Visual Glitches Report Question

+
Hi everyone,

So is the "Report a visual glitch" supposed to be just reporting or are they supposed to help you fix the issues? I have been recently encountering severe visual glitches like texture bugs, missing geometry, LOD issues and odd colourful light sparkles. The part that makes no sense is that they happen now much more than at release. If you are curious this is the thread I made for the most common ones I see - https://forums.cdprojektred.com/index.php?threads/odd-texture-glitches.11110100/
After I reported the glitches they only asked me to provide additional information about them and then complete silence. It's been 2 weeks since. Do they need time to work on them? Are they trying to recreate the bugs? Are they supposed to help fix them or did they decide to ignore the case?
I know they most likely get a lot of reports but it would be nice if they let you know if they will help or if they are working on it.

Upvote 1
I'd like to mention that issues can potentially become stuck to a certain save file. Whenever you create a new save (auto-save ; manual save; doesn't matter) based on that faulty file, all of its bugs will carry-over to the new file. Which means that some bugs can only be solved by starting a fresh play-through, after having patched the game.
Even if I clean-reinstalled and deleted all saves because I thought they are corrupted, and then started a new game?
I don't see how any bugs can carry over if it's practically as if the game was never installed on the PC when you do clean-install have no save files, turned off "save sync" and start a new game.

DC9V

Forum veteran
Upvote 0
Even if I clean-reinstalled and deleted all saves because I thought they are corrupted, and then started a new game?
I don't see how any bugs can carry over if it's practically as if the game was never installed on the PC when you do clean-install have no save files, turned off "save sync" and start a new game.
Yeah, I think it's pretty unlikely to be caused by save file corruption, in that case.

Could you tell us more about your PC? Did you have other hardware installed in the past?

Also, could you please sum-up what you already tried to solve the issue?

Upvote 0
Yeah, I think it's pretty unlikely to be caused by save file corruption, in that case.

Could you tell us more about your PC? Did you have other hardware installed in the past?
The only component that has changed on this PC is the GPU and it happened before CP2077 came out. I added more RAM at some point but can't remember when exactly in the timeline.
Also, could you please sum-up what you already tried to solve the issue?
I've done a lot so I might miss a thing or two. But basically, since I started seeing the issues I: (all steps pretty much in order)
  1. updated all mods
  2. removed all mods
  3. uninstalled the game
  4. deleted all saves ever
  5. removed residual CP2077 files
  6. started new game
  7. drivers update including DDU removal
  8. BIOS update
  9. chipset driver update
  10. Windows update just in case
  11. testing with Unigine benchmark
  12. temp files cleanup including directx cashe
  13. GOG game file verification constantly just in case (most of the time this step is done after each of the above)
Most of the issues with textures and lighting apparently are present in other peoples' copies as well so only the geometry bugs are left as something uncommon.

Upvote 1
I don't remember because I played for a few months on release and then started again just recently.
Yes, that's the 3rd or 4th new game test since the whole clean-reinstall-no-mods and all the other things we talked about in the beginning.
That's a good distinction. Did these problems exist before you too the break from the game, months ago?

Interesting. Not very intuitive especially for non-native English speaker. What goes under the "gameplay" issues? The "interface" is the UI I guess.
I honestly thought "performance issues" are much more severe issues like game crashes, corrupted files, oddly low fps, stutter and of the sort.
These are not different departments, but there are different people that focus on different things. Hence, we want to be crystal clear on one issue at a time, or the people in Support need to sift through it all and figure out what goes with what. And that involved some level of guesswork if it's not known what's going on. All of that slows everything down when issues overlap or there are multiple to sort through.

Visual issues deal with graphical corruption, crashes that clearly identify video drivers as the cause, etc.
Performance issues are things like the game crashing randomly with no error, running very slowly, etc.
Gameplay issues are things like skills or perks not activating correctly, NPCs not responding to dialogue, etc.

Upvote 0
I don't remember because I played for a few months on release and then started again just recently.
Yes, that's the 3rd or 4th new game test since the whole clean-reinstall-no-mods and all the other things we talked about in the beginning.
That's a good distinction. Did these problems exist before you took the break from the game, months ago?

Interesting. Not very intuitive especially for non-native English speaker. What goes under the "gameplay" issues? The "interface" is the UI I guess.
I honestly thought "performance issues" are much more severe issues like game crashes, corrupted files, oddly low fps, stutter and of the sort.
These are not different departments, but there are different people that focus on different things. Hence, we want to be crystal clear on one issue at a time, or the people in Support need to sift through it all and figure out what goes with what. And that involves some level of guesswork if the cause of what's going on isn't known. All of that slows everything down when issues overlap or there are multiple to sort through.

Visual issues deal with graphical corruption, crashes that clearly identify video drivers as the cause, etc.
Performance issues are things like the game crashing randomly with no error, running very slowly, etc.
Gameplay issues are things like skills or perks not activating correctly, NPCs not responding to dialogue, etc.

1. updated all mods
  2. removed all mods
  3. uninstalled the game
  4. deleted all saves ever
  5. removed residual CP2077 files
  6. started new game
  7. drivers update including DDU removal
  8. BIOS update
  9. chipset driver update
  10. Windows update just in case
  11. testing with Unigine benchmark
  12. temp files cleanup including directx cashe
  13. GOG game file verification constantly just in case (most of the time this step is done after each of the above)
Right between 5.) and 6.) is when you should have performed the CLEAN installation. Did you do it at that point? Or did you just reinstall the game normally?

Number 10.) could have added some complication to this. If there was damage to the initial installation, the problem may have carried over. Residual files exist in many places throughout the master file table. The clean installation will remove these things. A normal re-installation will most often not. Wiping your drive, re-initializing your drive, and installing a fresh version of Windows will remove these things. Re-installing or upgrading Windows with an existing file table will not.

I'd leave Windows alone for now. BIOS was a good call, but that can be ruled out now. Everything I'm seeing looks like a software issue. Some we can just ignore, as I can confirm they'll happen everywhere, and are just imperfections in the game or drivers. The vanishing car parts and wild corruption through that fence are absolutely not normal. But they're so consistent that I don't believe it's hardware. Hardware issues don't usually manifest in ways that can be reliably recreated with that level of accuracy over this much time.

Upvote 0
That's a good distinction. Did these problems exist before you took the break from the game, months ago?
I don't remember something like this existing then. But then again, at release, I had a much bigger tolerance for bugs, therefore I can't be 100% sure, unfortunately. Sorry, that's all I remember.
Right between 5.) and 6.) is when you should have performed the CLEAN installation. Did you do it at that point? Or did you just reinstall the game normally?

Number 10.) could have added some complication to this. If there was damage to the initial installation, the problem may have carried over. Residual files exist in many places throughout the master file table. The clean installation will remove these things. A normal re-installation will most often not. Wiping your drive, re-initializing your drive, and installing a fresh version of Windows will remove these things. Re-installing or upgrading Windows with an existing file table will not.

I'd leave Windows alone for now. BIOS was a good call, but that can be ruled out now. Everything I'm seeing looks like a software issue. Some we can just ignore, as I can confirm they'll happen everywhere, and are just imperfections in the game or drivers. The vanishing car parts and wild corruption through that fence are absolutely not normal. But they're so consistent that I don't believe it's hardware. Hardware issues don't usually manifest in ways that can be reliably recreated with that level of accuracy over this much time.
Ok so by clean install I mean the game. I haven't touched the Windows. I think the way I made the list is causing confusion.
  1. updated all mods
  2. started new game
  3. removed all mods
  4. started new game
  5. uninstalled the game
  6. removed residual CP2077 files in preparation for clean-install following the guide
  7. deleting all saves ever and "saves sync" turned off in GOG
  8. installing the game
  9. started new game
  10. GPU driver update with "perform clean install" checked in the dialogue box
  11. GPU driver remoival with DDU in safe mode and no network until Nvidia driver is installed
  12. BIOS update
  13. chipset driver update
  14. Windows update just in case (might not be at this exact time but it was one of the last things I did)
  15. testing with Unigine benchmark (no artefacts, odd frequency, or temp behaviour)
  16. temp files cleanup including directx cashe
  17. GOG game file verification constantly just in case (most of the time this step is done after each of the above)
Post automatically merged:

Oh just remembered to add one more step when I checked the redistributables versions but they are all up to date.

Upvote 0
I don't remember something like this existing then. But then again, at release, I had a much bigger tolerance for bugs, therefore I can't be 100% sure, unfortunately. Sorry, that's all I remember.

Ok so by clean install I mean the game. I haven't touched the Windows. I think the way I made the list is causing confusion.
  1. updated all mods
  2. started new game
  3. removed all mods
  4. started new game
  5. uninstalled the game
  6. removed residual CP2077 files in preparation for clean-install following the guide
  8. installing the game
  9. started new game
  11. GPU driver remoival with DDU in safe mode and no network until Nvidia driver is installed
  12. BIOS update
  14. Windows update just in case (might not be at this exact time but it was one of the last things I did)
  15. testing with Unigine benchmark (no artefacts, odd frequency, or temp behaviour)
  17. GOG game file verification constantly just in case (most of the time this step is done after each of the above)

Oh just remembered to add one more step when I checked the redistributables versions but they are all up to date.
By "clean install", I'm specifically referring to this:

Upvote 0
By "clean install", I'm specifically referring to this:
Yes, that's the clean-install guide I am talking about and it's wats happening from steps 5 to 8. So, I didn't do it at the right time or was something else I did wrong?

1. updated all mods
  2. started new game
  3. removed all mods
  4. started new game
  5. uninstalled the game
  8. installing the game
  9. started new game
  12. BIOS update
I think the way I did it shouldn't carry over any issues but you never know. Maybe I should do the clean-install but include uninstalling and deleting residual GOG files as well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Maybe I should do the clean-install but include uninstalling and deleting residual GOG files as well.

Not necessary. GoG itself isn't carrying over any residual files. So, unless you have been changing your install folder around multiple times and potentially re-installing/copying over existing pre-existing paths, GOG isn't bringing over any problems after a clean install.

I have been modding CP2077 since, literally, day one and I've destroyed my game/saves more times than I care to admit. A clean install is enough, no GOG related removal is necessary. It's essentially starting anew.

Doesn't hurt to try, of course, but it's very unlikely to be the problem.

Out of curiosity, and I freely admit I skimmed through the thread and I might've missed if you already did this, have you tried turning off the REDmod DLC? In your game settings through GOG -> DLC -> uncheck Cyberpunk 2077 REDmod

It comes with some modding functionalities baked it. I have no clue if disabling mods through the features also turns those functionalities off or if it only disallows REDmod mods but it's worth a shot. I'm at work and the game isn't intalled at the moment so I can't check myself. You're pretty much at that point now, just trying various things. Yay, troubleshooting.

Upvote 0
Not necessary. GoG itself isn't carrying over any residual files. So, unless you have been changing your install folder around multiple times and potentially re-installing/copying over existing pre-existing paths, GOG isn't bringing over any problems after a clean install.

I have been modding CP2077 since, literally, day one and I've destroyed my game/saves more times than I care to admit. A clean install is enough, no GOG related removal is necessary. It's essentially starting anew.

Doesn't hurt to try, of course, but it's very unlikely to be the problem.

Out of curiosity, and I freely admit I skimmed through the thread and I might've missed if you already did this, have you tried turning off the REDmod DLC? In your game settings through GOG -> DLC -> uncheck Cyberpunk 2077 REDmod

It comes with some modding functionalities baked it. I have no clue if disabling mods through the features also turns those functionalities off or if it only disallows REDmod mods but it's worth a shot. I'm at work and the game isn't intalled at the moment so I can't check myself. You're pretty much at that point now, just trying various things. Yay, troubleshooting.
There's a REDmod DLC? I haven't looked at the DLCs of the game so I will try to turn it off and see what happens.

So I don't think that the REDmod DLC is installed. Or maybe I just can't find where to turn it off. I am looking at the "Settings" to the right of the "Play" button then Manage Installation -> Configure -> DLC and there's nothing there. That's odd, aren't all the DLCs supposed to be listed there?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
There's a REDmod DLC? I haven't looked at the DLCs of the game so I will try to turn it off and see what happens.

So I don't think that the REDmod DLC is installed. Or maybe I just can't find where to turn it off. I am looking at the "Settings" to the right of the "Play" button then Manage Installation -> Configure -> DLC and there's nothing there. That's odd, aren't all the DLCs supposed to be listed there?

You're in the right spot.

And, yes, they are supposed to be listed there. If installed that is. In your case that's one more thing to cross off the list. I just had a nagging doubt that *maybe* this was messing with your install. It's the only "mod" that GOG installs.

If you look for it on GOG, you should be able to install it and it will make it appear in the DLC tab. Not that I'd suggest this at this point since you want your game to be as vanilla as humanly possible right now.

Mods not enabled in the features tab either? Note that I don't remember if this appeared when I installed REDmod, it might not be there for you.

Upvote 0
You're in the right spot.

And, yes, they are supposed to be listed there. If installed that is. In your case that's one more thing to cross off the list. I just had a nagging doubt that *maybe* this was messing with your install. It's the only "mod" that GOG installs.

If you look for it on GOG, you should be able to install it and it will make it appear in the DLC tab. Not that I'd suggest this at this point since you want your game to be as vanilla as humanly possible right now.

Mods not enabled in the features tab either? Note that I don't remember if this appeared when I installed REDmod, it might not be there for you.
There are only "Cloud Saves", "Overlay" and "Launch parameters" under the Features tab.

Upvote 0
There are only "Cloud Saves", "Overlay" and "Launch parameters" under the Features tab.

Alright so that clears this up. It makes sense it would a REDmod related check box considering archive mods worked before that.

It truly is a weird issue you are experiencing.

I mean, some of the things you report, we all have to various degrees but some of the stuff you experience should clear right up with a clean install. Especially considering everything else you've done.

And every time you verified the game files, nothing was downloaded?

Upvote 0
Alright so that clears this up. It makes sense it would a REDmod related check box considering archive mods worked before that.

It truly is a weird issue you are experiencing.

I mean, some of the things you report, we all have to various degrees but some of the stuff you experience should clear right up with a clean install. Especially considering everything else you've done.
That's the reason I am posting here as there's always a possibility that I've missed something. The more people/eyes the less of a chance something to be missed. What drives me crazy is that it seems I have tried everything and still don't know if it's the game or if I did something wrong.
In the years I have modded Skyrim and Fallout, at this point, there's usually at least a lead of some sort. Not to mention the times when you do the same thing twice to fix an issue and the second time it works for who knows what reason.
In this case, nothing seems to work.
Honestly, at this point, I am thinking of removing the game, gog and all residual files as I am out of ideas. Then reinstalling them back to see if that works.
And every time you verified the game files, nothing was downloaded?
Well, it sits there for a while but unless there's a log or something I am not sure if it's downloading something. The loading bar finishes and that's it.

Upvote 0
That's the reason I am posting here as there's always a possibility that I've missed something. The more people/eyes the less of a chance something to be missed. What drives me crazy is that it seems I have tried everything and still don't know if it's the game or if I did something wrong.
In the years I have modded Skyrim and Fallout, at this point, there's usually at least a lead of some sort. Not to mention the times when you do the same thing twice to fix an issue and the second time it works for who knows what reason.
In this case, nothing seems to work.
Honestly, at this point, I am thinking of removing the game, gog and all residual files as I am out of ideas. Then reinstalling them back to see if that works.

Believe me, I understand the feeling. Back in Oblivion's days I went as far nuking my entire computer. Just starting entirely from scratch. Totally overkill but I ran out of ideas at the time. It also worked so.... there is that.

Like I said, there is no harm in removing GOG entirely and just deleting every single trace of any folder it ever touched/created if you want to. I'm just doubting it'll have any effect. If it works though... It'll be almost incomprehensible but a win is a win.

Well, it sits there for a while but unless there's a log or something I am not sure if it's downloading something. The loading bar finishes and that's it.

When you verify a game and a file needs to be reacquired, the download section of GOG should show X amount of MB/GB needing/being downloaded.

If the bar fills up and nothing shows up in download, it means nothing needed to be reacquired. Which is both a good thing and a bad thing as it does not help identify or narrow down the issue.

Upvote 0
Believe me, I understand the feeling. Back in Oblivion's days I went as far nuking my entire computer. Just starting entirely from scratch. Totally overkill but I ran out of ideas at the time. It also worked so.... there is that.

Like I said, there is no harm in removing GOG entirely and just deleting every single trace of any folder it ever touched/created if you want to. I'm just doubting it'll have any effect. If it works though... It'll be almost incomprehensible but a win is a win.

When you verify a game and a file needs to be reacquired, the download section of GOG should show X amount of MB/GB needing/being downloaded.

If the bar fills up and nothing shows up in download, it means nothing needed to be reacquired. Which is both a good thing and a bad thing as it does not help identify or narrow down the issue.
Yep, I am not far from reinstalling Windows at the moment. Doing the clean-install and gog removal currently. If that doesn't work then I will reinstall Windows. Usually completely wiping my PC is a last resort thing but it works in most cases. In cases like this, everything just seems like sweeping the dirt under the rug and trying to figure out things just wastes more time than reinstalling Windows and all the other things.

Just noticed. I got this save that is in the GOG cloud that comes with the game even after the clean install. It seems like I can't get rid of it as well because I can't delete saves from the cloud apparently. If I remove it manually GOG puts it back again. If I try to delete it through the game it gives me an error. Do you think that this save file is carrying some old broken data and it messes with the game even though I haven't loaded or touched it?

Last edited:

DC9V

Forum veteran
Upvote 0
Yep, I am not far from reinstalling Windows at the moment. Doing the clean-install and gog removal currently. If that doesn't work then I will reinstall Windows. Usually completely wiping my PC is a last resort thing but it works in most cases. In cases like this, everything just seems like sweeping the dirt under the rug and trying to figure out things just wastes more time than reinstalling Windows and all the other things.

Just noticed. I got this save that is in the GOG cloud that comes with the game even after the clean install. It seems like I can't get rid of it as well because I can't delete saves from the cloud apparently. If I remove it manually GOG puts it back again. If I try to delete it through the game it gives me an error.
I feel like Norton could still be the issue. Or Windows Defender's Data Execution Prevention.

Do you think that this save file is carrying some old broken data and it messes with the game even though I haven't loaded or touched it?
I think it could be possible. I once had the impression that a bug was getting shared by all of my auto-saves. I didn't try to reproduce it though. All I know is that after I've deleted all of my auto-saves, the bug was gone. What's definitely possible is that if you load a corrupted save that for some reason hasn't been detected by the game, creating another save based on that corrupted save will carry-over the corrupted part, so it could also have been the case that I simply wasn't able to see the bug until it occurred.

Upvote 0
I feel like Norton could still be the issue. Or Windows Defender's Data Execution Prevention.
Norton isn't on the system anymore. Do you know how I can check if this Defender Execution Prevention is doing something wrong?
I think it could be possible. I once had the impression that a bug was getting shared by all of my auto-saves. I didn't try to reproduce it though. All I know is that after I've deleted all of my auto-saves, the bug was gone. What's definitely possible is that if you load a corrupted save that for some reason hasn't been detected by the game, creating another save based on that corrupted save will carry-over the corrupted part, so it could also have been the case that I simply wasn't able to see the bug until it occurred.
I managed to finally delete the safe. I haven't loaded it though. The moment I saw it on the "load save" in-game list I started looking for a way to delete it. Initially, it wouldn't allow me for some reason. Do you think another clean-install after deleting it, is necessary?

Upvote 0
Norton isn't on the system anymore. Do you know how I can check if this Defender Execution Prevention is doing something wrong?

Simply turn off Windows Defender entirely. It would be incredibly surprising if this is causing issue and that would be the simplest way of testing. Turn it off entirely, test, and turn it back on afterwards.

I managed to finally delete the safe. I haven't loaded it though. The moment I saw it on the "load save" in-game list I started looking for a way to delete it. Initially, it wouldn't allow me for some reason. Do you think another clean-install after deleting it, is necessary?

Unnecessary.

A corrupted save carries it's corrupted data with it but it won't push it onto new, entirely, separate save from a new play through. A new game should not carry this data at all, even if you load another, corrupted, save and then go back to the new, uncorrupted one.

For example, I had one such save myself at some point after too much messing around with .ini files in the early days of CP2077. My enemies had an insanely jacked up amount of health. No amount of cleaning up and fresh install would change that. That save is forever borked. Any new game is entirely clean from it's issues though, even if I leave it in my saved game folder it won't affect new saves from entirely new play through.

Upvote 0
Unnecessary.

A corrupted save carries it's corrupted data with it but it won't push it onto new, entirely, separate save from a new play through. A new game should not carry this data at all, even if you load another, corrupted, save and then go back to the new, uncorrupted one.

For example, I had one such save myself at some point after too much messing around with .ini files in the early days of CP2077. My enemies had an insanely jacked up amount of health. No amount of cleaning up and fresh install would change that. That save is forever borked. Any new game is entirely clean from it's issues though, even if I leave it in my saved game folder it won't affect new saves from entirely new play through.
Ah, good to know, thanks. Sometimes issues come from the weirdest and least expected places so now I know it can't be that.
Well...seems like I will be reinstalling Windows soon, and hopefully, it fixes things.

Top Bottom