Want to know more about Geralt's voice actor Doug Cockle? Interview time!

+
Want to know more about Geralt's voice actor Doug Cockle? Interview time!

Found this interview with Doug Cockle on youtube, not sure if this has been posted but this has some great stuff especially details about a quest that had to be looked over due to how upsetting it could have been. CDPR really poured a lot of love into this game.

Also no spoilers as far as I know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZfHDe5LsQ4

Last edited:
Great find!

Is it particularly spoiler heavy? I'm not quite finished Witcher 3 so if it is I'll wait til done before watching the interview.

Thanks for this! Was really fun getting to hear about Doug's experiences with recording!

Also... 50:50 for those of you who are interested in the voice actor's choice between Jennefer or Triss. :smiling2:

This was so great! Thank you! He seems like a really cool guy. Interesting to hear that he might not have even played Geralt in The Witcher 2 and 3 if he had not reached out to them at the time he did. I couldn't imagine a different voice after the first game.

Found this interview with Doug Cockle on youtube, not sure if this has been posted but this has some great stuff especially details about a quest that had to be looked over due to how upsetting it could have been. CDPR really poured a lot of love into this game.

Also no spoilers as far as I know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZfHDe5LsQ4

What does he say about this? Could someone write it down or tell me where in the video he explains it. I don't want to watch the whole 2+ hours.

They talked about how mature the witcher games are how dark some of the quests and stories are. Doug then talks about a certain quest that involved children, then further on into the questline, things get pretty grim and uncomfortable. It starts at the 35:17 mark

Doug seems like a cool guy. I'd love to hear him in '77 but I wonder how diverse his range is. Other stuff I've heard him in, he pretty much sounds like Geralt.

Thank you for posting the video. The Dirty Harry voice comment was pretty funny- didn't make the connection before seeing the video. And hes spot on with how emotional the game is. Didn't realize he has such a range in voice acting.

They talked about how mature the witcher games are how dark some of the quests and stories are. Doug then talks about a certain quest that involved children, then further on into the questline, things get pretty grim and uncomfortable. It starts at the 35:17 mark

I bet my dick it was about the sabbath.

Hmm. I missed that part, and I gotta say, Doug and the sound engineer shouldn't be telling CDPR what to do with their stories. And yet here they did. They hire him for VOs, not creative feedback. I'm curious what the offending content was.

Hmm. I missed that part, and I gotta say, Doug and the sound engineer shouldn't be telling CDPR what to do with their stories. And yet here they did. They hire him for VOs, not creative feedback. I'm curious what the offending content was.

Yeah, expecially if their "creative feedback" means to turn the sabbath into a tea party.

---------- Updated at 10:16 PM ----------

I mean, if someone pay you is to do your fucking job as actor, not to be comfortable with what devs wrote. I just dare you to say you are uncomfortable with something to Tarantino or other directors.

Last edited:
When I watch those Disney animation movies and Hollywood actors voice them, I always picture the actor when I hear the character talking it somewhat takes me out of the experience.
I thought if I watch this video I dont want to start picturing a bald guy while Geralt is talking when I play the game, but gotta say won't be having this problem as he sounds absolutely nothing like Geralt.... guess he really is a good "voice actor"

also I had a slight idea they may have copied the guy's face into the game as well, so he literally looks like Geralt in real life, guess not in this case, but developers do that on occasion, for example the bad guy Vas from FarCry 3

Could indeed be the case.Doug said children were involved. The original sabbath mentions a child boy and a kid falling from a tree. (it also mentions ritual suicides and people having sex in different poses)
Shame they sanitized the scene and turned it into a garden party.

Could indeed be the case.Doug said children were involved. The original sabbath mentions a child boy and a kid falling from a tree. (it also mentions ritual suicides and people having sex in different poses)
Shame they sanitized the scene and turned it into a garden party.

Yeah, puritans could have been upset about that scene.

I happened to stumble just now upon this same interview linked in the first post; however, since I'm not entirely sure it received very much notice back in July, I'll link it again. It's a very interesting, sometimes funny -- but rather long (over hour and a half) -- conversation with the English voice of our favourite witcher. Doug Cockle touches on a wide range of topics, offering many insights into voice-acting, gaming, the development of Geralt's character, and the transformation of The Witcher Series over the years:

Last edited:
Top Bottom