Vulkan - new generation cross platform graphics and GPGPU computing API

+
Gnomes per second Vulkan demo by Imagination (contrasting with OpenGL ES):

http://blog.imgtec.com/powervr/gnomes-per-second-in-vulkan-and-opengl-es

---------- Updated at 02:20 PM ----------

Quite a bit of interesting plans for Vulkan were published on Siggraph. Especially exciting is official announcement of WSI support in Wayland.

Presentation from AMD at XDC2015 (about their plans for Vulkan and Linux driver):

They are going to open source their driver - great news!

It sounds like my future GPU can be AMD if they'll manage to bring power consumption down. I'd gladly get rid of Nvidia's blob if AMD card will work well.

Last edited:
Presentation from AMD at XDC2015 (about their plans for Vulkan and Linux driver):

They are going to open source their driver - great news!

It sounds like my future GPU can be AMD if they'll manage to bring power consumption down. I'd gladly get rid of Nvidia's blob if AMD card will work well.

Get the R9 Nano then. ;D

Get the R9 Nano then. ;D

Hm, looks promising: http://www.anandtech.com/show/9621/the-amd-radeon-r9-nano-review
But it's not competing with full blown card, because clock speed is limited there:

Because of the lower 175W TBP the performance of the card is power limited, and average clockspeeds are going to be below 900MHz, some 150MHz less than the unthrottled R9 Fury X. So even though R9 Nano packs a fully enabled chip, it’s not meant to compete with R9 Fury X.

I'd wait until they'll switch the chip to 14nm manufacturing or less which can produce real high end cards with lower power consumption.

Last edited:
Neil Trevett, President of the Khronos Group gives a talk at Linaro Conference: "Open Standards and Open Source Together" (starts at 12:45).

Last edited:
Don't know if it's been posted here, but Valve apparently will support Vulkan only - no plans for DX12.

Don't know if it's been posted here, but Valve apparently will support Vulkan only - no plans for DX12.

Good for them. Why should they bother doing double work if they can avoid it? Eventually I expect more and more developers ending up doing the same. The key thing here are the tools. If Glave debugger and other Vulkan tools will be top notch - developers will start ditching DX more and more. I really hope it will snowball eventually to the point of Apple and Sony having no choice but to support Vulkan as well.

Last edited:
Valve has been looking into Vulkan to implement in Dota 2. I've seen some demo's and it's pretty crazy, the game can run at good fps on potato cpu's like pentiums.

Valve has been looking into Vulkan to implement in Dota 2. I've seen some demo's and it's pretty crazy, the game can run at good fps on potato cpu's like pentiums.

I hope CDPR will develop Vulkan backend for REDengine. Witcher 3 can benefit from performance boost and portability.

Top Bottom