Vrihedd sappers and ambush cards

+
Vrihedd sappers and ambush cards

So, I've been trying my best at experimenting with a damage control SC build. With a good focus on damage units and scorch effects, I feel that the ambush cards, even if very limited in quantity, can still be quite effective.

About sappers, though, why wouldn't he turn around if the round ends? I mean, he's a simple 7 power unit with no effects, who automatically turns around after 2 turns, why limit him to the point that he won't turn if the round ends?

Cost me a game yesterday when my First light pulled my one off sappers and I lost with a 5 power difference. Really frustrating stuff. I really don't see a reason to limit a card with so little power potential anyway. Anyone else agree, or am I missing some angle here?

It could be 'Activate on 2 round timer or if the opponent passes'. Honestly it is practically useless card in its current form.

the trick is to use it at right time,. I use it to decive oponent to for example gain card adventage- they think its toruviel so they keep playing couse they wanna win round 1. Use it wisely and u will see that at the end it doesent need any reworks in terms of mechanic- small boost to power wouldnt hurt really =)

Sappers definitely has its uses, but it becomes too unreliable when you can't play it without committing to play another 2 cards, and it also makes any first light utterly unreliable as a last turn play.

I just don't think this is warranted, when it's a simple 7 power unit with no abilities once it turns over.

But then would you apply that rule to all Ambush cards? Like Morenn - then you loose the damage or not?

I rather they keep it the way it is, forces you to focus more and makes it harder.
Making mistakes or bad choices while playing is all part of any game. You just need to live with yourself afterwards ;)

soapdx;n9041790 said:
But then would you apply that rule to all Ambush cards? Like Morenn - then you loose the damage or not?

I rather they keep it the way it is, forces you to focus more and makes it harder.
Making mistakes or bad choices while playing is all part of any game. You just need to live with yourself afterwards ;)

Nah, don't make it a rule to any ambush at all, the silvers are fine the way they are, they actually make up for the danger of not flipping over by having a very strong ability if you play them properly.

The issue with sappers is that it does nothing than have a 7 body once it flips over. It deserved to at least be that 7 body, guaranteed, IMO. Right now he's just too unstable for what he brings to the table.

You could simply add another line of text to his abilities saying that if the rounds ends, he flips over. No need to tinker with the ambush rules at all.

Or, on the other hand, he could also gain some other ability to make him worthwhile, or increased power (8 maybe?), or I'd even go as far as to say that if we had a couple more different, good ambush cards, that in itself would also buff him, as there would be some mind games again with ambush, and he'd become the bait he's intended to be, to protect other, valuable, ambushes.

He'd still be horrible with a late first light, but then again first light is just so bad right now that it shouldn't be a problem anyway ^^''

Yeah, I think spicing him up a bit would be a good move - that for sure.
What about "Gains Resilience" :DDD

I hope there are more ambush cards in the near future because I really would like ambush to be an archetype. The sapper is very lackluster. All it does is provide a seven strength body in two turns. The other ambush cards have an additional ability beyond just being an ambush card. The sappers can work in some instances to fool the other player into thinking it is one of the other ambush cards, but once those are used all the sapper is at the end of the day is a seven power card with nothing to offer.

It's an 8 now, but yeah, that didn't change much. If and when we get new ambushes, sappers might become much more useful when combined with the others. Right now, with just the two silvers, he kinda doesn't do much. It's far too easy to know if it's him or one of the others.

I like them because my opponent can't damage me for a bit haha yesterday I played 8 cards while my opponent went 8 cards before playing a single unit. I must admit is pissed me off and I quit. Shame really because us ST players should stick together!

vswiss23;n9114290 said:
I hope there are more ambush cards in the near future because I really would like ambush to be an archetype. The sapper is very lackluster. All it does is provide a seven strength body in two turns. The other ambush cards have an additional ability beyond just being an ambush card. The sappers can work in some instances to fool the other player into thinking it is one of the other ambush cards, but once those are used all the sapper is at the end of the day is a seven power card with nothing to offer.

There used to be more in Closed Beta, including a Silver and a Gold that countered Specials. I really miss them. They were probably too strong but I would have preferred a nerf versus extirpation.

The sapper us not that bad. For me he is useless for everything except last round.

Next to a gold you can't get a better first play, he's an invincible 8 strength card. And if he gets locked he is still 8.
​​​
He's good for last round scorching when timed right. Allowing you to scorch the buffed enemy units while having a fairly high strength card waiting to be turned.

As people have said he can be used to deceive people into thinking he is tourviel and baiting out a lock, but I would say he comes into his own last round with the right deck.

Top Bottom