Vista - Crashing problem

+
Hello all, I will just add another post to this quite lengthy topic :)I play The Witcher EE in the Russian version, have normally no crash problems in the game, it might accidently crash somtimes, but that is all.that is, until I got to Vizima. The client will now crash in 3 different places:1. The tavern in the Temple Quarter, EXCEPT at midnight2. The whole Trade Quarter, EXCEPT at midnight3. The tavern in Trade Quarter, all day. till this point I worked around these crashes by only coming at midnight in the problem areas, but now the story continues via a cutscene at Triss' to the tavern in Trade Quarter, which makes it impossible for me to continue this great game :(I have tried everything I could find on this forum to fix the problem:- Defragged my disc- Installed the EAX patch (which didn't help, now it is not installed because of a reinstall of the game)- Deleted savegames- Updated to the last patch- Although I play in Vista 64, I tried the memory thing- Checked my memory blocks, no problems there- Updated DirectX, updated Vista, updated drivers- Put UAC to silent- Ran the game as administrator with comp. mode XP2But alas, it was all fruitless :( I added the necessary files below, I hope with all my heart that somebody can help me!Thanks in advance.

ripburger said:
Hello all, I will just add another post to this quite lengthy topic :)
get the latest DirectX: http://downloads.guru3d.com/DirectX-End-User-Runtimes-(March-2009)-download-1943.htmlget the newer nVidia driver: http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7_winvista_64bit_186.18_whql.htmlattch an error log after the EAX patch was installed

Ok downloaded the latest DirextX - still crashesNow I installed the EAT hotfix, the game asks for the dvd, but it is in the drive! How is that possible?

ripburger said:
Yes directly from the directory.
i'm afraid that if this happens you need to reinstall the game :wall:backup your savegames just to be sureuninstall game ( keep savegames when asked )delete the game folderinstall the game at version 1.4 from the DVDsapply hotfix 2.3playdo attach the file ERRLOG.TXT from The Witcher/System folder if it crashes again

Xavier78 said:
Xavier78 said:
I'm getting a bit fed up now, this game is so flawed it's unbelieveable. How can any self respecting developer release such a flawed game to the public? Did they even bother to test it before it was released? I give up....it's goin in the bin
LOL this game runs like a dream compared to Fallout 3. Try that game once and you'll see how this one is so much better. (Well, if Witcher wont run at all... guess that isn't better, but alas...)
No it doesn't. Fallout 3 runs out of the box (though it has some minor errors ingame which usually could be fixed with the console). Witcher doesn't. You need Gigabytes of patches and wait til you find a timeframe where the registration servers are running to be able to just install the patch. They even try to blame it on you (have you read the FAQ?) when they now well that the customer isn't doing anything wrong.Then you have to mess up with external tools in your monitor driver to be able to actually start it without getting a headache. But it will only work after changing resolution twice. Fallout3 runs just straight, you don't have to mess around with your drivers.And then after you get it working, the content is not too good either. Fallout3 or Mass Effect have more atmosphere.

ripburger said:
That doesn't work either... :(Maybe I should try the things pointed out in the DVD error message topic?
what happens now? no errlog either?
ripburger said:
No it doesn't. Fallout 3 runs out of the box (though it has some minor errors ingame which usually could be fixed with the console).
for you maybe, but for other it does notgames are software, and no software is free of bugs, and given the nature of the PCs ( hardware and software combinations available ) sometime it does not work ok on some systems

LicaonKter said:
LicaonKter said:
No it doesn't. Fallout 3 runs out of the box (though it has some minor errors ingame which usually could be fixed with the console).
for you maybe, but for other it does notgames are software, and no software is free of bugs, and given the nature of the PCs ( hardware and software combinations available ) sometime it does not work ok on some systems
Yes, every software has bugs. But that doesn't account for general design flaws and failures in the creator's infrastructure. The Patch mechanism is flawed by design (if there is no need for internet access when patching with a predownloaded archive, nothing could go wrong with registration servers e.g.), it is not in Fallout3. It makes a difference to the customer if someone designs a program well and fixes it when neccessary than if someone designs crap and says "oh, I don't care, every software has bugs". Fallout3 is able to correctly determine refresh rates in most cases, while it is stated in the Witcher that you NEED 3rd party tools to achieve that. Yes, Fallout3 has bugs, but it still runs better than the Witcher, partly because people were thinking more about software design before trying to implement it. But still I find the bugs in Fallout3 annoying. They could have done better, too.There is also a difference in severity of bugs. If I need to type in a few commands in console mode to revive a character in Fallout3, than it is not very nice, but manageable. If I need to mess around with monitor drivers in order to even start playing the game, than this is clearly not acceptable. This also comes up when someone in QA would actually test the game for a few minutes, while a bugged quest might not be detected easily even if the game is played thoroughly for hours.Believe me, I studied information technology, I know what can be done and what can't.

Zelos said:
It makes a difference to the customer if someone designs a program well and fixes it when neccessary than if someone designs crap and says "oh, I don't care, every software has bugs".
yep, and the Fallout3 patch 1.5 which broke most of the customer made mods was a good design, right? :evil:let's not compare 2 different products of 2 different developers, this has no end

I am having problems running The Witcher Enhanced Edition on Windows Vista SP1 I Have Installed The Game And I Open The Loader And Click Launch Game But After That My Screen Goes Black And Task Manager Says That Thewitcher.exe has stopped working and i cannot figure out why could someone help?

Ryashon said:
I am having problems running The Witcher Enhanced Edition on Windows Vista SP1 I Have Installed The Game And I Open The Loader And Click Launch Game But After That My Screen Goes Black And Task Manager Says That Thewitcher.exe has stopped working and i cannot figure out why could someone help?
read: Getting tech help on the forum and attach that PCWizard report as instructed ( use the older version of PCWizard if you have problems with the newer one )do attach the file ERRLOG.TXT from The Witcher/System folder ( if the game crashed )

LicaonKter said:
LicaonKter said:
That doesn't work either... :(Maybe I should try the things pointed out in the DVD error message topic?
what happens now? no errlog either?
Still the DVD error msg. I tried everything I could find to solve the error with Tages drivers, deleting register files etc, but that was futile.I think I will just hope 1.5 will bring miracles!Thanks for the help anyway!

ripburger said:
Still the DVD error msg. I tried everything I could find to solve the error with Tages drivers, deleting register files etc, but that was futile.
get the latest TAGES, as admin run it once to uninstall and again to reinstall it: http://tagesprotection.com/main.htmif it works, disable Autosave ingame, and then see what happens

to get the obvious out of the way, My OS is windows vista 64 bit, completely up to date, and I have admin privleges and UAC quieted.Everytime when I try to run the game, it instead pops up an error that simply reads "The Witcher has stopped working" no amount of tinkering with running it as admin or in compaitability mode has worked. :wall:Is there a known fix for this? Or have I run into an unfortunate bug? :(

We need more information about your system besides its OS. Give us the system specifications, maybe we could help you out.

I'm having major crashing issues right now. It's happening in Chapter 3, after saving Thaler from the Order of the Flaming Rose.Couldn't download the program to ID my specs, but I'll supply whatever is needed.[mod]ATTACH not paste the PCWizard report or the errlog[/mod]

Gammit10 said:
I'm having major crashing issues right now. It's happening in Chapter 3, after saving Thaler from the Order of the Flaming Rose.Couldn't download the program to ID my specs, but I'll supply whatever is needed.
neither this: http://www.cpuid.com/download/pcw2008_v1871.exe nor this: http://www.filebox.ro/download.php?key=fxqfu5d4ve4sv8kx ?can you disable and quit Xfire and any Creative Sound card component program running and then test ?reattach the errlog if it crashes then

MadmanNormandy said:
to get the obvious out of the way, My OS is windows vista 64 bit, completely up to date, and I have admin privleges and UAC quieted.Everytime when I try to run the game, it instead pops up an error that simply reads "The Witcher has stopped working" no amount of tinkering with running it as admin or in compaitability mode has worked. :wall:Is there a known fix for this? Or have I run into an unfortunate bug? :(
read: Getting tech help on the forum and attach that PCWizard report as instructed ( use the older version of PCWizard if you have problems with the newer one )do attach the file ERRLOG.TXT from The Witcher/System folderwhat game version original + patch or Enhanced DVD?

Top Bottom