Viper Set.

+
Viper Set.

The viper armor set is one of the best in the game, both stats and looks ( just look at that beautiful beast with orange dye).
There is no grandmaster upgrade and no armor set bonus. My thinking is because it was part of the heart of stone expansion.
Am i missing something here ?

Last edited:
...and there is a bug. i bought the set during the quest, where it is available form the old woman, but i can't craft it. it does not appear in the crafting menu even at the master smith.

I don't believe the Viper Armor follows the Grandmaster upgrade tree (just Griffin, Cat, Usrine, and Wolf). The only thing is the Legendary Viper Weapons and Armor you can get in NG+.

If I don’t remember wrong you can find the viper silver sword only if you make a certain choice in HoS. Isn’it ?

Yes, the Viper Venemous set is HoS, and quest-dependent. Not ot be confused with the Standard Viper steel and silver swords you can get in White Orchard as early as the prologue.

I think Viper armor set must have a bonus like grandmaster armors. Poisoning,bonus max Toxisity or a critical hit damage bonus will be good.

Last edited:
Put Greater Moranas in your swords, then use Superior Golden Oriole and Devil's Puffball. Also grab Poisoned Blades from the Alchemy Tree. There's your makeshift GM bonus.

The Viper Venomous swords are the best for early BaW. You have to face a lot of human opponents, which die very easily to poison. At the knight's tourney you can go Oberyn Martell-style and win the last couple fights without difficulty with poison effect. The vampire set you get later is inferior to Viper, because it lacks the DOT ability and doesn't protect against monsters, as opposed to Viper.

On the other hand, Viper should be replaced once you can craft Grandmaster, because poison doesn't help much against vampires and other monsters.

Viper Gear has Aard bonus, and is Medium armor, so you could invest in that. Aard can be a lifesaver if your bonuses aren't very good. But it doesn't have very good synergy with the "theme" of Viper (poison).

The Viper Venomous swords are the best for early BaW.

This is major truth. I often just don't craft them now. The first few games I played, I used the Viper steel and silver swords until almost level 20 before I found something I liked more. They are extremely effective weapons, but never once felt overpowered. (Dare I say...almost perfectly balanced weapons...?)

Viper Gear has Aard bonus, and is Medium armor, so you could invest in that. Aard can be a lifesaver if your bonuses aren't very good. But it doesn't have very good synergy with the "theme" of Viper (poison).

Yeah, I think they primarily added it because the starting armor is really cool-looking, but it gets classed out fairly quickly. I think many people underplay Aard + Poison, though. Two things that Aard is fantastic at are a.) quickly interrupting an enemy and opening them up for a strike, and b.) knocking numerous opponents down, which both delays their actions and almost always allows for at least one instant kill (when fighting groups).

So, application with Poison here would be:
1.) Engage enemy, using Aard "quick-tap" to land as many fast strikes on as many different targets as possible. Whirl is great for this, as long as you position properly before executing it. The combo maximizes the chance for several targets to be poisoned simultaneously.

2.) Execute a "powered-up" Aard push once you have several enemies taking poison damage. Not only will that allow Geralt to finish 1-2 of them off, but all of the others will continue taking damage over time while they're picking themselves up again.

3.) If I back off at that point, it forces even more DoT to occur while the enemies close in on me again, all the while I'm basically just waiting safely.

4.) Bubble, rinse, repeat.

I have never come across viper school treasure quests, aside from the initial sword quest triggered in White Orchard. Is this feature only available once you play New Game +. I know that the DLC content adds the wolf and manticore school gear, but I personally haven't come across additional viper school diagrams and thought it suspicious.

I have never come across viper school treasure quests, aside from the initial sword quest triggered in White Orchard. Is this feature only available once you play New Game +. I know that the DLC content adds the wolf and manticore school gear, but I personally haven't come across additional viper school diagrams and thought it suspicious.
:eek:

The Viper gear is wonderful. (Probably too wonderful. :p I often play with the viper swords up into the Level 15 range.)

...and there is a bug. i bought the set during the quest, where it is available form the old woman, but i can't craft it. it does not appear in the crafting menu even at the master smith.
Yeah, I think only a master craftsmen can make that one for you, same as the swords.

Top Bottom