VSYNC & FPS CAP, Game timing?

+
Hi,

What FPS are you guys playing at? I'm experiencing lots of animation bugs.

Locking the game with vsync at 30fps seems to have remedied much of those issues.

I have yet to turn off all the eye candy and play at higher fps but assume vsync and fps locks do help animation feedback?

I would assume everything is times at 30fps like 99% of all video games.

Hi,

What FPS are you guys playing at? I'm experiencing lots of animation bugs.

Locking the game with vsync at 30fps seems to have remedied much of those issues.

I have yet to turn off all the eye candy and play at higher fps but assume vsync and fps locks do help animation feedback?

I would assume everything is times at 30fps like 99% of all video games.

I have had a theory about this for a long time now: https://forums.cdprojektred.com/index.php?threads/pedro-cheating-wife.11083540/post-12988603

Sppoky FX: Win 7 PC : no issue, the quest worked fine. Just out of curiosity try limiting your FR to as low as you can stand to play it (at least under 40) and see if the quest works using an old save from before you started that quest.

Sorry but this this is just an experiment not really intended as a solution.

Some games have issues with scripts breaking connected to the speed of the systems that are dictated by the frame rate. Mod creators for years were given headaches in Skyrim with scripting their mods because of this. We called it "script lag". No one could understand why mods would break for some players and yet work great for others. Turned out it was FR! The Bethesda DEV that wrote the scripting system eventually told us. It was the frame rate which can be very different for different players.

Lowering the frame rate in some situations to get past game breaking issues has helped me in other games as well.

Thx. I was wokring on the search features and didn't see anything about vsync/fps caps and animation timing.

It's something I've noticed in a few games that helps at times. Playing at 30fps is usually abysmal though. The motion blur filters in 2077 are done well. So it's not completely horrible once you get everything synced and buffered right.

Thx. I was wokring on the search features and didn't see anything about vsync/fps caps and animation timing.

It's something I've noticed in a few games that helps at times. Playing at 30fps is usually abysmal though. The motion blur filters in 2077 are done well. So it's not completely horrible once you get everything synced and buffered right.

It is very ironic, that at first anyway many players were complaining about how they had issues and they should not be getting them because they were NOT using the min specs hardware, He/she was running the game on top of the line this and monster rig that. But then a few of us were all like; "Er, well the game runs fine for me and I only have a GeForce 970..."

I am using win 7 (so no direct x 12) and getting nice enough graphics with my gforce and still have 60 FR with no game breaking issues. I only started getting pop in people once I jacked my slider for population all the way to max. But only if I turn around too quickly.

This is what made me remember Skyrim and the scrip lag. And Fallout 4 would have all kinds of problems with both animations and scripts and physics when the FR was too fast. I had a 120 monitor but had to limit Fallout 4 to 75 FR. We may never know but I would bet a weeks pay at least some of the issues in this game is from their code being run "too fast" sometimes. I am just guessing but there may be snippets of code deep in the engine that rely on a particular speed. Similar to the situation where when you run old games on modern hardware the game runs too fast.

Are you old enough to remember the TURBO button on 486 computers to slow down the PC to play games?

Last edited:
Thx for the great replies.

You can play almost anything at 30fps on most hardware from the last couple of generations. It's only when a new CPU/GPU feature comes out like the software won't run on it like when SSE updates and all that come.

I can play at 60fpwbut the games really nothing without all that FX and the full textures and LOD. Textures are another huge resource hog in this. Playing at medium/low textures improves performance a lot but all the compressed textures were distracting.

I'm usually not all about the eye candy in multiplayer all. For single player I can play at 30fps with all the FX on.

I'd rather chew glass than play a game at 30 FPS, even with G-SYNC and whatnot all figured out for the best smoothness and latency possible.

It would be "black comedy" if CDPR only (had time to?) test the game on low end win 7 PCs thinking this would cover 90% of the Microsoft customers (xbox up to the monster rig PCs) and it turns out that they actually missed issues related to running the game at top Frame Rates.

In Engineering you will find that some countries design things to the most likely scenario while others design to the worse case scenario. It is just a difference in perspective and priorities and resource. Both ways have advantages and disadvantages.

Last edited:
I'd rather chew glass than play a game at 30 FPS, even with G-SYNC and whatnot all figured out for the best smoothness and latency possible.

I know, I don't mind for single player. It gets to me sometime, I turn it up to 60fps turning off all the eye candy. Then I turn it back on and play at 30, back and forth.

Bump Bump Boi's

On another experience:

I was playing Assassins Creed: Valhalla, this is a good example of this FPS/Timing bugs. This game seems to run best at 30fps and was buggying out really bad uncapped.

AMD or Nvidia?

I've been fiddling with the FPS cap lately to see what results in the smoothest experience.

Here's a few things to try on an Nvidia card:

*From the Control Panel, try limiting the FPS for the game at 30 and for the background process at half that.

Low latency mode at either On or Ultra.

Vsync set for Adaptive (Half Refresh Rate).

And disable Vsync and FPS cap from inside the game's settings, see how it behaves.

*Try all of the above but use Vsync set to Fast and see if it makes a difference like that (I experienced a slight judder effect myself but it worked for other games).

* From the Nvidia Control Panel limit your fps to 60 (assuming that's your monitor refresh rate) and background process FPS to half that, set Vsync to Use The 3D Application Setting.

In the game go for Vsync 30 and FPS 30.

* From the Nvidia Control Panel go for 60 FPS cap - half that for background process and set Vsync on Fast.

From the in game settings, disable Vsync and set your fps cap to 30.

That's all I can think of.

For me personally on a 60hz refresh rate I've decided to use the in game settings and set the fps limit to 59/58 with the low latency mode on Ultra.

I'm running I5 10400f, GeForce GTX 1660 TI and 16 GB 2133hz RAM, 1080p 144hz monitor with enabled Gsync/FreeSync.
In game settings everything on max except screen space reflections which are completely off (huge fps drain unfortunately). In comparison in an area where I can get 60 fps with turning on SSR I'm going down to like slightly 30+ fps.
The game runs smoothly with an average of 45-60 fps (sometimes more) depending on location (open/closed) and situation (roaming/fighting).

Overall I'm happy with the results, tho I'd wish I had better GPU (just for Cyberpunk), cause rest games work flawlessly for my needs and expectations.

Last edited:
Top Bottom