Virtual Reality

+
Virtual Reality

So the consumer version of Oculus Rift is rumoured to be released in 2014, but is it enough to see but not to be able to touch? While it is a great breakthrough towards true VR, is that truly virtual reality is all about? I guess my point is, wouldn't you like to see your hands while playing a game? Wouldn't you like to actually hold your pistol while playing a FPS, or hold steering wheel of your car while playing a racing game? If your answer is yes, take a look at this:

I believe these are called virtual reality data gloves and wouldn't it be great if they were included (maybe as an option) with Oculus Rift?

I mean, wouldn't it be great to be able to do this in a game?:

Or to have cyberpunk style virtual reality net?

There is a realistic shooting game called the Receiver, wouldn't it be tremendously fun to play a realistic shooting game like that with Oculus Rift and data gloves?

While this technology isn't yet perfect, i'm sure Oculus Rift developers could come up with something similar but even better.. What do you guys think? Wouldn't something like this improve Oculus Rift? :)

improvements are always something good and Oculus Rift has a lot of potencial.

watch this: guys from germany playing Outlast with Oculus.....funny

improvements are always something good and Oculus Rift has a lot of potencial.

watch this: guys from germany playing Outlast with Oculus.....funny

That guy almost shat himself.. :D I can see Oculus Rift being big with exploration&adventure&horror games.. Oh yeah..

i really hope in virtual reality since i went to Trocadero in London in 1994...

...and i'm still waiting

Hopefully we will have our VR goggles by 2014 and it will be even better than anything we can imagine.. And maybe someday it will be complete with VR gloves and everything.. We can always hope.. Technology is already there, they just need to utilize it..

Hopefully we will have our VR goggles by 2014 and it will be even better than anything we can imagine.. And maybe someday it will be complete with VR gloves and everything.. We can always hope.. Technology is already there, they just need to utilize it..

it will happen.....soon....i am sure

it will happen.....soon....i am sure

Thats my hope too my friend.. :) Fortunately, we have something called Razer Hydra for now, while it is not quite what i would prefer, it is quite good.. (immersion wise)

Razer Hydra tracks your hand movement while giving you more control options.. It looks something like this:

Here are some videos: (Second one and third one especially interesting)

[video=youtube;31PwPE_-p6k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31PwPE_-p6k[/video]
(Just a reminder, you can always turn the subtitles on)

It would be also great if there was a combination of this and VR gloves, you can wear a VR glove on your right hand (or your left hand, depending on witch hand you use) and have this on your other hand.. (Best of both worlds) That way you can move easily and can also do more detailed action with your glove hand..

As i think that input device is a step in the right direction, for some reason i really hate the design.. The idea of being have to buy "special" shoes for the device seems really annoying.. Especially if there are more than one gamers in the house.. Also, no sitting support and it seems crouching might create problems..

But i've found an alternative for that (i don't like how the prototype looks or how large this input device is, but since it is just a prototype, i hope that can change before it is consumer ready. Either way, i really, really don't like this design either but i think it is the better option. I think Virtuix Omni would be much better than the Cyberith Virtualizer if they applied same principles on their input device.. A combination of two would be amazing..):

This kind of running and sitting system, combined with Sixense Stem (Next generation of Sixense Razer Hydra) walking, running, jumping, ducking and driving could be much more realistic and immersive.. Sixense Stem can track up to five points, including both feets, so you can actually see yourself run in the game..

[video=youtube;j52y30dX-co]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j52y30dX-co[/video]

By the way, Chris, this is for you my friend:

Do i have your attention now? :D Cybernet could be a reality one day!

Tried checking those Hydra videos. But what I still didn't get is that is the aiming done via motion sensor or by the pad you use with your thumb?

Tried checking those Hydra videos. But what I still didn't get is that is the aiming done via motion sensor or by the pad you use with your thumb?

Aiming done by the motion sensor (You look around with the Rift and aim with Hydra), aiming is done like you would aim a real weapon, you only use the pad to move around.. You could move around using Stem (New version of hydra with 5 motion sensors instead of just 2) as well, but you would need an omni-directional treadmill.. (Just a treadmill without any sensors or anything like that) It is really awesome, i mean, just watch this:

[video=youtube;j52y30dX-co]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j52y30dX-co[/video]

You pick up your pistol by grabbing them from your in-game holster, you pick up weapons like you would in real life, also, holding your weapon/rifle with both hands helps you aim better.. Possibilities are limitless..

And look at this:

Also, this:

It will be great when it comes out.. Only if they could add gloves as well.. :D

I'm sure we will see this soon enough:

"Johnny Mnemonic" predicted this coming.. :D

Interesting times we live in :) I'd assume all these products will have growing pains next few years and not to mention having actual games that really support them.
But after that of boy I'm gone like the Lawnmover Man :D

Would be fun to watch people playing Cold Curve or defrag stuff with that thing.:p

Seriously though, it looks suited for either cinematic doom tributes or contemplative games. Things like Dear Esther and one button games such as Fotonica.

Top Bottom