Was I just punished for exploring? Is this right? The Beast of White Orchard quest(mild main quest spoilers).

+
Was I just punished for exploring? Is this right? The Beast of White Orchard quest(mild main quest spoilers).

As I am fully enjoying the game I'm also savouring every second of playing it. This means thoroughly exploring an area, holding off continuing main quests until I think it is time to continue them.

I'm still in White Orchard, and recently I thought that since I had explored everywhere, I could pay the Black Ones a visit. Oh I paid something alright.

I got the The Beast of White Orchard quest and immediately one objective is written in red letters and marked off with a cross. As in I have failed it. The objective is: 'Examine the site of the Nilfgaardian soldiers' death using your Witcher Senses.'

Thing is, I thoroughly examined that site, if that site is where the Nilfgaardian soldiers was attacked by the griffin. I examined it thoroughly. I just happened upon it before I was supposed to. :(

Now, I can't stand these kind of things in games so naturally I looked it up. Supposedly I hadn't been everywhere, as I've 'missed' two people: Tomira the herbalist and Mislav the hunter.

Of course, I didn't just miss them, they weren't actually there to be seen until I accepted the griffin contract. Tomira's house was locked and Mislav was nowhere to be seen. Regarding Tomira I'm doubly sure of this because I at occasion trample around her garden looking for plants.

But Mislav is the problem. I checked the walkthrough and apparently I'm supposed to track him to the forest and kill some wild dogs. Well I didn't track him, I never even saw him, but I remember stumbling upon, and killing, wild dogs.

So what did I really miss? Except talking to Mislav before killing the wild dogs? Because now whenever I try to talk to him I just end up being politely greeted(the bastard
).

Why is this a concern you ask?

Well I'm playing on Death March difficulty, and apparently I missed out on netting 350 xp because of this little hiccup. Then there is the failed objective which I don't consider a failure of mine at all, as I happened upon the Nilfgaardian camp site on my own and thoroughly examined it.

I can't help Mislav with the dogs either, because I probably happened upon them too and have killed them already(EDIT: No I didn't).

While playing on Death March difficulty you net one or two xp for most monsters in White Orchard. Even having killed hundreds of them I'm still level three, and most xp actually comes from completed quests, and not killing random monsters.

So what of it Bellator, what's your beef?

Well I like to explore, and I'm guessing I'm about to enter the big open world. White Orchard is nothing in comparison to that world, and I was just taught that exploring is a bad thing. I mean how many more things will I miss out on just because I enjoy exploring and happen upon locations before I'm 'supposed' to happen upon them? :(

Solution: I guess in an ideal game I would have gotten to talk to Mislav anyway, and when he asks about killing the wild dogs I can state that I've already killed them for him, earning the xp.

Because missing any slayed Nilfgaardians' campsite I did not.

Just some feedback for you devs. If you want it is another question. :happy:

I'm linking @Marcin Momot to this since he is always kind enough to answer my questions and concerns.

Thank you for your time.

Last edited:
well you didn't miss out on much except that certain objective (though yeah there was some interesting dialog in his story)

The other objective in the same quest can also be "missed" if you get the ingredient on your own

Wouldn't call it "being punished" though, you're just solving the quest in a slightly different way

Yeah, there's some interesting and tragic stuff with his backstory you get from the dialogue.

Don't you get XP on completing the quest, and not completing objectives, right? I failed two objectives on a quest, but still completed the quest and got XP upon completing the quest. I'm not seeing where the punishment is coming, though.

This exact quest and problem was recently brought up in another thread as well. Why I agree this is a problem especially on Death March where Xp is precious. These sort of things happen in open world games especially ones so vast and with limited loading screens.

That said I find this happens less often in Velen and Novigrad. Most of the time you do actually get rewarded XP retroactively (possibly not the full amount seeing as there is varying degrees of xp based on choices). Or get filled in on about the back story of an item you previously picked up. Not always the case but it has happened to me.

I wouldn't let this deter you from exploration. It's part of the fun (for me at least) to stumble upon something with no previous knowledge. Although I do despise seeing the red Quest Failed text.

Yeah, there's some interesting and tragic stuff with his backstory you get from the dialogue.

Don't you get XP on completing the quest, and not completing objectives, right?

It's an assumption because A: I still have a red marked objective in my quest list and B I did not net 350 points from killing any wild dogs.

This is the guide where I got the notion that I missed out on 350 xp:

http://guides.gamepressure.com/thewitcher3/guide.asp?ID=30669

If you are right however I just missed out on story and will have that red marked quest even though I haven't failed the objective. It's an eyesore I tell you.

As I am fully enjoying the game I'm also savouring every second of playing it. This means thoroughly exploring an area, holding off continuing main quests until I think it is time to continue them.

I'm still in White Orchard, and recently I thought that since I had explored everywhere, I could pay the Black Ones a visit. Oh I paid something alright.

I got the The Beast of White Orchard quest and immediately one objective is written in red letters and marked off with a cross. As in I have failed it. The objective is: 'Examine the site of the Nilfgaardian soldiers' death using your Witcher Senses.'

Thing is, I thoroughly examined that site, if that site is where the Nilfgaardian soldiers was attacked by the griffin. I examined it thoroughly. I just happened upon it before I was supposed to. :(

Now, I can't stand these kind of things in games so naturally I looked it up. Supposedly I hadn't been everywhere, as I've 'missed' two people: Tomira the herbalist and Mislav the hunter.

Of course, I didn't just miss them, they weren't actually there to be seen until I accepted the griffin contract. Tomira's house was locked and Mislav was nowhere to be seen. Regarding Tomira I'm doubly sure of this because I at occasion trample around her garden looking for plants.

But Mislav is the problem. I checked the walkthrough and apparently I'm supposed to track him to the forest and kill some wild dogs. Well I didn't track him, I never even saw him, but I remember stumbling upon, and killing, wild dogs.

So what did I really miss? Except talking to Mislav before killing the wild dogs? Because now whenever I try to talk to him I just end up being politely greeted(the bastard
).

Why is this a concern you ask?

Well I'm playing on Death March difficulty, and apparently I missed out on netting 350 xp because of this little hiccup. Then there is the failed objective which I don't consider a failure of mine at all, as I happened upon the Nilfgaardian camp site on my own and thoroughly examined it.

I can't help Mislav with the dogs either, because I probably happened upon them too and have killed them already.

While playing on Death March difficulty you net one or two xp for most monsters in White Orchard. Even having killed hundreds of them I'm still level three, and most xp actually comes from completed quests, and not killing random monsters.

So what of it Bellator, what's your beef?

Well I like to explore, and I'm guessing I'm about to enter the big open world. White Orchard is nothing in comparison to that world, and I was just taught that exploring is a bad thing. I mean how many more things will I miss out on just because I enjoy exploring and happen upon locations before I'm 'supposed' to happen upon them? :(

Solution: I guess in an ideal game I would have gotten to talk to Mislav anyway, and when he asks about killing the wild dogs I can state that I've already killed them for him, earning the xp.

Because missing any slayed Nilfgaardians' campsite I did not.

Just some feedback for you devs. If you want it is another question. :happy:

I'm linking @Marcin Momot to this since he is always kind enough to answer my questions and concerns.

Thank you for your time.

Hi,
It's wasn't supposed to be punishing you at all - finding the nest on your own in open world was supposed to be alternate but still allowed way of playing out the quest. Talking to Mislav and asking him to lead you to the nest/attack site while you already found it on your own wouldn't make much sense (although you do lose opportunity to learn more about Mislav).

I will investigate if you get less XP by playing that way (which should not be the case, and if it is it's a bug and it will be fixed).

Hi,
It's wasn't supposed to be punishing you at all - finding the nest on your own in open world was supposed to be alternate but still allowed way of playing out the quest. Talking to Mislav and asking him to lead you to the nest/attack site while you already found it on your own wouldn't make much sense (although you do lose opportunity to learn more about Mislav).

I will investigate if you get less XP by playing that way (which should not be the case, and if it is it's a bug and it will be fixed).

This is definitely a solid answer and kind of how I thought as well. I managed to do things on my own as the OP did and thought I still received all my XP at the end of quest. I don't see why this would ever be punished in an open world game.

Hi,

Thank you for your reply and for looking into this. You must understand why this rubs me the wrong way. Logically I understand I couldn't be taken to a griffin nest I've already discovered on my own, but missing out on Mislav's story and possibly xp makes me wary of exploring. Henceforth maybe I should just rush through the main quests from the get go so I don't miss out on these things?

Now I have a difficult choice to make: shall I restart the entire game, and reload an early save, or just let bygones be bygones.

Oh well.

I'm also playing On death March and have missed this objective too. How is xp more precious on this level than others?

It would have been nice to at least get the chance to talk to mislav to hear the backstory.

I've decided and I'm starting over. Thankfully I am diligent at saving my game so I reloaded right before I discovered the griffin nest.

That's a save from a couple of days back, sure, but I'm not doing it for the xp anymore. I'm doing it because after learning Mislav's sad story and why mentioning
Florian had such a devastating impact that it ended up creating a noonwraith

I rather replay it just to get some context. And obviously, the objective will at least not be marked as a failure.

After White Orchard I'm not doing this again though. Let's see if exploring the world will result in more situations like this one.

I explore thoroughly and haven't lost a quest because of it yet!
I have dropped one quest which I thought I could ride off from and come back to; turned out I couldn't and failed the quest! Lol

I have the exact same problem, I just completed the quest and I did not receive the 350 XP (for killing the dogs) in the end of it. So yes it's clearly a bug.

I've decided and I'm starting over. Thankfully I am diligent at saving my game so I reloaded right before I discovered the griffin nest.

That's a save from a couple of days back, sure, but I'm not doing it for the xp anymore. I'm doing it because after learning Mislav's sad story and why mentioning
Florian had such a devastating impact that it ended up creating a noonwraith

I rather replay it just to get some context. And obviously, the objective will at least not be marked as a failure.

After White Orchard I'm not doing this again though. Let's see if exploring the world will result in more situations like this one.

This is definitely the way to play the first time. Just explore let things happen naturally. Being locked out of actual interesting context or XP happens rarely out in Velen/Novigrad if it does its not something nearly as interesting as Mislavs story.

That being said I bet I'm safe in assuming your the type of person who enjoys playing RPGs more then once. As long as you have a decent memory for quests this issue will be non existent on a second time through.

Even if you do miss out on some XP. It will in the end only a mount to maybe ending at 35 instead of 37 etc. Even on death march where being closer leveled to enemies helps this isn't essential.

What I don't understand is, why is the XP upped just for killing the dogs? Wouldn't the same XP you net for killing wild dogs outside of that objective hold true while in it? 350 XP for a pack of wild dogs just sounds like too much XP, even on lower difficulties.

And, like I said, you're supposed to get XP at the end of a quest. I've never gotten XP for completing objectives, other than whatever I get for combat or maybe using Axii and getting extra dialogue. Helluva bug, which I guess is something of an exploit. That's alot of XP for killing a pack of wild dogs.

This is definitely the way to play the first time. Just explore let things happen naturally. Being locked out of actual interesting context or XP happens rarely out in Velen/Novigrad if it does its not something nearly as interesting as Mislavs story.

Aye, Mislav's story gave some serious context regarding Florian(did you see what was written on his grave for instance?) and other villagers sad stories. I'm glad I replayed it. But I did it because the area isn't as vast compared to the rest of the world. I could afford to retrace my steps. It was a pain but I did it. Out in the rest of the world though, I'll leave it alone. I just hate these kind of things, and it makes me think of Fallout 3(same kind of punishment there) but I won't rant about that again.

That being said I bet I'm safe in assuming your the type of person who enjoys playing RPGs more then once. As long as you have a decent memory for quests this issue will be non existent on a second time through.

Oh I am, I am. I have, I have. :rolleyes:

Even if you do miss out on some XP. It will in the end only a mount to maybe ending at 35 instead of 37 etc. Even on death march where being closer leveled to enemies helps this isn't essential.

In all fairness though, 350 XP is quite a lot on Death March. I am now finished with all sidequests and have picked up most things and visited all places. All there is left to do is battling the griffin once more, but I suspect it will be an easier fight this time. See Mislav's quest and the XP connected to it has made me level 3, soon to be level 4. Very soon. As in a few hundred XP points soon. I don't think I was that close to being level 4 even after griffin fight in my previous play, before I reloaded.

I have yet to spend my eight ability points(soon to be nine) so that is of no consequence, but higher level means being able to wear better equipment and I have my eyes on the Temerian Armour. :happy:

What I don't understand is, why is the XP upped just for killing the dogs? Wouldn't the same XP you net for killing wild dogs outside of that objective hold true while in it? 350 XP for a pack of wild dogs just sounds like too much XP, even on lower difficulties.

No, I probably never netted that XP as I didn't do the actual quest connected to Mislav. What I killed was just some random wild dogs and suffice to say 5x2 XP isn't anywhere near 350 XP.

And, like I said, you're supposed to get XP at the end of a quest. I've never gotten XP for completing objectives, other than whatever I get for combat or maybe using Axii and getting extra dialogue. Helluva bug, which I guess is something of an exploit. That's alot of XP for killing a pack of wild dogs.

This is interesting, but again, I probably never got that XP. Call Mislav's story an objective or a quest but Mislav is connected to the Beast of White Orchard quest.

There is no bug(well it kind of is but not in the way you mean), only me missing out because I had been exploring too much. I did kill random wild dogs and since I had only seen this type of enemies once I thought them connected to the quest. Now I know that wild dogs can spawn just as wolves.

The objective I had a problem with(it being marked as failed) was just as I've written in previous posts: it said that I had missed to use Witcher Senses on site where griffin attacked the Nilfgaardians. That is utter bu****it. Because even though I had done everything on that site, I had missed to do the Mislav quest leading up to that site, after which you net 350 XP (before investigating site) as well as learning his story, and killing a few wild dogs.

Again, I ventured out on my own, found site on my own, forfeiting Mislav's 350 XP quest(or whatever you call it) as it is tied in with Beast of White Orchard quest.

If anything devs maybe can separate the quests(as in remove it from being connected as an objective to investigating site), or add a text that you found the site on your own. And perhaps some small XP reward for exploring. Still you miss out on Mislav's great story. Either way the objective should not be marked red though. Not at all, and especially not with that text(see first post). Especially since I did everything I could on site.

But no matter, all is good now, I have done Mislav's quest and objectives in my quest log is all:

Last edited:
It would be great if you still could visit Mislav in his hut (or better, finding it empty when happening upon it while exploring, just like you would when strictly following the quest), no matter if the griffin attack site has already been found or not.
Following Mislav's trail, helping him fight the wild dogs and hearing his story is a neat little mini quest in itself. Why not just deactivate the dialogue option for the slain Nilfgaardians? My two cents ;).

Same thing happened to me. Sadly I didn't have save before exploring the nest and that red cross in my journal just broke the game the way I'm playing it. Don't get me wrong I love the game and I even playing it on hardest difficulty which except Batman and Mass Effect series is a thing I don't normaly do.

Will this get fixed on the upcoming 1.05 patch? Because i might just restart the entire thing because of this. I did everything there was to do before going to grab that quest and the first quest i did is the devil in the well or whatever which is close to the point where the dead soldiers are, so it probably ruined this quest right there.

Top Bottom