Vista - Crashing problem

+
Firstly I would like to offer a big old thank you to Mobidoy, you should be getting paid for all the support yer offering, secondly I too am having issues with this game. Vista 32bit (If somebody could post a link telling me how to get rid off this buggy pos so I could reformat to xp it would be appreciated)3g ramintell core 2 cpu 2.13ghzNvidia geforce 7300gsAll the latest drivers,fixes and fun stuff.Crashes happen every 10 to 15 mins in chapter 1(dont have the patience to get further) Tried running the game at low medium and high settings, and on several differant resolutions, no luck. I will try to run it in a window when I get homesee if that will help.I cant get the game running on my second computer because of the "insert dvd" pop up. Which sucks cause that runs on xp :'(

Guilty1 said:
Firstly I would like to offer a big old thank you to Mobidoy, you should be getting paid for all the support yer offering, secondly I too am having issues with this game. Vista 32bit (If somebody could post a link telling me how to get rid off this buggy pos so I could reformat to xp it would be appreciated)3g ramintell core 2 cpu 2.13ghzNvidia geforce 7300gsAll the latest drivers,fixes and fun stuff.Crashes happen every 10 to 15 mins in chapter 1(dont have the patience to get further) Tried running the game at low medium and high settings, and on several differant resolutions, no luck. I will try to run it in a window when I get homesee if that will help.I cant get the game running on my second computer because of the "insert dvd" pop up. Which sucks cause that runs on xp :'(
you can look up here... it is not finished yet but should help http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=8809.msg218783#msg218783

Hello you all ^^I know many of you have been having problems with game locking up and/or CTDing when playing on vista, there's apparently a "fix" posted on a sticky, but that one does not apply for x64-based systems, and it seems to not always work... Anyway, after doing a search on the forums, I found a solution that was posted on a thread that seems to be long dead. Long story short, it worked for me and game hasn't locked up once since I did it. Here's what I did:First, changed the shortcut so that it executed witcher.exe instead of the pre-game menu, that is, the game will load immediately after I click on the shortcut.Second, went into properties and changed to winXP SP2 compatibility mode, and put on administrator rights for the game.So far, I've been able to play over 5 hours without a single lock up, so I guess it could be worth trying =)

Hey guys,Okay, somewhat of a small success, the crashing problem I am having only limits to chapters 2 and 3. Chapter 1 and 4 were perfectly fine, I played through 4 again and took my time and left literally no stone unturned, no barrel unopened and no enemy and side quest standing, and not once has the game crashed on me. Obviously I pushed my luck by going back to a save game of chapter 3, and there they were - the crashes. So to me it really seems like a memory leak within Vizima's city. I'll have a play around with my pagefile to see if that make a difference, and I'll have a look if I can find any more information about my .net issue on MSDN.

Mobidoy said:
Mobidoy said:
you can look up here... it is not finished yet but should help http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=8809.msg218783#msg218783
Problem solved on both systems, thanks.

Hi All...I've tried everything to get this thing to run on Vista32, and it won't even start!Is patched to 1.2, have also patched to launcher, tried the BCDEdit thing ... (4GB RAM). I've tried everything in this thread and others, and nothing works for me.(HP A8180 Media Centre PC w/- Intel Core 2 2.66, 4GB RAM, Nvidia 8500 w/- 169.xx drivers)I might not be the smartest egg on the planet, but I like to think I'm not the dumbest (though I might easily be the worst speller), but why should I have to go to all this trouble to get this game to even start when it has the new "Game for Windows" with the Vista logo on it?!?!?!?!I guess that tells me something about how rigorous Microsoft's standards are for whether a game actually work with windows or NOT ...Can someone please tell me why I shouldn't take this game back and go completely postal at the poor innocent retailer?!?!?ThxCoder

rafiki6 said:
Hey guys I found the best solution which is working great so far is this.Go to c:/program files/the witcher/system/witcher.exe. Right-click and go to the Compatibility Tab. Then select Run in "Windows XP SP2" comptabiliity mode.Also check the box that allows you to run the game as an administrator. This is working great. Its a simple solution but my theory on it is that since the game was built on the DX9 c standard and Vista was built on the DX10 standard, they will have incompatibility issues executing the correct operation and Vista will have serious issues with memory managment. This solution is used with alot of DX9 games. Running it in XP mode just forces the game to try to communicate with the OS and treat it as if it is XP therefore causing less problems since the program does not get so confused in its execution.
i can't check the run as administrator button? its greyed out, any idea why

I've applied the patch. I've done the 2800 thing. I've upgraded to the latest Nvidia drivers. I've tried compatability mode. Some of the other fixes listed in this thread are just too damn invasive to even consider. Is it too much to ask that a game just work?I can't get past the opening of Chapter 1. I finish the dog fight, I talk to yet another hot redhead, and then if I do anything after the conversation ends -- try to save, examine a dead body, etc. -- it crashes. Every time.C2D E4300 @ 2.832 GB RAM @ 6677900GS

Mobidoy said:
for those who have not solved their problems, Create a Dxdiag log and a report save as HTML using this tool System Information for WindowsExplain your problem and put your nickPut all that in an email and send it to the adress in my signature !
Email sent. And Thanks very much for your efforts. Regardless of the outcome, they are greatly appreciated.Coder

As per another thread, I started playing the game in window mode. It's fixed my crashing problem, so I'd suggest others try it too until whatever's screwy gets patched.

had it crash on me a couple times due to the same thing boots me to desktop program not responding blah blah and i get a prompt that my display driver has successfully recovered but i still cant fire up the game again without it crashing or giving me massive lag spikes.specs are64 bit vista8800 ultra (with latest driver)4 gigs of rami rifled through a few threads but couldnt find anything that seemed to apply, anyone got a clue?thanks

The best driver for The Witcher is the 163.75 so far other drivers with higher numbers like 169.xx dont run that good, go back to 163.75 or wait for a new driver release the 173.xx should fix many problems but thats only a rumor.

If you're not playing Crysis or UT3 24/7 there's little reason to get the 169 drivers as they are buggy as hell. 163 is the way to stay for the time being.

Nice 8) I moved the page file to another drive & did the command line route ;) It worked 100s :) Not sure which was the top 1 tho, as I did them the same time...........But now it saves & loads naaaicly :beer:

rafiki6 said:
Hey guys I found the best solution which is working great so far is this.Go to c:/program files/the witcher/system/witcher.exe. Right-click and go to the Compatibility Tab. Then select Run in "Windows XP SP2" comptabiliity mode.Also check the box that allows you to run the game as an administrator. This is working great. Its a simple solution but my theory on it is that since the game was built on the DX9 c standard and Vista was built on the DX10 standard, they will have incompatibility issues executing the correct operation and Vista will have serious issues with memory managment. This solution is used with alot of DX9 games. Running it in XP mode just forces the game to try to communicate with the OS and treat it as if it is XP therefore causing less problems since the program does not get so confused in its execution.
Thank you VERY much. Not only has it stopped the crashes, but the game runs much smoother...way more enjoyable to play now.Thanks again!

mike- said:
i can't check the run as administrator button? its greyed out, any idea why
Best guess would be check your account settings and see what type of account you have setup i.e. are you on an administrative account...For myself I am getting the random crashes that being said the crashes seem to happen most often if I have a new journal entry or if I have a level up and then try and access the character sheet / journal / save etc :S.The way that works for me out of all these is to play in windowed then looks like (touch wood) no crashes so it's playable even if only on a part of my screen.

Top Bottom