Was CP too ambitious?

+
I admit I hate isometric RPGs and it keeps me from trying to play Shadowrun as much as I love cyberpunk. Mostly my problem with Cyberpunk 2077 is it feels too much like Fallout 4.

I love Fallout but it feels like whatever you say or do in the game is immaterial and there's a lot deeper they could have gone with the story and roleplaying.
I know iso rpgs is not everybody cup of tea, nothing wrong i think(although the 3 Shadowruns-Dragonfall for me- are worth a try). Don't know, imho the different ways of implementing RPGs in computer have different strengths/weakness, so its easier to do some stuff in iso than in 1st or 3rd person real time.

I completely agree, I think CDPR wanted to make CP as they showed in that demo, obviously with minor changes here and there, but overall what they told and showed was their original intention. But something went wrong and it was not what we got. And im also fully behind expansions, as long as they make sense from a story perspective.

Maybe CDPR have a cool idea and these will be nothing like we think, time will tell.

I'm looking forward to expansions too and think they could be a big factor in turning the game around if done well enough. I don't look forward to patches as much now because they've focused so much on quest bugs and I like to free roam a lot so some of my issues are elsewhere, the expansions are something I think could be great when they eventually arrive though.

Personally I don't really mind, if the demo was faked or not, or if what they said during all of those interviews weren't possible at the time, but were simply their ambitions for the game. But I do think that it forces them to deliver it then, otherwise I don't think its unfair to say that they were straight up lying or doing some very dodgy marketing. Because it is simply not ok, to sell a product based on wishful thinking.

And even if they deliver it, it was not a good move from them in general, but at least they did make what they said they would. But they shouldn't marketing or hype their products based on something that is not possible at launch.

Yeah I'm not a fan of marketing in general a lot of the time too, one reason why I stayed away from hype a lot before release. I'm sure they're going to be more careful for future games though after this!

Depending on where CDPR takes CP. I think they should have made a video or interview after the gameplay video and all the interviews, as the hype started to built to the extremes, where they came clean or what to say, really making people/fans know which things were actually possible, instead of trying to keep up the illusion and throw more fuel on the fire, so to speak.

That would've helped, I think some of us pointed out that the game couldn't possibly live up to the hype before it came out too but that was often dismissed.

I think they underestimated the task, thinking that they could "easily" pull off a type of GTA, CP kind of game, including all the other genres that are mixed into it.

If they did underestimate it I doubt they'll do it again so easily after the chaos of the last 7 months. They'll also have a foundation in many areas now if they choose to make a sequel(s)/other sci-fi open world game which might help things go a lot more smoothly.

This purpose of this thread is not about whether CP lived up to what it set out to be or not, or what they said or didn't. But more from a technical point of view. I watched this video earlier, which covers a lot of issues with the whole thing, from start to finish:

However Im currently playing some Assassins creed Valhalla, which made me think about it, and even though CP is a FPS. I couldn't help wondering if it was simply to ambitious a project for CDPR?

Because I think most people will agree, that NPC AI is not good, neither is the Traffic AI, Police not so much, even a lot of the effects are not very complete as also pointed out in the video.

But as I was playing AC: Valhalla I couldn't help notice that here you have your ship that you can sail down the rivers etc. You can pretty much mark any place of the map and tell it to sail there automatically and the AI will go there, raise and lower sail as needed. But also you can do the exact same thing with your horse. As most people know that have played any of the newer AC, you can do a lot of crazy stuff in it, especially in Valhalla it seems that they have added a lot of stuff to it.

You obviously don't have as many NPCs gathered in one place as in the CP, but still enough to make the places feel alive and them getting out of your way or them dodging out of your way if you are about to hit them with your horse and then yell stuff at you. And the list goes on, there are a lot of things going on here, that it would take a long time to name them all.

So when I compare them it still makes me wonder, how come CP seem to be so far behind in pretty much all aspects or features, except for the quests.

Lets assume that they had to change the story along the way, even if that were the case, that shouldn't really impact the general traffic AI or NPC AI, police might be a bit harder to program, but still its add an absolutely minimum at the moment. In AC, the NPCs have no issue climbing stairs, ladders or walking around these huge castles.

And even though cyberpunk is a FPS, a lot of games, including AC, sometimes goes into FP when you shoot your bow for instance, which doesn't really seem to change a lot about how the game plays, it just automatically switches between these as you switch weapons. My point being that even though CP is a FPS, a lot of the things are identical compared to if it had been in 3rd person. Exactly as the camera switches to 3rd person when you ride on the bike or car, its not like the whole game changes.

Even in the TW3, if I recall correctly, places like Novigrad had quite a lot of NPCs as well, and NPC reacting somewhat similar as they do in AC if you hit them with your horse and lots of small cool AI features, which again have nothing to do with it being FP.

Also CP is better graphics, but that shouldn't really impact how well the AI is, it might hurt performance graphically, but then again there are options to turn that down as well.

To me, it just seems like it is two completely different teams that have made CP and TW3, because a lot of the experience from TW3 should be possible to transfer to CP, such as the NPC AI, and obviously improve it. But I think CP NPC AI is far worse than in TW3, I at least don't recall having any major issues with them.

So do you think that CP was to ambitious? And if so why? Why do you think there is such a huge difference between the NPC AI in CP compared to TW3? And again, all those things which are not linked to it being a FP game?
So honestly, from what I've been reading, it wasn't that cyberpunk was too ambitious of a game. It was the fact that the management kept wanting to change the rules and adding things that didn't belong every time he saw a new idea and a new video game coming out, he wanted it implemented in cyberpunk which made it a game that has too much going for it in the sense that they tried to implement things that just weren't ready for the game to be released in the time frame

The video is full of trash, and the game was as ambitious as it could deliver. The only issue with the game are the infinite bugs (fixables). The rest are just personal preferences.

Top Bottom