Was the first person view an attempt at cutting corners?

+
Saw this post on Reddit earlier today https://www.reddit.com/r/cyberpunkgame/comments/ks8abm
Can't test it myself as i have uninstalled the game until they patch it and release all the paid DLC's in a bundle, but apparently the animation during carrying an enemy body is pretty disturbing.

I think this is proof that the first person view was an attempt at cutting corners. When you look at your character through first person, you don't notice as many animations/little quirks/details as in 3rd person or isometric. With first person, you are free to block the player's view from what they aren't supposed to see (characters disappearing as soon as they are off screen, characters appearing out of nowhere when they are entering the screen, locations and objects not rendering when you are supposed not to see them, etc.). in other words, doing everything they can to avoid spending additional work making animations and creating locations.

In this particular example, if such an animation was seen within a third person view game, it would be immediately ridiculed. But in first person? Most people won't pay attention until someone points it out.

I mean, they claimed they made 3rd person view for immersion, but somehow Rockstar made both first and third person view in a more immersive game (Red Dead Redemption 2) so that's no excuse.

EDIT: Sorry in the last paragraph i meant FIRST person view

Last edited:
I remember when a Dev got testy in a Q&A a couple years ago about why the game is FPP, the dev said its all about Immersion and brought up like how going to the ripper doc, you get too see blah blah, which is the immersion. But seems like that took all the immersive animations out of the game outside of some cutscenes. Honestly once the novelty of NIght City wears off, there is no immersion in this game and if the game was TPP the bugs and glitches wouldn't be half as bad.

It was definitely cutting corners, but they used the excuse of immersive. GTAV is way more immersive and they did not need to use first person. Many games do not need to use first person for immersion. CDPR was just not honest, for the 3rd person and first person are not one to one as you can see with the mod.

DarkTl

Forum regular
They probably flipped a coin to choose one of camera modes, because making two was too much work (never mind that games like skyrim or gta handle both very well, while having more than enough immersion too).

I don’t think it was cutting corners to just go FP

but

the cutting corners is everything else that was cut, removed, reworked etc that would have made FP work and be immersive but as it stands just seems flat and cheap.

Guest 4375874

Saw this post on Reddit earlier today https://www.reddit.com/r/cyberpunkgame/comments/ks8abm
Can't test it myself as i have uninstalled the game until they patch it and release all the paid DLC's in a bundle, but apparently the animation during carrying an enemy body is pretty disturbing.

I think this is proof that the first person view was an attempt at cutting corners. When you look at your character through first person, you don't notice as many animations/little quirks/details as in 3rd person or isometric. With first person, you are free to block the player's view from what they aren't supposed to see (characters disappearing as soon as they are off screen, characters appearing out of nowhere when they are entering the screen, locations and objects not rendering when you are supposed not to see them, etc.). in other words, doing everything they can to avoid spending additional work making animations and creating locations.

In this particular example, if such an animation was seen within a third person view game, it would be immediately ridiculed. But in first person? Most people won't pay attention until someone points it out.

I mean, they claimed they made 3rd person view for immersion, but somehow Rockstar made both first and third person view in a more immersive game (Red Dead Redemption 2) so that's no excuse.
You do realize in first person you are seeing more details in your surroundings right? You notice more details in 1st person than you would with the camera zoomed out...so any flaws in the environment would be much more noticeable.

If they wanted to cut corners then the game would have been in 3rd person, it's easier to hide flaws because your brain just fills in what it thinks something should look like and you don't really notice a bad design. So this is another clickbait post, if not then I encourage you to do some research in development. It really would be fun but also highlight some of the decisions that were taken for this game. It would certainly make these forum discussions more than just conjecture.

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s not really ”cutting corners”. The perspective is perfectly viable, but they just aren’t using it in any special way.

The perspective allows for a great deal interesting possibilities, but they just don’t get used because... who knows. A first person game just needs to be a simple FPS, I guess. It’s a terrible waste of potential, but it is what it is.

You do realize in first person you are seeing more details in your surroundings right?

Lol says who?
Let me ask you this, when you drive the car or motorbike do you do it in first person or third person?

Which perspective gives you more details to look at?

They probably flipped a coin to choose one of camera modes, because making two was too much work (never mind that games like skyrim or gta handle both very well, while having more than enough immersion too).
GTA V added First person mode post game later. Adding in options for people is great. Removing options is not. It was soley a time costing factor. Which they can fix. When the MP game comes out. If they choose to. Or they go the Pokemon route. Of not back porting work that is done, to the earlier games. I'm not even asking for any extensive work. When the character goes into it's sitting or sex scenes. The camera stays FPP. Any time you're free to move around while dialog is going on. 3rdPP is available. Gun fight, 3rdPP is available. Mirrors are actual in world reflections.

It’s not really ”cutting corners”. The perspective is perfectly viable, but they just aren’t using it in any special way.

It's cutting corners by not having the body animations complete. Nor allowing V's reflection to work in world. Like everything else. Which includes the mirror. That's a cut scene.

Last edited:
Lol says who?
Let me ask you this, when you drive the car or motorbike do you do it in first person or third person?

Which perspective gives you more details to look at?

Yeah, 3rd person let you see more, but not more details. That is 1st person for. Try Witcher 1st person mod. It suddenly looks a lot less detailed simply because the camera is much closer to things.

...I think this is proof that the first person view was an attempt at cutting corners.....

No, it's simply a 1st person game.

Last edited:
Im not getting into debates about immersion, ppl can believe and like what they want without trying to throw them views on others as far as im concerned.

Is the end result in terms of how the character looks and animates, even though us the players aren't supposed to see it, a total and horrendous mess? Yes it is

Did the developers want this?? I dont believe so

How a game like Skyrim thats nearly 10 years old can offer both TP and FP with limited animations and for all intends and purposes do it right and a game 10 years later cannot is beyond my understanding outside of they just never wanted to so it is what it is unfortunately

I don't really like third person games, but honestly CP I don't mind that it's third person after all it's a beautiful game even so.

Guest 4375874

GTA V added First person mode post game later. Adding in options for people is great. Removing options is not. It was soley a time costing factor. Which they can fix. When the MP game comes out. If they choose to. Or they go the Pokemon route. Of not back porting work that is done, to the earlier games. I'm not even asking for any extensive work. When the character goes into it's sitting or sex scenes. The camera stays FPP. Any time you're free to move around while dialog is going on. 3rdPP is available. Gun fight, 3rdPP is available. Mirrors are actual in world reflections.

It's cutting corners by not having the body animations complete. Nor allowing V's reflection to work in world. Like everything else. Which includes the mirror. That's a cut scene.
I mostly agree with your comment except combat. I'm not even usually a fan of FPS games but I find it works in CP2077. 3rd person sucks in GTA, I'm sure many disagree but I don't like my character flailing about the place trying to hit a target. Furthermore this is a much more faster paced game in combat when enemies have cyberware and are dashing about the place. It would just look ridiculous, as if I'm playing bloody fortnite and that's when I'd quit the game.

Too difficult to answer, fps works amazing at shooting at dialogues, but falls apart in everything else. I think it especially clashes with whole "style over substance" theme, considering how important body modding is yet you cant see your character, weird

(first person):Game manufacturers will say that the first perspective can better experience the game??????
Because you only need to be two hands or a wooden man. (first person) mainly easier.!!!
It'll help to save money
The reason why pigs want to fly without learning how to run

(third person): it's hard to do, and increase spending,
In the game, basic action, skill action, stunt action, hire stunt actors
The third person can change the first person at will
hit the nail on the head

I think its also one of the reason why the "player character reflection" was cut out of the game even with raytracing on i guess, its very unlikely they would ever forget about "player reflection in the city" its the same situation with shadows it doesn't represents what the player is actually doing or should be doing sometimes it does but still looks stiff & janky..
3rd person mod shows some janky animation if used, maybe its because the mod is forcing the game to go third person and the game is not meant for it so it glitches out? or perhaps the player runs actually around with those kind of animations you just don't see it because first person only, there is no player reflection anywhere except if you find a mirror which is a one stand same thing always.

GTA Saints Row The Elder Scrolls Fallout ??????????
What I want to emphasize is that:The third person can change the first person at will
In other words, the first person may not change the third person
Why? Why? Why? ( money!!!! )
Post automatically merged:

Of course, thrift is a virtue
Ha ha ha
Post automatically merged:

• To put it bluntly, this is not jerry-building. This is frugality

Last edited:
So i went and used a raytracing mod that allow player reflection to be shown and here is it how it looks.; another thing the game does not let you move around with the freelook camera in photomode. "when you are carrying a body"

Cyberpunk 2077 Screenshot 2021.01.08 - 01.32.57.31 (2).png
Cyberpunk 2077 Screenshot 2021.01.08 - 01.34.49.68 (2).png
Cyberpunk 2077 Screenshot 2021.01.08 - 01.35.21.56 (2).png

Last edited:
Yes and no.

FP was a really early decision.

Sure, you save some code rendering the player model and how they implemented the character creator is really poor.

You have one default body, where they render your face on when you look at it.

That's why camera mode and no mirrors.
Even the shadow doesn't represent your character. Like when wearing a large hat it doesn't cast a shadow.

I don't understand the chin camera, but i do enjoy looking up and at the nice scenery of NC.

Most are playing it as an FPS, so this factor doesn't hinder your gameplay. Only melee can be confusing at times but the game is so easy, you almost win anyway.

Top Bottom