V's reward for pursuing Phantom Liberity. Why would a Merc care?

+
Assuming this takes during Act 2. Why would V pursue this when they know they're dying and trying to find a cure? It's also a pretty safe assumption that V wins whatever the Phantom is, I mean duh. I would say V's two goals are becoming a Legend and living. So, maybe this job helps them achieve that? I dunno, I don't see how Phantom Liberity doesn't involve the relic to some degree. I know they're quests in the game that don't involve the relic, but I think with the expansion being paid and all, it's a bit different. The reward can't just be another Legendary gun/armor. I dunno am I wrong?

I sure hope they'll tie it in in a way that makes sense. The weakest part of the story is definitely the dichotomy between "hey, you've got weeks to live, maybe if you do ABCDEFG you'll live" and "bah, do random stuff for people which will serve no purpose in your survival".

I assume CDPR is aware of this highly criticized aspect of the game. Throwing in the expansion as "just something else V can do" would be very disappointing. It would definitely tie-in very poorly.

I'm hopeful they won't do that though.

With it being a paid expansion, I just want it to connect to the main campaign or side missions some how. Telling a random story while in the same process V is dying, and the sense of urgency of V dying. It's just why would V care?
We will see :)
Phantom Liberty will contain a bunch of new stuff , I have bo doubt (probably cyberwares, weapons, iconic items, vehicles and so on...), but I don't think something which could be considered as "reward". Just take a look of TW3 expansions to maybe have an idea of what you can expect.

And about the relation with the main quest, well... It's the same as many quest lines in the game (River, Kerry, Panam, Judy or Joshua). Somes could think it make no sense to do these quests, which is fair. But I assume that the majority of players completed them for a reason or for another.

I think this expansion "might" give us few new endings or alternate versions existing ones. Maybe we can side with Millitech, merge V and Johnny into one body, become Adam Smasher 3.0, or become King of Wonderland.

Right now the possibilities are endless until we get our hands on Phantom Liberty.

I kind of doubt that what Im going to suggest is the real reason for V going off to do Phantom Liberty. I don't have faith that CDPR will make a thoughtful way to tie in the expansion with the main story. Hopefully I'm wrong, but based on what I've experienced so far with the patches, etc., just doesn't seem very wise in thinking so. Anyways.

What if there was something personal about Phantom Liberty, maybe a one-time chance thing? Doesn't even necessary have to involve trying to trick V into doing it for some miracle cure, maybe it was just something V needed done before they died, and this would be the one chance to do it. Maybe someone from V's past life comes in asking for a hand, or maybe V wants a chance for revenge. Die with no regrets, etc. And maybe it just has to do something with Militech, idk. Again, you'd have to balance it in a way that is both open enough to make sense with lifepaths, character stories, etc. but still tight enough to make a well rounded story. I think going in with "an old friend now part of Militech" way could make sense, everyone in NC makes a bunch of different friends. And maybe give that player customisation in their interactions with their friend, whether it ends with helping them with this last job or shooting them dead. Idk, but gives something personal for good story while kinda making sense within the timeline of the main game.

for the new waifu AKA Songbird duh!! heuheueheu

Okay, in serious context, I think the NUSA & highly likely "Militech" will involve V regardless of V (player) particularly interested or not. Some suggest it might open a new ending that directly involved NUSA & open a far more clearer new corporate war. So who knows...
People seems to forget that in both The Sun & The Devil endings, there were a glimpse on hints through news scenes with what happened between Arasaka, Militech, & NUSA after V's raid. This is particularity strong with The Devil Ending as the news basically kinda proclaimed Arasaka practically won the latest war & they rise up to multiple levels with the relic's "Secure Your Soul" program. With Arasaka won the war, they basically own Night City & NUSA (Militech) unable to influence further. There is also the x factor of NightCorp who might be a lead by mix of Rogue AIs & certain mysterious individuals, trying to control & dominate Night City from within (corporations & government).

We will have to see won't we. Given the trailer I'm curious how they intent to tie it in because it does seem at first glance at odds with the character and current story.

The way I see it, these Phantom Liberty people most likely are aware of V's condition since they're probably something like the government, so they offer V a chance at salvation if she does certain things for them.

"Phantom Liberty". It kinda teases this right in the name. The mirage of being free of Johnny.

Which would explain why V takes up the oath to serve them, because otherwise she may not get a chance at that possible cure they offered her. And as we know very well, V does not care about such things as institutions, especially with Johnny by her side. He even tells her it is a bad idea to join them, so it has to be something really tempting for V to join. And that is the possibility of a cure.

If Phantom Liberty takes place before the ending of the game I will be shocked if it doesn't include at least one more new ending that can be unlocked and additional romances/main characters that can impact the end of the game. I see no other motivation for V to embark on that long of a journey.

Assuming this takes during Act 2. Why would V pursue this when they know they're dying and trying to find a cure? It's also a pretty safe assumption that V wins whatever the Phantom is, I mean duh. I would say V's two goals are becoming a Legend and living. So, maybe this job helps them achieve that? I dunno, I don't see how Phantom Liberity doesn't involve the relic to some degree.
Why would V care?
- Maybe she's forced to at gunpoint, or manipulated into doing so.

Dpeneding on how compelling the stakes are for V to take on this assignment, it may or may not matter if it ties into the relic. The story-writing will have to show what the incentive is.

I know they're quests in the game that don't involve the relic, but I think with the expansion being paid and all, it's a bit different. The reward can't just be another Legendary gun/armor. I dunno am I wrong?
I dont see why. The expansion being paid shouldn't have an impact in wether or not the relic is invloved. Only the continuity of the stry determines this. The 'paid'-aspect should entail you to get good content, regardless of what this is nor what it's gonna be about.
Sure, you'll have your prefernces to what 'good content' means, but that all that is.
And what 'reward' there'll be, I can't say.
Usually DLC or expansion (take your pick in naming) add new such tools in the game which I don't specifically call a 'reward' just... new stuff.
I also think you're ovethinking it in the gameplay department rather than looking at it as an expansion as a whole.

The possibility is endless until the dlc comes out. I got a gooood feeling about this. Good question though🤘🏼

I think the story and outcome will be substantial and not just a big side adventure. Probably to do with engrams and/or the Relic, that's the hook, V's probably going to be made an offer (or one they can't refuse) and we know Johnny is involved.

So many interesting little things in the teaser too. Can't wait.

Unless it's literally about a Liberty pistol with a Phantom mod, that'd be silly. o_O

Madae

Forum veteran
My take is they offer V a way to part with the relic. Then he'd be all in. Hell, maybe it'll be a legit retcon and setup for V to be in the sequel.
It would be interesting if it opened another path in the story. Not necessarily something you do in addition to everything else, but a choice you make that leads to a different result than attacking Arasaka tower... Probably won't be that way, and will probably be what everyone fears it will be (more content in between your main quest). The game is fun, but I think it's obvious CDPR didn't plan it all that well, or at least thought about the inconsistencies of making V do other things when they have a life threatening problem. Like others said, it's a real disconnect that V is running around doing what they want when there's urgency in the story.

Calling it for what it is. "Phantom Silverhand" Wouldn't it be nice
if the game took V anyplace else but Night City. It's like we're stuck
in a loop. It would be cool if the game took us to Japan. Wouldn't
mind seeing the US Cracks again.

How materialist ! :giggle:
Just a great new adventure/journey, it's not already enough ?
It is not.

It's a product for sale from a company, not a gift from a family member. Hoping that product is sensibly integrated into the basegame, with already questionable activities, isn't greedy or out of turn in the slightest. Wondering why V would purchase expensive apartments, exotic cars, and now - go on a spy mission for the NUSA, when they're operating under reliable information that they're dying soon is perfectly reasonable. It's very very likely I will purchase this expansion. I am grateful, and very surprised, for the changes CDPR has made and announced. That doesn't square the circle though.
Post automatically merged:

My take is they offer V a way to part with the relic. Then he'd be all in.
We can all dream. Given just the examples I listed above though... I wouldn't be surprised if it's no-more than a winding, cinematic, mission that pops up after StreetCred+Level XX with some added dialogue or another ending. I really hope that's not what happens though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom