Wallrunning removed

+
there people go with that "easily" again. how do you know?
that implementation requires placing those walls around the world; rigging that animation; assuring the collision physics doesn't interfere with other models; assuring that skills used during that animation still work; rigging new animations for skills used during the wall running animation; determining how other mechanics affect wall running traversal; and probably a million other things that i know nothing about.

so what can anyone definitively say about the 'ease' of implementing a mechanic like wall running?

It's an easy solution for an otherwise big problem from a level-design perspective, as I have said. Of course it demands effort as everything else in the game, that's why they shouldn't have advertised it to begin with.

Seeing things like these just make me lose faith in the game. I know they said that things are subject to be removed, what you're seeing is not final, etc etc but seeing/hearing about these things already in the game (customizable cars, trains) only for them to be removed really does sting. Just don't show any game mechanics that you doubt won't make it in the final game, otherwise you'll just be disappointing many fans. Really is a damn shame, hopefully they might add these things back in a future DLC.
I know it sucks but then they wouldn't show anything up until a few months before release. Then people would complain that they don't show anything :shrug:

It's hard to predict what might get axed especially when you're going to release the game 2+ years after you first show it off. 2 years is a lot of time and a lot of things can change in that period.

To be honest wall running was a suspicious feature to begin with, and I wasn't surprised at all by its removal.

First of all, the narrator in the 48 min demo especially made it a thing to remind us that everything we will see is subject to change right before the section containing wall running, so they did remind us adequately.

Second, the whole idea of wall running sounds too good to be true to me from the beginning. Imagine in this game where we already have double jump, we can now wall run and jump off the wall. That makes it possible to get up almost anywhere (and you know there are players who will exploit that mechanic), and the amount of collision physics needing to be tested would be astronomical.

Lets be honest. Its not the first time CDPR did that. How many things they promised during development of TW3 and later completely dropped those ideas? Anyone remember what they were saying about in game economy? I member. Same story with CP2077. I understand that during development some ideas are removed, but they are always overhyping their games, trowing those amazing ideas left and right and later never adding them into game. I wish they finally stop doing that.
Maybe they graduated from the Peter Molyneux school of videogame design? :whistle:

Maybe they graduated from the Peter Molyneux school of videogame design? :whistle:

damn.gif

well now that is just a bit far lol

Lets be honest. Its not the first time CDPR did that. How many things they promised during development of TW3 and later completely dropped those ideas? Anyone remember what they were saying about in game economy? I member. Same story with CP2077. I understand that during development some ideas are removed, but they are always overhyping their games, trowing those amazing ideas left and right and later never adding them into game. I wish they finally stop doing that.

Nearly all games ever, by every company ever, you TRY to put everything you can into the game.... some things work, some do not, you don't/won't know for sure till you test and try different ways and approaches. After 5 years that end product is always different than when it began. There are few games that end up as they started on the drawing board or "as advertised" and even some of the top tier most praised games are exactly the same, but people only remember that when its convenient.

Seeing things like these just make me lose faith in the game. I know they said that things are subject to be removed, what you're seeing is not final, etc etc but seeing/hearing about these things already in the game (customizable cars, trains) only for them to be removed really does sting. Just don't show any game mechanics that you doubt won't make it in the final game, otherwise you'll just be disappointing many fans. Really is a damn shame, hopefully they might add these things back in a future DLC.

It's not an easy thing to develop a game with so many layers, they are only human and can only do so much with the time they have, and just because something is planned at the start doesn't mean it will make it due to time constraints or even engine issues. Just how the lifepath, character creation and other quick-hacking have been changed quite dramatically since the original gameplay in the last 3 years, but many things have been improved if you look at video from then and now.

But it's life,all anyone can do is either deal with it because in the grand scheme of things a video game is not that important or go work for a company in game development and see that things are not so cut and dry, easy to be critical on the outside looking in when you aren't part of the group pouring all the hardwork and time into it.

And you can bet they wanted the game to be exactly X,Y,Z from the start or probably even more than originally planned or what is coming now, if you look at various things from way back when...pretty sure there are a quite few systems they have cut and changed or overhauled completely because it was impossible or just not working.
But in order for it to come out at all they needed to drop things that weren't important and wall running isn't that important, cool feature maybe for some.

how many people here have read/played the original pen and paper tabletop rpg Cyberpunk (story was set in 2013) or Cyberpunk 2020?

Imagine looking at the gameplay mechanics in that book...saying, 'i wanna turn this into a computer game' and coming anywhere near close...then be criticised before its released about whether or not 'wall running' will be a traversal feature.
i've been waiting almost my whole adult life for a game of this complexity.

If it's good enough for Mike 'Maximum Mike' Pondsmith, then it's good enough for me, and he's been waiting since 1988!

how many people here have read/played the original pen and paper tabletop rpg Cyberpunk (story was set in 2013) or Cyberpunk 2020?

I did, and on this forum we're quite the number actually.

Imagine looking at the gameplay mechanics in that book...saying, 'i wanna turn this into a computer game' and coming anywhere near close...then be criticised before its released about whether or not 'wall running' will be a traversal feature.
i've been waiting almost my whole adult life for a game of this complexity.

I've been there for two years.
Many have been here for far longer that that.
Wall running is just the cherry of the disappointment cake, there have been numerous talks about numerous things, some of them we (try to) avoid to talk because it leads to an endless number of page of well argumented yet generally already said things.

If it's good enough for Mike 'Maximum Mike' Pondsmith, then it's good enough for me, and he's been waiting since 1988!

Everyone has its own priorities, Mike included.
And it's not like C2077 seemed to be a failure, far from that.
But C2077 is the definition of what an adaptation is, and it is too wildly different from C2020 to act as if they shared the same DNA.

From the tabletop RPG to the video game, there is as much differences as between The Shining book to the Film, as much differences as between an HP Lovecraft novel and on of it's film adaptation, and so on.
They just don't have the same priorities.

and they shouldn't! which is why i find it so strange that people are hung up on a technically very difficult mechanic like wall running when they have told us time and again that no feature is permanent until it it's done. so much 'disappointment' for something that's not done and hasn't really guaranteed anything other than 'we'll do our best.'

and CP2077 is essentially the grandchild of CP2020 (if we consider CPRed set in 2045 to be the intermediary 'parent') so i take a lot of issue saying CP2077 doesn't share the same DNA. that's veritably uncalled for

I did, and on this forum we're quite the number actually.

I've been there for two years.
Many have been here for far longer that that.
Wall running is just the cherry of the disappointment cake, there have been numerous talks about numerous things, some of them we (try to) avoid to talk because it leads to an endless number of page of well argumented yet generally already said things.

Everyone has its own priorities, Mike included.
And it's not like C2077 seemed to be a failure, far from that.
But C2077 is the definition of what an adaptation is, and it is too wildly different from C2020 to act as if they shared the same DNA.

From the tabletop RPG to the video game, there is as much differences as between The Shining book to the Film, as much differences as between an HP Lovecraft novel and on of it's film adaptation, and so on.
Imagine thinking you know more about the DNA of a universe than the man who created it. Yikes.

AFAIK "wall running" was removed, but "hanging from the wall using mantis blades" is still there.

EDIT:
When they are at it, they should also remove the "double-jump" stupidity from the game. This is one of the silliest game mechanics in existence and it should never be used.

and CP2077 is essentially the grandchild of CP2020 (if we consider CPRed set in 2045 to be the intermediary 'parent') so i take a lot of issue saying CP2077 doesn't share the same DNA. that's veritably uncalled for

Mostly not speaking about the fluff, but about the crunch.
For example, C2020 is a game when even as a "team" you have a lots of chances to die in any firefight, C2077 is a game where a lone rookie and his friend can kill a whole boostergang all by themselves, which would previously makes them on par with the most legendary characters.
Post automatically merged:

Imagine thinking you know more about the DNA of a universe than the man who created it. Yikes.

Thanks for twisting what I say.
Fact is C2077 precisely contradict some things previously written by himself on his own book.
That doesn't mean he shouldn't be happy about C2077 keeping true to the general feeling of his creation.

There's not just white and black, there's a whole shade of grey between them.

Last edited:
Mostly not speaking about the fluff, but about the crunch.
For example, C2020 is a game when even as a "team" you have a lots of chances to die in any firefight, C2077 is a game where a lone rookie and his friend can kill a whole boostergang all by themselves, which would previously makes them on par with the most legendary characters.
Post automatically merged:

Thanks for twisting what I say.
Fact is C2077 precisely contradict some things previously written by himself on his own book.
That doesn't mean he shouldn't be happy about C2077 keeping true to the general feeling of his creation.

There's not just white and black, there's a whole shade of grey between them.

The "fluff" you are oh so easily dismissing is the most important thing for Cybepunk. Not some stupid dice mechanics or turn based P-n-P combat. Also, give an example for a contradiction between CP2020 and CP2077.

Frankly, reading your (and two other, very active forum members) arguments, I can see you are angry because you wanted CDPR to make a boat but they've made a train, so you are now arguing how shitty it is at swimming.

EDIT:
When they are at it, they should also remove the "double-jump" stupidity from the game. This is one of the silliest game mechanics in existence and it should never be used.
Here's your double jump:

In the world where people freely replace their body parts, it's not hard to imagine miniature version of it.

On the topic, wall climbing is the first removed feature that feels like a true loss. I thought it presents good verticality gameplay opportunities. But maybe it's removed because of consistency. You can climb walls, but you can't climb any skyscraper? Might feel lame.

Last edited:
Here's your double jump:

In the world where people freely replace their body parts, it's not hard to imagine miniature version of it.

If you tell me how you can build a rocket engine small enough to fit in your legs, with enough trust to lift up 70-120 kilograms of weight, with enough fuel to do that multiple times during combat, then I will consider "double-jump" a possibility.

No matter how arcade or SF the game is - double-jump is still stupid.

If you tell me how you can build a rocket engine small enough to fit in your legs, with enough trust to lift up 70-120 kilograms of weight, with enough fuel to do that multiple times during combat, then I will consider "double-jump" a possibility.

No matter how arcade or SF the game is - double-jump is still stupid.
Right after you tell me how to build a prosthetic implant that has enough power source to rip out metal doors while working on hamburgers.

Right after you tell me how to build a prosthetic implant that has enough power source to rip out metal doors while working on hamburgers.

Definitely possible, if we allow for advancements in metallurgy, composites and power sources. What is impossible is to bend physics to build such a small rocket engine to fit in a leg and have enough thrust to lift you up.

Definitely possible, if we allow for advancements in metallurgy, composites and power sources. What is impossible is to bend physics to build such a small rocket engine to fit in a leg and have enough thrust to lift you up.
That’s probably what people thought when there where Room size computers and now we have one that fits in our pockets and does thousands more than that room sized computer could do. Tech advances very rapidly sometimes, in that world it did so to the point of small rockets with enough thrust to lift you up. :shrug:

Top Bottom