Was it the Shareholders?

+
What do you think, did any of this have anything do with the IPO?
Nah. I think the game's story and general designs are basically what they've been saying since 2018. Several small things have changed, but the broad brushes look the same to me.

Thing is it could just be a case that the game we got is like this because that's all they could stuff into the OG consoles and still have them run it, the tech in those consoles wasn't even cutting edge when they released 7 years ago and if like people are saying CDPR built the game on PC, when they came to try and make the build work on OG consoles it just wasn't going to work with those limitations so a lot of stuff had to be cut down or scrapped to enable them to release the game on all platforms on the same date.

It's quite impossible to tell at this point. Only CDPR could clear things up on that front.

Unfortunately, the argument doesn't hold up to observation. Plenty of other games have implemented some of the basic systems that people are asking for on consoles. Had the system been simplified for consoles, sure, you might have a point. Completely scrapped? I don't believe that personally.

I don't necessarily think it would've been that bad if the PC version had features that weren't in the other versions. It already happens with things like mods where PC games have a more robust mod community or mods in general. Also how games on PC support keyboard and mouse. Or better graphics overall.

As for the topic on shareholders I thought I read that the stock price was tanking after all the bad news regarding the game. Shareholders probably weren't too happy about that.

Mods are user made though. If any company releases an incomplete game on consoles, it would be even worse. Rightfully so. Keyboard and mouse is just the basic peripherals for PC so... not really a point. Better graphics, that's just always been the case with PC and I think a better description would be "adjustable graphics" because of the various hardware available and general upgradeability of PCs. Again, not really a point.

If that’s the case, how come other groundbreaking games like FF7R and GoT worked so well on PS4? How come we have so many great games that came out this year, but for some reason the moment it hits Dec 10, suddenly the PS4 is relegated to basically “small indie company” tier?

The argument that is being perpetuated is basically “Please understand, Sony is a small indie company and the PS4 is literally a cardboard box with a microwave’s data chip inside it, you literally can’t run Pong on it with any kind of decent frame rate”

Groundbreaking games have been released on it this year. Really astounding games that put CP2077 to shame. And somehow, this game is just “too damn powerful” to run on “Sony’s garbage tier equipment that barely even worked back when it was made” What the ever living hell is this argument anyway? Have you not played FF7R or GoT? Have you not played Star Wars Battlefront 2? (Sure, shitty practices, but the game seemed to handle pretty well and looked decent)
Mate I'm not slagging off the OG consoles or blaming them for this, all I'm saying is IF this game was developed on PC and then ported to console then PERHAPS it was a much harder than anticipated task because this game has such a complex environment(Night City)and huge amount of systems in play, AI pedestrians and traffic, shooting, looting, skill trees etc etc so they had to cut stuff.
Not the consoles fault, I have a PS4 Pro and have many happy hours logged playing great games on it but most of those games were developed and built with the consoles as the sole focus then ported to PC not the other way around.
At the end of the day nobody except the devs and management know the real reason and all this is just speculation and people's opinions, mine included.

Mate I'm not slagging off the OG consoles or blaming them for this, all I'm saying is IF this game was developed on PC and then ported to console then PERHAPS it was a much harder than anticipated task because this game has such a complex environment(Night City)and huge amount of systems in play, AI pedestrians and traffic, shooting, looting, skill trees etc etc so they had to cut stuff.
Not the consoles fault, I have a PS4 Pro and have many happy hours logged playing great games on it but most of those games were developed and built with the consoles as the sole focus then ported to PC not the other way around.
At the end of the day nobody except the devs and management know the real reason and all this is just speculation and people's opinions, mine included.

Alright, maybe I misunderstood you. I apologise in that case. So many people just absolutely discounting the PS4 and XBONE lately it’s just mind boggling.

And I suppose, especially since even the highest tier gaming rigs seem to run into issues here and there. But I firmly believe that’s only an optimisation issue.

For example, I have a PC I bought off newegg back in 2015. It’s nothing too special, but runs XIV decently—some occasions it drops framerate for extended periods of time, but I know typically it’s background processes like Google Chrome somehow taking up 20 something instances and with no explanation for it—but regardless of that, it can run something like Star Citizen pretty damn well. Some frame rate issues in highly populated areas but that’s about it. Runs decently, and that’s because of how much time CIG takes to optimise.

They release some stuff, bug fix, optimise, bug fix, then rinse and repeat, and it turns out a slowly developed but generally solid build.

Now, Star Citizen is this far eternally in alpha, but I could argue world-wise, it’s got so much more than CP. Story wise, I mean, it’s a sandbox MMO, so I don’t expect much.

I guess SC isn’t the BEST comparison, considering SC is HUGE, but it’s the best thing I can compare it to, right now.

But yeah, again, sorry if I misunderstood. Tons of people are making that argument though, and it just irritates me.

I think the world fell into a pandemic that affected all aspects of the economy world wide. I think many businesses were forced to batten down or outright close their doors because of it. I think the ripples from that went out, world-wide, and have been more impactful than anyone alive now even realizes...not yet.

I think CDPR set out to build one of the most ambitious games ever attempted. I think they devoted hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of man hours to achieving it. I think they dedicated themselves to it over at least 7 years.

I think they hit hurdles that no one else had ever hit before, since no one else had ever attempted this sort of thing. I think they were forced to innovate on the fly, despite having no analog for where they would end up. I think they struggled non-stop to bring their vision into focus and deliver.

THEN...that global pandemic I mention above hit.

I think CDPR did whatever could be done to continue the project and strive toward their goals. I think they were forced to balance their hopes and dreams against the reality of the world's condition. I think they pulled out the stops to ensure they reached the goal, even if stumbling-down exhausted at the end.

I think they got there. Totally not perfect, but the game is out. And it's playable. And it's pretty, damn cool.

I think CDPR is responsible for one of the most celebrated and awarded games of all time. I think they know what it is to commit to the long haul. And I think they're going to get there with Cyberpunk, too.

Despite everything.

(If only the world would just cooperate and give us what we want!)

And it's playable.

Everything you said made sense until you reached that point. Then it started making sense again.

Let me clarify. I love CDPR for The Witcher series and their dedication to the long haul on every single one of their game so far and I fully believe they'll do the same with CP2077.

Yet.

There is absolutely no excuse for the state the game was released in on consoles. It is not playable. It is not cool and, in all honesty, feels pretty scummy after statements that indicated it ran well on last gen.

I'm saying that as a PC player with very few issues (still disappointed about the state of the game compared to what CDPR's marketing sold) who has only seen how it plays on last gen consoles.

Alright, maybe I misunderstood you. I apologise in that case. So many people just absolutely discounting the PS4 and XBONE lately it’s just mind boggling.

And I suppose, especially since even the highest tier gaming rigs seem to run into issues here and there. But I firmly believe that’s only an optimisation issue.

For example, I have a PC I bought off newegg back in 2015. It’s nothing too special, but runs XIV decently—some occasions it drops framerate for extended periods of time, but I know typically it’s background processes like Google Chrome somehow taking up 20 something instances and with no explanation for it—but regardless of that, it can run something like Star Citizen pretty damn well. Some frame rate issues in highly populated areas but that’s about it. Runs decently, and that’s because of how much time CIG takes to optimise.

They release some stuff, bug fix, optimise, bug fix, then rinse and repeat, and it turns out a slowly developed but generally solid build.

Now, Star Citizen is this far eternally in alpha, but I could argue world-wise, it’s got so much more than CP. Story wise, I mean, it’s a sandbox MMO, so I don’t expect much.

I guess SC isn’t the BEST comparison, considering SC is HUGE, but it’s the best thing I can compare it to, right now.

But yeah, again, sorry if I misunderstood. Tons of people are making that argument though, and it just irritates me.
I hear ya, I'm running this on my PC as I wanted the best experience possible for this game and it's built specifically for gaming and handles the game well but I was intending to also get it for the pro so I could play on the big screen TV with mates round but that's on hold till we see how the updates go.
Don't think you're alone in being irritated by the "PC Master Race" people blaming consoles for some games shortcomings, it doesn't help in any way and just creates more toxic behavior on forums etc. We're all gamers and are passionate about it but what platform you game on makes no difference, we all just want to play a great game that lives up to its potential and provides us with those gaming moments of brilliance we all crave. :cool:

I think the world fell into a pandemic that affected all aspects of the economy world wide. I think many businesses were forced to batten down or outright close their doors because of it. I think the ripples from that went out, world-wide, and have been more impactful than anyone alive now even realizes...not yet.

I think CDPR set out to build one of the most ambitious games ever attempted. I think they devoted hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of man hours to achieving it. I think they dedicated themselves to it over at least 7 years.

I think they hit hurdles that no one else had ever hit before, since no one else had ever attempted this sort of thing. I think they were forced to innovate on the fly, despite having no analog for where they would end up. I think they struggled non-stop to bring their vision into focus and deliver.

THEN...that global pandemic I mention above hit.

I think CDPR did whatever could be done to continue the project and strive toward their goals. I think they were forced to balance their hopes and dreams against the reality of the world's condition. I think they pulled out the stops to ensure they reached the goal, even if stumbling-down exhausted at the end.

I think they got there. Totally not perfect, but the game is out. And it's playable. And it's pretty, damn cool.

I think CDPR is responsible for one of the most celebrated and awarded games of all time. I think they know what it is to commit to the long haul. And I think they're going to get there with Cyberpunk, too.

Despite everything.

(If only the world would just cooperate and give us what we want!)

Despite my disappointment right now, that’s the only thing that keeps my faith in them, for now—the history they have with TW3, the possibility that they might fix everything.

Maybe they do that—and I hope they do—but maybe they don’t, and that would do damage to them I don’t think they’d want, considering that’s basically the thing that keeps them on top. But on the other hand, would the shareholders want them spending more time and resources on a game to make it more robust, make it exactly as marketed, after its had its bugfixes and optimisation patches? I don’t know. I hope they would.

I haven’t had much time with Cyberpunk, but I love it and I want it to be the best it can be—not “just enough”, you know?
Post automatically merged:

Everything you said made sense until you reached that point. Then it started making sense again.

Let me clarify. I love CDPR for The Witcher series and their dedication to the long haul on every single one of their game so far and I fully believe they'll do the same with CP2077.

Yet.

There is absolutely no excuse for the state the game was released in on consoles. It is not playable. It is not cool and, in all honesty, feels pretty scummy after statements that indicated it ran well on last gen.

I'm saying that as a PC player with very few issues (still disappointed about the state of the game compared to what CDPR's marketing sold) who has only seen how it plays on last gen consoles.

Especially following all the dunking they did on other companies.
Post automatically merged:

I hear ya, I'm running this on my PC as I wanted the best experience possible for this game and it's built specifically for gaming and handles the game well but I was intending to also get it for the pro so I could play on the big screen TV with mates round but that's on hold till we see how the updates go.
Don't think you're alone in being irritated by the "PC Master Race" people blaming consoles for some games shortcomings, it doesn't help in any way and just creates more toxic behavior on forums etc. We're all gamers and are passionate about it but what platform you game on makes no difference, we all just want to play a great game that lives up to its potential and provides us with those gaming moments of brilliance we all crave. :cool:

Super wholesome. You’re a legend, friend. Keep up the good work.

Why would a company release a product if they know it has issues for some consumers?
I've been in software development for over 20 years (not gaming software but enterprise business software), this situation occurs all the time. I've worked for start-ups, public and private companies of all sizes. Product gets released with known bugs, with cut-back features and reduced scope, etc., for a number of reasons. My guess (and it is only a guess) is that this was released for the reason of revenue recognition for fiscal year 2020. Public companies have different accounting rules than privately-held companies. Despite the huge number of purchased pre-orders, CDPR can not recognize all that revenue in 2020 unless the product it's tied to is actually released and delivered into customer hands in 2020.
That's my theory.

Yeah i mean even i can see that and i am not an IT technician

They had their last big game in 2015. After half a decade of living off of it, they needed a cash injection.

CDPR has a fiduciary duty to see that shareholders get a return on their investment, but being a shareholder doesn't convey upon anyone the power to give orders to the company they've bought shares in.

That said, once they went public, CDPR ended up with a board of directors that can give them orders to a point. When they were privately held, they answered to themselves, and didn't have to worry about corporate execs being fired. That all changed with the IPO.

To say the shareholders are at fault is something of a stretch, and not entirely accurate. They may have some large scale investors with deep pockets that threatened to pull their money back out, which may have had some influence on things, but your run of the mill investor just doesn't have that sort of power.

If there were enough complaints to the board by enough investors, the board could have gotten involved and meddled in things. You don't have to be knowledgeable about a given industry to sit on the board of a company. All it takes is a nomination and enough votes to secure a seat. In some cases, a large enough investor may be granted the right to pick one or more members, and that investor would have a fair amount of influence through those members.

Everyone running around screaming 'it was the investors! It was the investors!' is like Chicken Little running around telling everyone the sky is falling. There's a small amount of truth there, but for the most part it's just hysteria and confusion about something they know very little about.

CDPR has a fiduciary duty to see that shareholders get a return on their investment, but being a shareholder doesn't convey upon anyone the power to give orders to the company they've bought shares in.

That said, once they went public, CDPR ended up with a board of directors that can give them orders to a point. When they were privately held, they answered to themselves, and didn't have to worry about corporate execs being fired. That all changed with the IPO.

To say the shareholders are at fault is something of a stretch, and not entirely accurate. They may have some large scale investors with deep pockets that threatened to pull their money back out, which may have had some influence on things, but your run of the mill investor just doesn't have that sort of power.

If there were enough complaints to the board by enough investors, the board could have gotten involved and meddled in things. You don't have to be knowledgeable about a given industry to sit on the board of a company. All it takes is a nomination and enough votes to secure a seat. In some cases, a large enough investor may be granted the right to pick one or more members, and that investor would have a fair amount of influence through those members.

Everyone running around screaming 'it was the investors! It was the investors!' is like Chicken Little running around telling everyone the sky is falling. There's a small amount of truth there, but for the most part it's just hysteria and confusion about something they know very little about.
This guy Corpo's 10/10 :ok:

CDPR went public on 16th March 2018, half way through the 4 year development cycle.

Is this why CDPR went from "when its ready" to, "release unfinished game on as many platforms as possible"?

I'm still happy with the game (See last thread: Can't understand all the negativity (PC) ). It's not what I was expecting, and there are definitely things that need to be worked on - but I still think all the foundations are there for the game we all expected with time and updates.

I just wonder if CDPR being publicly listed is what caused this pretty bad launch? No matter how optimistic and positive I am about the game, there has doubtlessly been considerable damage to CDPR's reputation and consumer good-will in the industry. It does seem incredibly short sighted to throw all that away, and completely out of character for CDPR. CDPR are historically a company by gamers for gamers and I wonder if allowing outside influences for money has caused a shift in priorities outside of the actual developers control.

Companies ALWAYS turn to garbage when they go public.

CDPR went public on 16th March 2018, half way through the 4 year development cycle.

Is this why CDPR went from "when its ready" to, "release unfinished game on as many platforms as possible"?

I'm still happy with the game (See last thread: Can't understand all the negativity (PC) ). It's not what I was expecting, and there are definitely things that need to be worked on - but I still think all the foundations are there for the game we all expected with time and updates.

I just wonder if CDPR being publicly listed is what caused this pretty bad launch? No matter how optimistic and positive I am about the game, there has doubtlessly been considerable damage to CDPR's reputation and consumer good-will in the industry. It does seem incredibly short sighted to throw all that away, and completely out of character for CDPR. CDPR are historically a company by gamers for gamers and I wonder if allowing outside influences for money has caused a shift in priorities outside of the actual developers control.

I don't think it's the shareholders as such. Because they are not interested in a game releasing like this, they want to see 10/10 everywhere and not people wanting refunds, as that means they lose money and as we have seen the stock have dropped quite a lot the last week. Even if many of the investors might not know the gaming industry, they do know the value of a good product vs a bad one.

So indirectly CDPR might have thought about the shareholders, just as they thought about the players, had they chosen to delay the game once again. Was it last time they delayed it, where some people threaten their employers? So people got really pissed of there as well, and obviously the stock valued declined as a result as well. So I think they wanted to avoid that, but also Christmas is near, and if im not mistaken this period is one of the best month for releasing games, so I think CDPR gambled, they clearly wanted the game released now, even though they knew the state of it. But I think they hoped that the responds wouldn't be as bad is it is. That people would accept it, because it was so hyped and CDPR in general had a good reputation amongst players. And maybe they would get a bit of backlash for the bugs, but eventually that the positive feedback would overshadow the bad one.

And that they ultimately could release the game in december to maximize sales.

I have a hard time seeing what other explanation there could be, especially because they released the last gen versions as well. And they must have known that they weren't running any good in its current state. I don't believe for a second that they didn't knew and also why there have been no demonstration of how it ran on them before release.

No I am a shareholder, and trust me hell no.

Top Bottom