Walk in Arcades. public districts. Bars.

+
More than that, my dream RPG is one where every building/home/place you see can be visited and not just a window dressing cardboard cutout. I want a living city and a city worth of things to explore and do.

That's a thing I wanted to have for years now. In Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, the city created a great atmosphere but it was pretty empty. Then there were games like GTA 4, huge cities, lots of traffic but still an empty facade. The problem is, that a living city with buildings that are not just facade will cost a lot of resources. Even in the WItcher games, not all buildings were enterable and most of them looked the same. You can do it procedural but this will end up in a boring repeatable result. Maybe a mixture of hand-modeled areas and generated areas would do it. But then there is still the problem that to much space to explore will end up in dull repetition.
If you could enter almost every building, than you'll lose the interest in doing this will decrease. If the worth of what you'll find in one place is the same as of things in (lots of) other places, that everything together is worth almost nothing. If there are a few places where you can find better things than in the others, than you have still the dull work on looking for that.

Best example are the chests in TW3, hundreds of them, almost the same crap in them, but maybe you could find recipes. To get all recipes you have to look in almost all of them.
Another example is vanilla Skyrim. A lot of holes, caves, caverns, etc. But the loot is almost the same, this makes it less and less interesting (the fact that you can craft everything that you can find, increases the problem even more). Of course there are quests in some places and also finding unique stuff (connected with quests) and of course the beauty of the places and their background story.

That's a thing I wanted to have for years now. In Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, the city created a great atmosphere but it was pretty empty. Then there were games like GTA 4, huge cities, lots of traffic but still an empty facade. The problem is, that a living city with buildings that are not just facade will cost a lot of resources. Even in the WItcher games, not all buildings were enterable and most of them looked the same. You can do it procedural but this will end up in a boring repeatable result. Maybe a mixture of hand-modeled areas and generated areas would do it. But then there is still the problem that to much space to explore will end up in dull repetition.
If you could enter almost every building, than you'll lose the interest in doing this will decrease. If the worth of what you'll find in one place is the same as of things in (lots of) other places, that everything together is worth almost nothing. If there are a few places where you can find better things than in the others, than you have still the dull work on looking for that.

Best example are the chests in TW3, hundreds of them, almost the same crap in them, but maybe you could find recipes. To get all recipes you have to look in almost all of them.
Another example is vanilla Skyrim. A lot of holes, caves, caverns, etc. But the loot is almost the same, this makes it less and less interesting (the fact that you can craft everything that you can find, increases the problem even more). Of course there are quests in some places and also finding unique stuff (connected with quests) and of course the beauty of the places and their background story.

This definitely falls under dream game. It just drives me nuts seeing all these cool places in open world games that you cannot actually visit or do. GTA is a good example, just giant cardboard cutouts of everything except specific small areas. I want to hang out, go to clubs/bars, visit stores/mall, if there is a fair I want to visit it, see an interesting NPC, hang out and go to their place to chat/other. Basically I want it to be like a real city, sure there is the missions and quests, but maybe I want my character to chill and actually enjoy things.

This could be somehow an interesting research project. Like No Mans Sky started as a research project. But creating planets/environment is far easier to do with procedural algorithms than a living city. The locations wouldn't be the problems, but NPCs would be.
Even small living cities are problematic as the Witcher games showed us. They still had to create the NPC lifecycles (way and actionpoints) with their tools. Even if you somehow could do this programatically, you need the assets for each unique action/option. So you'll end up in lots of repetition. Same with the dialogues.

There are some pretty interesting techniques about procedural generation of text/dialogues but this is not far developed yet and would be to much overhead for games that don't have a focus on this topic. But it would be really interesting to see all this together.

While hardly spectacular the Sims have shown that fairly reasonable NPC interaction can be done. If you want large numbers of NPCs in a game don't expect anything better then this, and probably less because Sims is focused around NPC interactions.

omnivorously;n9727451 said:
Hey guys! Anyone who was interested in this thread (not a lot) Check it out. Its basically exactly what I was talking about.
"Cyberpunk 2077 Leak Explains How Single Player Connects to Multiplayer" https://gamerant.com/cyberpunk-2077-singleplayer-multiplayer-hub/

Im now incredibly more pumped.

Once again, it's mere speculation. The "leak" is just that - there has been no official confirmation - or even proof I'm aware of - and even if it were true now, there is less than no proof it will be extant two months from now or a year or whatever.

I hope for news too, but let's not get too excited for stuff that is absolutely not confirmed in game.

Guest 4149880

Suhiira;n2379492 said:
Because I sincerely doubt the game will be designed to be multi-player, it's designed to be single-player.
Adding a few multi-player options is not the same as designing the game as multi-player.

I've tried explaining this to people, it just doesn't resonate with them... Multiplayer in an RPG automatically means MMO.

No Title

Attachments

• photo175501.jpg
    photo175501.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 34

Guest 4149880

Dragonbird;n2375102 said:
Totally not interested in the idea of "trade/sell with other players". If the game is designed with that mechanic in mind, then I think it would harm the single-user version, and this should be primarily a single-user game.

The rest of it, fine, but there's no way I would actually make use of it, so I'd hope something like this would be 100% optional and separate from the actual game.

Yeah, I agree. Social hubs would be nothing more then live player auctions and would defeat the purpose of earning anything in the single player game has built for you to play and earn.

I think if they go this route of players trading and selling with each other, they should use an in game exchange center where players can put up their items for sale, and also buy other players items they have set up for sale in real time with a prices for all items being made by the game rather then the player, to keep the economy of the game grounded, and to prevent players getting away with price gouging or selling end game gear for 1 buck for reasons. Also the prices in the exchange centers would be high to encourage people to earn the items in game and to prevent people from only buying everything...

Not quite sure if a system like this would really working in 2077 without overall problems within the community.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dragonbird;n2375102 said:
Totally not interested in the idea of "trade/sell with other players". If the game is designed with that mechanic in mind, then I think it would harm the single-user version, and this should be primarily a single-user game.
Agreed.
What's the point of a single-player game if the items you need/want are rare drops or you need such massive amounts of crafting materials there's no practical way to obtain them except by trading with other players?

That's NOT a single-player game .. that's an MMO with single player content.

I'd really like to trade playable retro arcade games written on tapes with other players, aswell as cards and other collectible crap.

Last edited:
No. No fucking way. No collectible crap in CP2077. This is supposed to be cyberpunk not pokemon.

A roaming hangout would be a good idea. If you don't know where it is, you aren't meant to. Tres cyberpunk.

but the real question on EVERYONE's hearts and minds is... can we visit the Forlorn Hope and have a cast of our beloved moderators as npcs? It would be epic to be planning something with me pal and have Sard serving drinks, While Riven and Rawls sing a duet in the corner (Their group name would be R&R)

BjornTheBandit;n9747361 said:
but the real question on EVERYONE's hearts and minds is... can we visit the Forlorn Hope and have a cast of our beloved moderators as npcs? It would be epic to be planning something with me pal and have Sard serving drinks, While Riven and Rawls sing a duet in the corner (Their group name would be R&R)

No way I'd drink anything Sard served me. And poison would be the least of my worries of what would be in my drink.

4meg;n9748791 said:
No way I'd drink anything Sard served me. And poison would be the least of my worries of what would be in my drink.

Heheheheheheheeeeeheheheheeeheheheheee.

Top Bottom