fine. It's ST that got fckall in the expansion. Just don't play it. You won't get the impression that other things are op.

Just my 2 cents.
Why do you assume I exclusively play ST? I actually play NG for this challenge it's nice and easy.
Open up your deck builder and search "veil" to see a nice list of all the cards Vincent counters.

Why do you assume I exclusively play ST? I actually play NG for this challenge it's nice and easy.
Open up your deck builder and search "veil" to see a nice list of all the cards Vincent counters.
Highest cards are a bunch of sixes and one bronze seven. You really want to tell us THIS is insane value for 11 provisions? In return they can't get locked anymore which killed this mechanic even more AND you can't poison them. The only other counter is damage which is also pretty hard to pull off, especially against the Apiarian Phantom.

If your opponent uses an 11 provision gold card to counter your 6 provision copper, you should feel good about the exchange, not complain about it!

Vincent Van Moorlehem is very powerful in certain situations; it’s user pays for that potential.

Vincent is always OP. Status are everywhere in NG, and with a 4P card, they would be able to destroy any opponent's threat. With Yenn invo, NG have access to 2 (almost) non-conditionnal removal.

Why giving veil to counter poison, if all the evolutive cards play into Vincent ? NG is so oppressive, they don't need that.

Vincent need a rework for me....

but how do you counter Vincent?
Your opponent can't have more than one Vincent. It's the same question one could ask about tall removal if you only wanted to play 9+ power cards. Counters exists, when you play against NG, you may want to try to bleed or bait out the Vincent, you should definitely expect your opponent to have him especially if he plays masquerade ball or aristocrats beyond the Moorlehem hunter. This is one of the few examples of how gwent can be a strategic cardgame. Veil was never intended to be an alternative to immunity or give 100% guaranteed protection. One could ask; why are you not complaining about korathi heatwave?

Guest 4404014

Cut Tryggvi from deck which made it better

Turggvi is a top tier broken card.

but how do you counter Vincent? Veil? Defender? Purify your own Veil, Shield, Defender, Vitality? Should I apply Veil or not at the end of the day?

Same way you counter any powerful control card: Heatwave, Yennefer, Baron, etc. Know it's out there. Play accordingly. Bleed it out or bait it out. Or just hope they didn't draw it. That's what the game's about. If you don't like your cards being messed with, I recommend Solitaire. ;)

It all boils down to the same old "wah wah NG stole my value" whinology. VIncent is op. Yen is op. Damien is op. Skellen is op. Bribery is op. Is there any gold NG card that someone didn't say was op? Fact is veil screwed NG a lot. Vincent power-up isn't even close to making up for it. If anything from NG is op it's the new spy cards that produce a bit too much value for the amount of control NG has.

Turggvi is a top tier broken card.

Same way you counter any powerful control card: Heatwave, Yennefer, Baron, etc. Know it's out there. Play accordingly. Bleed it out or bait it out. Or just hope they didn't draw it. That's what the game's about. If you don't like your cards being messed with, I recommend Solitaire. ;)

It all boils down to the same old "wah wah NG stole my value" whinology. VIncent is op. Yen is op. Damien is op. Skellen is op. Bribery is op. Is there any gold NG card that someone didn't say was op? Fact is veil screwed NG a lot. Vincent power-up isn't even close to making up for it. If anything from NG is op it's the new spy cards that produce a bit too much value for the amount of control NG has.
You can do the exact same with Turggvi by that logic. I'm extremely curious how you supposedly force the opponent to use Vincent. Love how you're making my argument out to be against interaction in general by the way. Real classy.

You can do the exact same with Turggvi by that logic. I'm extremely curious how you supposedly force the opponent to use Vincent. Love how you're making my argument out to be against interaction in general by the way. Real classy.
Let's sort this out now, do you think Vincent makes Nilfgaard broken or are you just annoyed by him?

This may all be true as the point of Nilfgaard is removal and disruption above all else. However, in return it lacks other card types, for example point-slam and proactive plays where all the other factions are better at. It balances out.

Sorry, but no, it doesn't balance it out.
Post automatically merged:

If Vincent kills my Dunca, I will be happy since Dunca got a honorable death. But when she gets killed by a 4P Stunning blow, that is when I am sad. Most of the Veil units are 4 or 5P bronzes (or the Evolving card) and using Viincent on them is kind of fine IMHO. But nonetheless if he woks only on negative statuses like (lock, bleeding, poison, doomed) it would be fair, but being unfair is NG's identity so.. :shrug:

It's not fair if you use Overwhelming hunger as all ekimmaras carry the doomed tag. You get punished just by using your leader ability. Ridiculous.

Sorry, but no, it doesn't balance it out.
Post automatically merged:

It's not fair if you use Overwhelming hunger as all ekimmaras carry the doomed tag. You get punished just by using your leader ability. Ridiculous.
What is your proof that it doesn't balance out?

Top Bottom