V's Voice

+

Do you like the idea of having a few different options for V's voice when creating your character?

• Yes

Votes: 67 44.7%
  • No

Votes: 19 12.7%
  • It doesn't matter to me

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • I prefere no voice

Votes: 5 3.3%

• Total voters

Guest 3847602

It doesn't matter to me. I liked the voice from the trailer and having options in DAI didn't do much for me as I found all of them too uptight. There was no choice in Mass Effect Trilogy and I thought both Mark Meer and Jennifer Hale were fantastic.
I never had a problem with silent protagonist in isometric RPGs because, in most of them, NPCs are voiced only occasionally. When everyone else have a voice except for my character it breaks the illusion of him/her being natural part of the world and reminds me it's all about ME - the player.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I can I always play a female character and I don’t really care that much what she sounds like. Of course I have a preference; just about any game voice done by Laura Bailey. I love her voice. Fell in love with it when I played Saints Row 3. So a voice that does not sound like the character is old, more like in her twenties. Maybe a tiny bit raspy, too. I find that hot. But, I accept all kinds of variations, in the end.

I didn't like the voice as it didn't fit the character in the trailer at all.
It sounded like the kid from Ready player One

Not that it really matters but i'd like a non-hollywood voice. Not overdone, just a regular everyday voice.

If I can I always play a female character and I don’t really care that much what she sounds like. Of course I have a preference; just about any game voice done by Laura Bailey. I love her voice. Fell in love with it when I played Saints Row 3. So a voice that does not sound like the character is old, more like in her twenties. Maybe a tiny bit raspy, too. I find that hot. But, I accept all kinds of variations, in the end.

The moment I heard that Vs voice was so great I immediately thought of my Saints Row Boss. I just researched who voiced the first female voice in Saints Row The Third and then looked into the thread, reading your comment - Laura Bailey. Excactely! I really, really love her voice! I would also like to see Jennifer Hale but it's not like it has to be one of them but I am curious who CD Projekt chose. If it's Bailey I would flip out with joy^^

I’m not sure if the person speaking in the trailer is our MC. Some journalists have mentioned the person in the trailer is Indeed Jackie and it is his car we’re seeing.

I’m not sure if the person speaking in the trailer is our MC. Some journalists have mentioned the person in the trailer is Indeed Jackie and it is his car we’re seeing.
CDPR has their cosplayers wearing the same jacket as the guy in the trailer, so I think he's the male MC and it's his VA. But yeah it could always be another character. If that's the male voice then I'm okay with it, I still can't decide if I want to self insert as a male or try a female character first. It's hard for me to roleplay female characters because I don't know what decisions a female would make. But on the other hand I like customizing females characters more

I said no cause it seems the female V voice is good according to some lucky people who saw the demo.

Doesn't matter to me. I'm used to player characters only having one set voice (in this case one for both genders).

The moment I heard that Vs voice was so great I immediately thought of my Saints Row Boss. I just researched who voiced the first female voice in Saints Row The Third and then looked into the thread, reading your comment - Laura Bailey. Excactely! I really, really love her voice! I would also like to see Jennifer Hale but it's not like it has to be one of them but I am curious who CD Projekt chose. If it's Bailey I would flip out with joy^^
Yeah her voice would be perfect, it fit's into the world, I think. There are only a few VA's that have the same hot voice as she does, IMO.

Touche.

Well, like I said, I'm certainly not going to argue against a silent protagonist, but I see why they went the route they did. I just seriously, SERIOUSLY disagree with their choice of voice actor.

My hope is that they only made him talk like that for the trailer, and the rest of his lines are better, or at least more neutral (and thus less angsty).
I’m not sold on the trailer voice, but I’m not sure I’d describe it as angst. Stereotypically dudebroish is more like it. But truth be told, RPG protagonists tend to get very generic voices, and it’s probably by design. Even if I don’t think it’s great, I’m confident it’ll stop registering once I get used to it.

I'm content with one voice for each male and female. Two for each would be better, but that's a lot of extra cost.

I don't like voice from male V, if they still didn't recorded too much dialogues they should change it imho, because it's lackluster and don't fit the world.

The voice is precisely what creates the disconnect for me. That even if I am given free reign otherwise and told to make my own character, it is still dictated to me that ”this is who you must play”, the voice forces a characterization. It’s very limiting (not only to me, but also to the creative design choices insofar as dialog options and ways of character expressions go as you can’t have dialog options that would sound out of character) and it’s not really ”my” character anymore.

And I’m stuck with the voice through the whole game, whether I liked how it sounded or not; and in the latter case, it can have pretty devastating effect to the whole experience.

It changes nothing, the characterization is decided by the dialogues. Even with a non voiced protagonist, you can't decide the tone of the dialogues you want to select. It's a limit in videogames RPG in general.

Dragon Age Inquisition had 2 possible voice options for male and female players. I think for my 800+ hours of player time (yes, I liked the game a lot ^^) I think I tried the alternative voices for both genders once. Honestly it's just not worth it.

It changes nothing, the characterization is decided by the dialogues.

No that's not true. The voice does tremendous amount of characterization. And it's static, it never changes.

Imagine if in Terminator 1 Arnie would speak with the voice of Gilbert Gottfried.

This exemplifies it too:

Even with a non voiced protagonist, you can't decide the tone of the dialogues you want to select. It's a limit in videogames RPG in general.

I can fill in the blanks myself instead of being subjected to someone elses interpretation of the lines.

The voice is precisely what creates the disconnect for me. That even if I am given free reign otherwise and told to make my own character, it is still dictated to me that ”this is who you must play”, the voice forces a characterization. It’s very limiting (not only to me, but also to the creative design choices insofar as dialog options and ways of character expressions go as you can’t have dialog options that would sound out of character) and it’s not really ”my” character anymore.

And I’m stuck with the voice through the whole game, whether I liked how it sounded or not; and in the latter case, it can have pretty devastating effect to the whole experience.

Yes, but I’m not entirely sure why you’re asking me that.

I’m not in favor of multiples, I’m critical of even the one we have.

Even without a voiced protagonist there would still be limitations -- in Dragon Age Origins the main character had no voice because of the different background races you could choose from. And while there were a lot more dialogue options available than in the later games (I would attribute this only a little to the increased cost in voice acting and mostly to Bioware's general disinterest in branching narratives and dialogue options these days) there was still a limit to the number of options the player was presented with, depending on the situation.

I'd much rather have a voiced-protagonist and a reasonable amount of dialog options in as many conversations as possible. That's a big task on its own for a male and female protagonist. That's all any developer can do-- its not like they can climb into every gamer's head and present dozens of options for every conversation. And you want multiple voice options on top of all that? What if they did the impossible and gave three voices for each gender, and you didn't like any of them. Would that still be devastating to you?

You should probably have a good look at Destiny 2 if you want to play a game that has a totally silent protagonist that never has any actual interaction with the rest of the characters (so you can IMAGINE what they sound like! Immersion!) aside from killing things on their orders. Bungie totally made things awkward because even conversations directed toward the Guardian
aren't really written well enough to gloss over the fact that only one party is contributing, and they have your Ghost answer for you all the time.

in Dragon Age Origins the main character had no voice because of the different background races you could choose from

Yes. And it was a better game because of it. I can only imagine the awkwardness if every character, no matter what background, would've sounded the same. I wasn't a huge fan of the game because it was too grindy, but Bioware has declined greatly since. DA:O was the last game of them I bought and played.

I'd much rather have a voiced-protagonist and a reasonable amount of dialog options in as many conversations as possible.

It's your prerogative. And I can understand the appeal. I just don't share it.

You should probably have a good look at Destiny 2

No. I shouldn't. I don't play those kinds of games. At all. I'm choosy like that. There are plenty of good RPG's from the near and far past that have no voiced protagonist, but the problem with those is that I've already played what I consider to be the best of them. Replaying is fun only so far.

(so you can IMAGINE what they sound like! Immersion!)

Snark, I love it! Here's a counter: At least I don't need to have the lines read for me by someone else.

Last edited:
Top Bottom