Vulkan - new generation cross platform graphics and GPGPU computing API

+
[h=1]NVIDIA Launches Special Vulkan Drivers For GeForce Graphics Cards – Kepler and Maxwell Fully Supported on Windows / Linux:[/h]http://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-vulkan-drivers-launch/

Don't Fermi cards support compute shaders? I thought it's enough to enable Vulkan. Even Ivy Bridge Intel GPU will support it.

It's probably just Nvidia's decision not to work on those cards. I guess FOSS implementation of Vulkan driver for Nvidia will get to it at some point.

Do you guys think that Vulkan will be sucessful ?
i mean, it's not restriced to one OS, it's backed by multiple manufacturers, including sony, Big companies like Steam and even non-gaming companies like Dassault systemes (which is one of the BIGGEST companies that make CAD software like Catia and Solidworks).

so yeah, things are looking good so far for Vulkan.

Last edited:
@web-head91: depends on what you define as success. Vulkan will surely move forward and will eventually replace OpenGL where it's used now. Will it be able to push aside DirectX and Apple's new Metal NIH lock-in clone? Time will tell. I expect MS and Apple to oppose it, until competition will intensify so much that they'll have no other choice but to get behind it.

Last edited:
@web-head91 : depends on what you define as success. Vulkan will surely move forward and will eventually replace OpenGL where it's used now. Will it be able to push aside DirectX and Apple's new Metal NIH lock-in clone? Time will tell. I expect MS and Apple to oppose it, until competition will intensify so much that they'll have no other choice but to get behind it.
well yes, i was talking about the "API" war, especially against Dx12.
Vulkan could win if they play their cards right.

And it wasn't backed only by those who either were sleeping all this time, or those who are lock-in jerks like MS and Apple :)

---------- Updated at 05:01 PM ----------

Intel is on time: http://blogs.intel.com/evangelists/2016/02/16/intel-open-source-graphics-drivers-now-support-vulkan/

Today I am proud to share that Intel is among a select group of leading graphics platform suppliers with Vulkan* 1.0 drivers certified by the Khronos Group Consortium.

Vulkan is the new generation of completely open standard APIs offering high-efficiency access to graphics and compute on modern GPUs. The Vulkan APIs were defined through collaboration among a wide range of graphics experts, including Intel. This new design provides the direct access to GPU acceleration that application developers have long demanded, and allows them fine-grain control to maximize performance and provide uniform user experience across different GPUs and operating environments.

This is an important milestone for the industry, and Intel is pleased to support this new technology by providing industry-certified drivers for multiple generations of Intel graphics platforms, all readily available to developers and end users. These platforms include 5th Generation Intel Core Processors and 6th Generation Intel Core Processors. Today’s announcement is just the beginning of Intel’s commitment and comprehensive support for Vulkan APIs.

Intel Open Source Graphics Drivers continue to be among the most widely deployed driver stacks in the industry. They are integrated seamlessly into Linux PC client distributions, Google Chromebooks, and Valve’s SteamOS serving tens of millions of PC users. With today’s certifications, the Intel Open Source 3D Graphics Driver adds technology leadership to its impressive capabilities.

---------- Updated at 05:04 PM ----------

AMD is behind however. Their initial release is Windows only: https://community.amd.com/community...eady-for-the-vulkan-graphics-api?sf21004757=1

AMD has been participating in Vulkan’s development since its inception and providing builds of our Vulkan-enabled driver to game developers for many months. As we transition into the public phase, our initial driver release enables Vulkan support for select Radeon™ GPUs on Windows® 7, Windows® 8.1, and Windows® 10. An upcoming release of the amdgpu Linux driver will also feature Vulkan support.

Amdgpu won't come out for a while still. Which probably means that TW3 for Linux might be delayed until that time :(

Last edited:
Today has been a good day. First we get the Vulkan spec, and then Dolphin (which is very CPU bound) releases an experimental DX12 update with performance gains of up to 48%.

The API war has begun.

I hope we get a statement from CDPR on whether we could see Vulkan support in the future.

Last edited:
See https://steamcommunity.com/app/257510/discussions/0/412447331651720139/
Q: Then I can expect some great benchmark results?

A: Not so fast! Sorry. :( This is a beta phase, and there's still work to be done from our (Croteam) side and IHVs from driver side. But please be patient: in time, after optimizations are done, Vulkan will be faster, I'm sure.

Q: Really?

A: Let me put it this way: When The Talos Principle came out, it had a very similar frame rate in DirectX 9 vs DX 11. But then we optimized the game, and the drivers were optimized in the meantime, and now D3D11 is 20-30% faster than D3D9! I have a firm belief that this will also happen to Vulkan vs D3D11, over time However, for now you can actually expect lower frame-rate compared to D3D11. C'mon, it's brand new API, give it some time. :)

The current implementation of Vulkan for TTP is even more like alpha status. No optimisation/adaptation of the advanced features of Vulkan has been done so far.

@Balloers100: Competition means developers can choose what to use on the platform. There is no competition on Xbox (since MS controls it), or OS X for that matter (which is controlled by Apple). All they have is lock-in, not competition.

MetalVK is not developed by Apple - it's a wrapper created by third party developers to provide Vulkan API translation into Metal.

Top Bottom