Visual GPS is needed similar to Ghosts of Tsushima

+
The minimap is way, way too small. But even ignoring that, paying attention to the minimap on where I'm going leads to me missing the entire world. There might be a lot of problems with this game, but I don't think the map is one. It's beautiful at times. We have Eye Implants, so why not give us a visual GPS similar to how Ghosts of Tsushima handles their in-game GPS.

For those of you that don't know, Ghosts of Tsushima does not have a compass or GPS system like most open world games. Instead they have a dedicated button for a visual aid that vaguely leads to whatever marker you place on your map. This vague visual marker is wind. It picks up leaves, grass and other small loose, light objects and pushes them across your screen leading them to where you are going. It's solid enough that you don't have to focus on it, and vague enough that you can see through it and appreciate the beautiful world around you. No other open world game I've seen has done the compass / GPS system better. Ever.

So with that being said, I personally think we should get something similar. The small minimap is awful and taking your eyes off the map for even a moment can lead you missing a turn. We have eye implants, so why not a visual aid to represent where we are going, think of it in a similar vein to Witcher Site. You can turn it off or on. Simply a neon glow that is a long massive line that shows where we need to go. It can be as small and simple as a actual visible line on the road or whatever.

This would let us get a better idea of where we need to go more than the terrible minimap and let players appreciate the world.

What do you guys think?

I personally don't mind the minimap at all, but, I am definitely down for more options as this has cropped up a few times now, whether it's this rather discreet way, or some people are asking for forza like driving lines, add them all, just dont take my minimap away.

I don't like the sort of "move this way" on screen arrows. Works in racing games, but otherwise it takes me off the experience.
It could be explained that it's a techincal thing that the GPS is on the windshield for vehicles, but since the markers target mission objectives (i.e. a moving car, or person) it just takes me out of the experience and reduces the gameplay to a boring "follow an arrow" ordeal... Yeah, no. Nah.

The minimap should zoom out depending on speed, that's a given, though.

I don't like the sort of "move this way" on screen arrows. Works in racing games, but otherwise it takes me off the experience.
It could be explained that it's a techincal thing that the GPS is on the windshield for vehicles, but since the markers target mission objectives (i.e. a moving car, or person) it just takes me out of the experience and reduces the gameplay to a boring "follow an arrow" ordeal... Yeah, no. Nah.

The minimap should zoom out depending on speed, that's a given, though.
If it's an option or an implant and you can not get the implant or turn it off why care if it's there or not. Never understood opinions like this. Ya, sure you are free to feel this way about it, I just never understood someone that is opposed to an option that will give others joy and at the same time they don't have to use that option at all and can play how they want.

If it's an option or an implant and you can not get the implant or turn it off why care if it's there or not. Never understood opinions like this. Ya, sure you are free to feel this way about it, I just never understood someone that is opposed to an option that will give others joy and at the same time they don't have to use that option at all and can play how they want.

As far as I know you cannot turn off the markers that person is talking about, and it's also not an implant, did you misread something they said because it doesn't read like that to me at all.

Well they are pretty hard to understand, if you're not "there" with the one who gives it.

But the way I see it, I don't "really" mind if you have your options as some sort of in-game items and such. But it kinda gives the same sort of feeling as with if the game put a box with the best gear possible in it in your apartmet at the get go. One doesn't have to use it, ever, but it is a constant reminder that you can break your experience with it at all times. And the feeling that comes from it, that can't just be turned off if it is there, is pretty devastating for the experience. Going through the challeges without them feels like a fools errand, and less fun is being had.

Now, because it's is not part of the in-game experience (it's just setting the stage), a difficulty setting might handle that part. Modular, perhaps, or not.

Hope this clarifies my stance a bit.

I don't think the map size is an issue. I just wish it was more dynamic like gta, in the sense that the faster you go the more of the map you can see. I can't count how many times I drive past a turn cause I just don't know it's coming

I prefer having visual arrows on the street, just like the races. Having to periodically look up and to the right to check some outdated Witcher 3 dot GPS directions really takes it away from looking around the city as I zip around. Having a wide monitor only makes it worse.

A GoT like wind mechanic will not help when you have to interweave in vertically dense areas. You wouldn't know if your destination is up high on 20th floor, or in the basement, or even how to get there.

The current GPS lines show you the path you need to take, including stairs or lifts, to get to your destination.

The best way for immersion in my opinion is that we should only see HUD elements when we press the scan button. Outside of that, the HUD should be clean.

Guest 4375874

The minimap is way, way too small. But even ignoring that, paying attention to the minimap on where I'm going leads to me missing the entire world. There might be a lot of problems with this game, but I don't think the map is one. It's beautiful at times. We have Eye Implants, so why not give us a visual GPS similar to how Ghosts of Tsushima handles their in-game GPS.

For those of you that don't know, Ghosts of Tsushima does not have a compass or GPS system like most open world games. Instead they have a dedicated button for a visual aid that vaguely leads to whatever marker you place on your map. This vague visual marker is wind. It picks up leaves, grass and other small loose, light objects and pushes them across your screen leading them to where you are going. It's solid enough that you don't have to focus on it, and vague enough that you can see through it and appreciate the beautiful world around you. No other open world game I've seen has done the compass / GPS system better. Ever.

So with that being said, I personally think we should get something similar. The small minimap is awful and taking your eyes off the map for even a moment can lead you missing a turn. We have eye implants, so why not a visual aid to represent where we are going, think of it in a similar vein to Witcher Site. You can turn it off or on. Simply a neon glow that is a long massive line that shows where we need to go. It can be as small and simple as a actual visible line on the road or whatever.

This would let us get a better idea of where we need to go more than the terrible minimap and let players appreciate the world.

What do you guys think?
As many have already pointed out that just takes you out of the game. I like this game because I love the Cyberpunk genre and that's just not in line with the overall aesthetic of that kind of world. I know it's a game yes so they can just put it in there but it would feel out of place.

Secondly the mini-map helps me with missions. Sometimes I have no intention of doing a side mission until later but I pass the mission icon on the mini-map and I decide to just stop and do it or if there's a crime near by that's close but out of sight.

I prefer having visual arrows on the street, just like the races. Having to periodically look up and to the right to check some outdated Witcher 3 dot GPS directions really takes it away from looking around the city as I zip around. Having a wide monitor only makes it worse.
I don't know why this wasn't the default, at least for vehicles. I don't mind the minimap while walking around, but why in a world so technologically advanced as the world of CP2077 does my GPS require me to take my eyes off the road while driving? Especially since I have cybernetic optics, and several of my cars have projected displays instead of glass windows anyway.

Tsushima's guiding wind system was brilliant, but in a game where the player is pretty much required/forced to have artificial eyes installed, it really isn't needed. If anything, there should be more UI and vision options like a GPS and pathfinding system, a customizable map, FF detection, etc. Alas, again, CDPR didn't really take advantage of what they could have done there design wise.

At first, I was completely with this especially when I was driving. After I stopped looking at the GPS and started learning the city, it is much more fun. If I feel like I made a wrong turn, it is a good reminder, but beyond that, if there was a hand holding feature, I would turn it off.

Witcher 3 does have something like witcher sense, Tsushima just elevates it to be used on path finding.

It would be better if there is something similar used in CP2077 on screen like holding a button to show the path with some tweak of futuristic way.

Okay, hate to be a dick but Ghost of Tsushima is a bad example of how this concept could be implemented, way too artsy and not compatible with the Cyberpunk aesthetic. Try something more like how Dead Space handled this, and you're golden

Really?

I fucking HATE the wind mechanic.

I liked it in GOT because it worked within those game & open world mechanics well.

This would not be the case with Cyberpunk and though on option to turn on driving paths for some might be reasonable. Everything outside of that is pretty ridiculous = just pull the zoom on the map out more to help with turns and honestly would be perfectly fine.

Not all ideas are good ideas and the recent flood of requests + suggestions & sometime outright demands (to fix your game CDPR) is getting pretty absurd and honestly hope that CDPR approaches it their own way with some ideas possibly influencing their further implamentations and changes.

Flooding the game with mechanics that are not required + do little to effect overall gameplay for the masses + waste time and resources that could be much better spent and focused on actual problems the game is facing... Is just absurd and this is how games get Frankensteined into oblivion and left an even further broken mess that many will stop playing in a yeara time regardleas. Hope CDPR does not give credence to many off these ideas... In the end it will not help the game as awhole, as most feel their suggestions will and even more so when far too many have little to no experience or background in any facet of game design. Ideas are nice, but most of what people suggest is not a simple implamentation + often causes problems within other features & mechanics + wastes time / money / dev usage that have more important and glaring issues to address...

Also = if you feel the game needs things like this to be enjoyed by yourself or the minimal some. Look for MODS or design your own, i spent the better part of 10 years designing and creating mods for Skyrim that i and a few others wanted or thought were good in theory. This is the right route and leave CDPR to do what they are fully aware of having to do ;)

Last edited:
I would love to have an implant I could add to my head so that I can see arrows on the road while driving. Or maybe an attachment for glasses.

Why has no-one mentioned what we have today and has proven to work in RL? Keep the mini map (I use a mod to zoom it out to show the turns better so I do not miss them). The mini is the best and simplest way to get around in buildings.

But for Pete sake once you are in a vehicle also have a VOICE that says right turn next, left turn next and so on. :shrug:

Top Bottom