Vizimir II

+
Vizimir II

So I just read chapter 10 of Lady of the Lake, it was brilliant IMO. But I forgot, when and how did Geralt know about the people involved in the assassination of Vizimir II and thus sent a letter to Dijkstra ?
Does it have something to do with Schirru ? I do not recall their conversations (in Tower of Swallow) have anything to do with Vizimir's death ?

It's been a while since I read the book, but I think it's part of the conversation he overhears in Toussaint that tells him where Vilgefortz is located. The conspirators discuss assassinating Emperor Emhyr, and one of them remarks that Vilgefortz used a magically-protected assassin to kill Vizimir of Redania. I think Geralt sent the letter to Dijkstra as insurance- if he died trying to get to Vilgefortz, Dijkstra would follow the trail to avenge his king, and maybe save Yennefer in the process.

Edit: the bit in Toussaint is in Lady of the Lake btw, not Tower of the Swallow.

I see. Thanks!
This is the final conversation between Dijkstra and Philippa in Lady of the Lake. (I am reading the fans translation)
‘The half-elf who murdered the king,’ Dijkstra lowered his voice even more, ‘was definitely crazy. But he was not alone.’
‘What are you saying?’
‘Quiet,’ hissed Dijkstra. ‘Hush, Phil.’
‘Do not call me Phil. Do you have evidence? What? From where?’
‘You’d be surprised, Phil, if I told you where. When can I expect an audience with Your Ladyship?’
Philippa Eilhart’s eyes were like two black bottomless lakes.
‘Soon, Dijkstra.’
Bells rang. The crowd cheered hoarsely. The troops marched. The petals of flowers fell like snowflakes on the pavement of Novigrad.
After this, Dijkstra had to flee the northern kingdoms and became a fugitive with assassins on his trail, because he "said the wrong word to the wrong person". This implies Philippa was in on the assassination of Vizimir. And I find this unconvincing.

Firstly, what was her motive in killing Vizimir and supporting the Nilfgaard invasion ? I suppose the Lodge knows nothing about this, perhaps only Philippa and Vilgefortz. Vilgefortz was trying to gain Emhyr's trust I understand. But Why did Vilgefortz need Philippa's involvement ? (I suppose she could break his magic shield ?). Also weren't they on opposite side at the Thanedd coup ?

Secondly, even if she was guilty of regicide, why did she need to order a hit on Dijkstra ?
She already has a scapegoat, Vilgefortz, who was dead, Schirru was also dead, how can this be traced back to her ?
Furthermore, she's supposed to be a powerful sorceress, if she wanted to kill him why couldn't she do so during their secret meeting ? why hired assassins and made the whole thing much less certain ?

Perhaps I am misunderstanding something ...

Been more than a year since I read the books. Honestly I kind of rushed that experience instead of savouring it(wanted to finish reading them before Witcher 3 release) so I've surely missed many details.

But wasn't all the scheming and assassinations all for one reason:
to tailor the future using Cirilla(and her Elder blood heritage) furthering and paving the way for a future that the schemers controlled. Avoiding the realisation of prophecies and whatnot. Hell, even Hen Gedymdeith was in on it

Why Djikstra was targeted? He's a smart and resourceful man, with way too much info in that old noggin of his. That is what I believe anyway.

There are also other people who seem to hate Dijkstra. Hierarch Hemmelfart of Novigrad expresses a wish to see Dijkstra disappear without a trace. Radovid hates Philippa, and possibly sees Dijkstra as her ally and conspirator. The former Scoiatel all associated Dijkstra with Drakenborg and the torture of nonhumans. It would be genius if Radovid sent the assassins and fooled Dijkstra into thinking it was Philippa.

became a fugitive with assassins on his trail, because he "said the wrong word to the wrong person".
I wonder if the word is "Montecalvo"- the meeting place of the Lodge. It seems a bit strange though, because Dijkstra already knew and Philippa seemed to tolerate his knowledge before.

There is one rather more complicated motive I can think of for Philippa- protecting the plan to install Ciri as Tancred Thyssen's mistress. If Dijkstra told Phil how he learned about King Vizimir's assassin- from Vattier de Rideaux and the Emperor- she might decide that Dijkstra has a good chance of learning about the fake Ciri in Nilfgaard. Dijkstra is also in communication with Esterad Thyssen, Tancred's father. With these connections he might be able to identify the real Ciri when she shows up at the Koviri court. Esterad Thyssen, who received dreams about the real Ciri from Sile de Tancarville, is suspicious at the ceremony in Cintra, and he is also killed by assassins (though when exactly this happens is unclear). Philippa might have decided that Dijkstra and Esterad had to die to prevent the Lodge's scheme with Ciri being discovered.

It's also possible that King Esterad and Dijkstra were killed by Nilfgaardian agents as revenge for secretly financing the war against Nilfgaard, and Dijkstra blaming Philippa is a paranoid mistake.

But I forgot, when and how did Geralt know about the people involved in the assassination of Vizimir II and thus sent a letter to Dijkstra ?
1. Geralt finds out where Vilgefortz' hideout is and sends this info to Dijkstra.
2. Dijkstra sends info about hideout to Vattier (reason why Impera Brigade entered Stygga at a climax).
3. Vattier sends info about Filippa's involvement in the assasination to Dijkstra.
4. Dijkstra acts hastily and is forced to escape.

Just Finished the Lady of The Lake , It puzzled me who killed King Vizimir II of Redania ? It wast clear why Dijkstra flee or he track down the killer , My thought it was Philippa sent the assassin ? Since she's the only one ambitious enough to gain control or scheme something.

Breve20929;n8131360 said:
Just Finished the Lady of The Lake , It puzzled me who killed King Vizimir II of Redania ? It wast clear why Dijkstra flee or he track down the killer , My thought it was Philippa sent the assassin ? Since she's the only one ambitious enough to gain control or scheme something.

Yes, Philippa sent the assassin. Sapkowski confirmed it in the interview.

@SMiki55 speaks maybe about this interview :

Marek Pszczolka: Kto i dlaczego wydał wyrok na Djikstrę (który jest jednym z moich ulubionych bohaterów). Mówi on, że powiedział jedno słowo za dużo, jednej osobie za dużo. Czyżby to była Filippa?

AS: Oczywiście, że to ona. Dijkstra padł – a raczej o mało nie padł – ofiarą własnej prowokacji. Proszę jeszcze raz przeczytać stosowny fragment, który nie pozostawia wątpliwości.

Source : https://sapkowskipl.wordpress.com/2017/03/11/nieustajacy-wywiad-zony/

@SMiki55 speaks maybe about this interview :

Marek Pszczolka: Kto i dlaczego wydał wyrok na Djikstrę (który jest jednym z moich ulubionych bohaterów). Mówi on, że powiedział jedno słowo za dużo, jednej osobie za dużo. Czyżby to była Filippa?

AS: Oczywiście, że to ona. Dijkstra padł – a raczej o mało nie padł – ofiarą własnej prowokacji. Proszę jeszcze raz przeczytać stosowny fragment, który nie pozostawia wątpliwości.

Source : https://sapkowskipl.wordpress.com/2017/03/11/nieustajacy-wywiad-zony/

Awesome! Thank you so much :)

Top Bottom