Voorhis Spy Deck seems actually good (you heard that right)

+
Voorhis Spy Deck seems actually good (you heard that right)

Yup. That's right. I had made one of these before Midwinter and then let it rest for a long while. Recently I dusted it off again and boy, it seems to actually work. Here's the rundown:

Leader: Voorhis

Golds:
Vilgefortz
Leo Bonhart
Geralt: Igni
Stefan Skellen

Silvers:
Cantarella
Assire
Auckes
Decoy
Ceallach
Joachim De Wett

Bronzes:

3x Imperial Golem
3x Spotter
3x Impera Brigade
3x Emissary
2x Vicovaro Medic
1x Venendal Elite

So far I've beaten most opponents that came in my way, including popular decks like Greatswords, Veterans and Nekkers. Auckes is very useful in this meta, where removal is countered by revivals and slyzards, since he keeps the opponent's units on the board. On the other hand, should they go in the graveyard somehow, stealing them with Vicovaro Medics is always an option :)

Assire finds insane value, since she can give you spotters and brigades back. Very often your opponent will scorch a couple of big units you have on the board and you can place them back in the deck that way. Also, on the worst case scenario where neither Cantarella nor Skellen is in your hand, she can be a target for the Spotters.

Right, your opening looks pretty standard but it depends on your hand. The 3 cards you need to have are Stefan Skellen, Cantarella and Leo Bonhart. If you don't have Cantarella, make do with Assire. On your first couple of turns use Skellen if you have him to bring Leo Bonhart/Cantarella (whatever is not in your hand, Cantarella is the priority) up on top and Voorhis to thin your deck from the golems. Reveal 4 enemy cards if and only if you hold Bonhart or have brought him on top. Otherwise reveal 3 enemy cards and Assire/Cantarella. Then play like a spy deck, placing emissaries (be careful with accidental bricks, like summoning 2 vicovaros when the enemy's graveyard is empty. In general, since you have no way of killing emissaries, you should only play one or two in the first round unless your opponent runs longships or consumers and can kill your spies that way.) De Wett can give you a buffed impera brigade as a scorch shield, protecting your spotters. Then Cantarella will probably be one of your last cards. You can use it to add points to the row that you want to use G:Igni on.

Do not hesitate to use decoy on Auckes. Quadruple lock can cost on a lot of opponents. decoy on Auckes has already won me 2 matches, one when I locked the opponent's 2 Vran warriors and 2 Nekkers and another when I locked all of his longships.

Most importantly, because you have spotters, NG Handbuff will be utterly wrecked by you.

So yeah :) If you have any feedback, most welcome to post it here. Enjoy

Last edited:
i like the idea of the deck. But i think thats only cause spotting decks were the tactics at my starting time of gwent. And i am always searching vor other ideas of how to play this style again. It would be nice to know, where u testet or used the Deck, cause its different if u play it in normal, ranked lvl 10 or ranked lvl 20+ ^^

Skybeatzz;n10716481 said:
i like the idea of the deck. But i think thats only cause spotting decks were the tactics at my starting time of gwent. And i am always searching vor other ideas of how to play this style again. It would be nice to know, where u testet or used the Deck, cause its different if u play it in normal, ranked lvl 10 or ranked lvl 20+ ^^

I haven't tried it in ranked, only casual but I've tested it against all the known top tier decks. It doesn't take ranked to encounter those decks, with so many people netdecking ;)

So far it has a good matchup against veterans, Nekkers, Greatswords and Armor. Alchemy is also a somewhat positive matchup, but watch out for Mandrake, you do not want Joachim to hit a spotter before they've used that ;)

The difficult matchups in general are Henselt and Brouver because both are coinflip abuse decks and this deck aims for a quick pass on r1 to bog down opponents in a long round. Also because they pack Scorch and don't have a lot of targets to lock with Auckes. It has won against Henselt on the blue coin though...twice :p If you manage to reveal the Baron in their hand, you can use a Venendal later on. To be fair I was lucky in that my opponent didn't draw Scorch though.

Btw, I have updated the deck slightly ever since I made the thread. I swapped a Vicovaro Medic for a Venendal Elite. I'll include it in the OP now :)

I used to play a spy deck with the old letho combo (with Peter back then) and it worked really well for me, until I started hitting higher ranks. I really want to try this one out, but if you've only tried it in casual, claiming it's strong isn't really enough. It's a cool concept, but hard to tell it'sactual strength with just this information.

An interesting concept, but why use spies at all? There is not much sinergy between spy and reveal mechanics, so many rounds you won't be able to keep up with the opponent if your hand doesn't have enough spies - brigades need at least 3 spies just to reach 12 power. I'd say replace them with magne division + shields, which gives more flexibility(no need to play all spies in a single round) + thinning. I tried something like that, and it works pretty decent at 4200+, with the obvious downside of tough mulligans; but that's why we include sire.

Yn8sra;n10850761 said:
An interesting concept, but why use spies at all? There is not much sinergy between spy and reveal mechanics, so many rounds you won't be able to keep up with the opponent if your hand doesn't have enough spies - brigades need at least 3 spies just to reach 12 power. I'd say replace them with magne division + shields, which gives more flexibility(no need to play all spies in a single round) + thinning. I tried something like that, and it works pretty decent at 4200+, with the obvious downside of tough mulligans; but that's why we include sire.

3 spies there, 2 from Ceallach plus Decoy, 1 more from Cantarella and 1 more from Joachim makes this some decent amount of power. I include spies because they are basically reconnaissance on a stick, which you can revive. The point of this deck is to have access to the bronzes, so that you don't lose power, Spies can help you tutor the Venendal which would be useless if you couldn't play it before Cantarella, and help you draw the spotters as well. Brigades are an added benefit, they are not the focus of this deck, but they always reach more than 14 power :)

ManBearPigTroll;n10907831 said:
It is pretty good but Alchemy is simply better

Hmm, Alchemy doesn't really work for me. I've tried it, aside from the fact that I don't really like it, it's the weakest top tier deck. I haven't tried either on a high rank though. This one's very difficult to pilot but can work wonders if you get the right cards at the right time.

Top Bottom