Vulkan - new generation cross platform graphics and GPGPU computing API

+
@Balloers100 : So how did Bethesda explain your "white beams"?

What Nvidia driver did you use btw? And for the reference, GTX 470 doesn't support Vulkan. There is no need for them to bother with DX. If there are bugs with the drivers, they should report them.
Bethesda Softworks won't explain anything, but they own iD Software since they purchased them in 2009, so you know the forums for all iD Software developed video games are on Bethesda Softworks Bethesda.net website where I can make topics and leave comments for feedback for iD Software to read, which they do sometimes and so do the Bethesda Softworks employees from time to time.

I'm on 368.69 for Nvidia's drivers. I know the GTX 470 doesn't support the Vulkan API, I was saying how for both the Nvidia GTX 470 and AMD Radeon 5570 the main menu freezes badly with OpenGL.

iD Software will have to bother to add support for DIrectX 11 and DirectX 12 if they don't want me to ever leave a negative review about DOOM. As I said I'm not the only PC gamer have problems with Vulkan and or OpenGL.

I will give iD Software six months to see if anything is fixed at all with Vulkan, but as it stands right now it's leaving a horrible experience for me with FPS fluctuations.

While OpenGL gives me anywhere from 60FPS to 120+ FPS. Vulkan is just terrible.

I would try it on Dota 2, but I will never play Free to Play (F2P) video games and I'm reading that Vulkan is worse than OpenGL there as well.

I'm on 368.69 for Nvidia's drivers. I know the GTX 470 doesn't support the Vulkan API, I was saying how for both the Nvidia GTX 470 and AMD Radeon 5570 the main menu freezes badly with OpenGL.

Not sure if 470 supports compute shaders either. It's most likely way below minimum requirements.

---------- Updated at 04:41 PM ----------

I'm on 368.69 for Nvidia's drivers.

Try the later driver - 368.81. Reporting bugs for the outdated one is probably pointless.

Not sure if 470 supports compute shaders either. It's most likely way below minimum requirements.

---------- Updated at 04:41 PM ----------

Try the later driver - 368.81. Reporting bugs for the outdated one is probably pointless.
I try all of them they all don't fix any of the problems.

For now I'm just going to stay with 368.69 for a while.

Not many video games I'm playing right now only The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Rebel Galaxy, and sometimes I play Crysis singleplayer, and Battlefield 4 on and off during the weekends.

That's about all the video games I have been playing in the last five months. I'm waiting for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition to try that out.

I will try in six months from now to see if iD Software fixes any performance issues.

The problems are with Nvidia's Vulkan driver right now. It does some sort of internal synchronization which messes up the frame times and costs both performance and fluidity.

Interview with Tom Olson (Director of Research at ARM and chair of the Vulkan Working Group) and Neil Trevett (Vice President of Mobile Ecosystem at Nvidia and elected President of the Khronos Group) about Vulkan:

http://www.redgamingtech.com/the-vulkan-interview-exclusive-interview-with-the-khronos-group/

Q: Back in Siggraph 2015, Dan Ginsberg was rather famously quoted in saying ” I would argue that there is really not much reason to ever create a DX12 back end for your game”. Would you say this is still largely the case, unless you’re tied into a Microsoft ecosystem (for example, exclusively creating for Xbox)?

Tom: “Dan’s a good buddy and a key member of the Vulkan working group, so I wouldn’t dream of arguing with him . But I’m not a game developer myself, so it isn’t for me to give that kind of advice. I will say, if you care about running on the broadest range of platforms, Vulkan is the obvious place to start. And if your game runs well on Vulkan, porting to DX12 (if you need to) will be pretty easy.”

Last edited:
This is probably something CDPR will disclose once they have something new to show us.

Yes, that's possibly something that can indirectly be deduced, once they'll show something to us or will give interview to the media about their engine (CDPR like talking to the media as we know). But I don't think they should have problems mentioning this point before they can show further progress. Or you see some reasons for them not to say it?

In a world where Valve accidentally showing an erroneous message for a few hours became CDPR having "broken a promise" I can't think of any possible reason why they would WANT to share any information.

If they say they're not doing it, you'll be upset and demand reasons and then get even MORE upset if they choose not to share them. If they say anything remotely positive, it'll lead to articles like that if it never comes to fruition.

So good reasons for not sharing. And against that, the only reason for sharing is "Gilrond is curious about it".

In a world where Valve accidentally showing an erroneous message for a few hours became CDPR having "broken a promise" I can't think of any possible reason why they would WANT to share any information.

We had this discussion already. In order not to be blamed for broken promises or other misgivings, they should to come out and talk to the actual community. If something goes wrong, and they just pretend as if nothing happened (something went wrong with Linux development, and CDPR didn't refute those ads, ever. And those ads happened twice, remember?), things will turn sour, even if it was just a misunderstanding or unintended trouble. Most of that stuff is fixed by explaining what is going on, or communicating changes in plans, setbacks and so on. Current level of their communication (zero), guarantees that if anything will go wrong (and it always can), way more people will be upset than otherwise could be.

---------- Updated at 01:53 AM ----------

. And against that, the only reason for sharing is "Gilrond is curious about it".

That's what developers do, if they are interested in their community. They actually can have a dialog. Pretty good reason, that other studios do understand somehow.

Last edited:
Top Bottom