Was YongYea being dishonest in his Review?

+

Is he

• Yea

Votes: 13 65.0%
  • Nah

Votes: 7 35.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Disclaimer: I like Cyberpunk 2077, I am not as negative on it as some people are but I do acknowledge it does have it's problems and does fall short in more than a few areas.

Does anyone else find it a little funny though how Youtubers like YongYea were all too happy to hype the shit out of the game but as soon as outrage starts they turn about face and jump on the fuck CDPR bandwagon? Kind of shows you the nature of video game reviews and that the "social media influencers" that have taken the space of the "video game journalist" are really no better, only difference is that the video games journalist was more beholden to the publisher while the social media influencer is only there to tell the fans what they want to hear, it is kind of why Angry Joe usually waits a week or 2 or maybe even a month before releasing his review, plenty of time to gauge what the fans are saying and tailor your review according, Yong made the mistake of releasing his review early to get it out there while the iron was hot and to get those clicks while he thought CDPR was a darling among the fans and would always be a darling, instead he just exposed himself and showed everyone what I already know about these "social media influencers".

Sure there is some degree of sucking up to the publisher, well actually there is quite a lot of it as it nets you free merch and early access previews, but this is only when the fans who give you the bulk of your views and money are on board with the publisher, but if it is somebody like EA or Ubisoft then feel free to shit all over them because everyone hates those guys.

If you watch YongYea's review you can see it is pretty much all just CDPR talking points, and while he does put the occasional negative in to try to maintain the image of honesty and credibility he does gloss over how bad some of these bugs can be and even fails to mention major flaws such as the police AI that any reviewer worth anything should have picked up, if had knew there was going to be such a backlash I am sure we would have seen a far more negative review.

But hey, if you were ever one of those people who wondered why game publishers do closed door preview screenings to game reviewers and social media influencers instead of just making the footage available to everyone then this is why, they know that these people aren't going to give an accurate representation of what they saw as they overhype and misconstrue certain features, technically it isn't the publisher lying about what is in the game but the influencer giving their own skewed impressions on what they think they saw while hyping things up in order captivate their audience. The publisher knows this and I know this, maybe you did not know it but now you do know it now that I have told you. In the end the only person's opinion you should listen to is mine because I am not afraid to say things that piss off both the fans and the publishers.

I didn't watch it, but Yong was one of the youtubers that actually had a tiff with CDPR on the treatment of developers and things got quite cold between yong and CDPR. I doubt he's a shill. He mostly complained about the bugs but said he loved everything else. To me the bugs are least of the problems.

Not gonna watch it nor do I really care what he does.

These pseudo e-celebs live on the visibility and clicks, and right now it’s trendy to be critical. He’d lose subscribers if he started making too many excuses for the game in this atmosphere.

This is why those people shouldn’t be given too much attention in matters like this. They’re often either just shills or opportunists.

These pseudo e-celebs live on the visibility and clicks, and right now it’s trendy to be critical. He’d lose subscribers if he started making too many excuses for the game in this atmosphere.

This is why those people shouldn’t be given too much attention in matters like this. They’re often either shills or opportunists.

Gotta agree here.

Well it is more that his review of the game was overwhelmingly positive before he knew there would be such a massive backlash, if you actually watch the review he does oversell a lot of the features in the game while downplaying some of the issues and even neglects to mention a lot of the issues in the game

Now that there is such a backlash he is pretending "Oh I am just as angry as you guys, fuck CDPR".

I don't care if the coverage is positive or negative as long as it is honest, but the review he released before the backlash and the content after the backlash kind of shows how dishonest he is, kind of picking on Yong here as it is probably the most notable example but it stands as an example of how most of these "social media influencers" are, pretty sure Angry Joe is no different, I just think it is funny and I love it when these guys show their true colours.

Angry Joe and Yong are just click bait grifters. The only Video Game Youtuber who has been consistent is Jim Sterling, but that's just because he doesn't really give af about what other people think.

I don't mind Yong's content but he does sound like a broken record at times constantly bringing past events up as a "recap". when covering news. Look at his FO76 content to get what I'm referring to.

The ONLY youtube "reviews" I even bother listening to are from ACG, dude buys his own games, doesn't do the flashy media events, doesn't play around, just gets to the point and is honest with it.

Watching his reviews has personally saved my hundreds.​

So you're saying people should not talk about the state of the game?

That is not what I am saying at all.
Post automatically merged:

Angry Joe and Yong are just click bait grifters. The only Video Game Youtuber who has been consistent is Jim Sterling, but that's just because he doesn't really give af about what other people think.

Jim is just as bad, he is just beholden to a different audience and a different clique of people that exists closer to the games journalists of old but a little bit outside of it. More the populist indy scene.

Last edited by a moderator:
People hung up about this stuff are genuinely wack lmao.

I watched through his entire thing the day before coz I was bored along with SkillUp's and ended up sharing pretty much the same thoughts on the core game itself.

Alot of people seem to have taken it personally to make it seem like Yong and others have 180'd based on public opinion but from what I see, everyone's criticising console performance pretty much which they rightfully should and I haven't seen anyone backtrack on their actual opinion of the game itself.

Big surprise people, but quite a large playerbase don't actually care that much about police and NPC routines (as much as the vocal forum and reddit people make it try to seem like this is the case).

You can keep being outraged on the forums and act like the majority agree with you because of the echo chamber and make yourself feel good with posts like these essentially karma farming, but in the end doesn't change a thing

People hung up about this stuff are genuinely wack lmao.

I watched through his entire thing the day before coz I was bored along with SkillUp's and ended up sharing pretty much the same thoughts on the core game itself.

Alot of people seem to have taken it personally to make it seem like Yong and others have 180'd based on public opinion but from what I see, everyone's criticising console performance pretty much which they rightfully should and I haven't seen anyone backtrack on their actual opinion of the game itself.

Big surprise people, but quite a large playerbase don't actually care that much about police and NPC routines (as much as the vocal forum and reddit people make it try to seem like this is the case).

You can keep being outraged on the forums and act like the majority agree with you because of the echo chamber and make yourself feel good with posts like these essentially karma farming, but in the end doesn't change a thing

Well at least you actually read my post, kudos for you, most people just see me bashing their favourite Youtuber and go into a butthurt rant without reading a thing.

Well at least you actually read my post, kudos for you, most people just see me bashing their favourite Youtuber and go into a butthurt rant without reading a thing.

Considering the state of CorpTube, what do you expect from these people? Honesty? That's impossible in that ecosystem and publishers know it and can exploit it by instantly black-balling anyone who doesn't toe the line, and when you lose access, you lose views and when you lose views you lose your livelihood.

It's easy to be critical of people when you have nothing on the line. You wouldn't tell your boss at work to stuff it either if you wanted to keep your job.

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Disclaimer: I like Cyberpunk 2077, I am not as negative on it as some people are but I do acknowledge it does have it's problems and does fall short in more than a few areas.

Does anyone else find it a little funny though how Youtubers like YongYea were all too happy to hype the shit out of the game but as soon as outrage starts they turn about face and jump on the fuck CDPR bandwagon? Kind of shows you the nature of video game reviews and that the "social media influencers" that have taken the space of the "video game journalist" are really no better, only difference is that the video games journalist was more beholden to the publisher while the social media influencer is only there to tell the fans what they want to hear, it is kind of why Angry Joe usually waits a week or 2 or maybe even a month before releasing his review, plenty of time to gauge what the fans are saying and tailor your review according, Yong made the mistake of releasing his review early to get it out there while the iron was hot and to get those clicks while he thought CDPR was a darling among the fans and would always be a darling, instead he just exposed himself and showed everyone what I already know about these "social media influencers".

Sure there is some degree of sucking up to the publisher, well actually there is quite a lot of it as it nets you free merch and early access previews, but this is only when the fans who give you the bulk of your views and money are on board with the publisher, but if it is somebody like EA or Ubisoft then feel free to shit all over them because everyone hates those guys.

If you watch YongYea's review you can see it is pretty much all just CDPR talking points, and while he does put the occasional negative in to try to maintain the image of honesty and credibility he does gloss over how bad some of these bugs can be and even fails to mention major flaws such as the police AI that any reviewer worth anything should have picked up, if had knew there was going to be such a backlash I am sure we would have seen a far more negative review.

But hey, if you were ever one of those people who wondered why game publishers do closed door preview screenings to game reviewers and social media influencers instead of just making the footage available to everyone then this is why, they know that these people aren't going to give an accurate representation of what they saw as they overhype and misconstrue certain features, technically it isn't the publisher lying about what is in the game but the influencer giving their own skewed impressions on what they think they saw while hyping things up in order captivate their audience. The publisher knows this and I know this, maybe you did not know it but now you do know it now that I have told you. In the end the only person's opinion you should listen to is mine because I am not afraid to say things that piss off both the fans and the publishers.
He has Zero Credibilty beyond Playstation Payoffs.

I don't think he is being dishonest. The problem is, that the experience people have with this game varies greatly.

Some run into game breaking bugs all the time, game crashing etc. and others doesn't. I spend 125 hours completing it, had lots of bugs and glitches, but only crashed one time, I didn't fall through the world or some of the weird things that some people experience. And honestly I had a really good time with it, but as with many games, issues become more transparent the longer you play them, so maybe I didn't notice a lot of the issues in the beginning because I was focused on other things, maybe that part of the mission had a lot of scripted events.
I played as the Nomad, which I believe have the longest intro, at least it felt like that to me. But it also have a lot of scripted moments, which didn't bug for me, so my experience weren't bad. But as I got further into the game and got more used to the menus, skills, items etc. and focus more on the what was going on, a lot more bugs started to become visible, combat issues, AI, traffic etc. I really enjoyed the story and still think its fine, especially the side missions. But as some of them bugged or I accidentally chose a wrong option and reloaded, I started to notice that this new option i chose, pretty much were the exact same as the first one I made by mistake, which made me wonder, about that as well.

So all the issues, even if you are not constantly fighting with bugs, slowly started to show at the end of my playthrough, I decided to just go for the ending, because at this point the combat weren't exciting anymore, there was nothing to do in Night city, except gigs, and I didn't really needed any new gear as I could already 1 shot everyone pretty much. I had completed the side missions except the Kerry one. Basically a lot of the issues you won't notice after having played even for 30 hours or more, will start to get your attention more than what else CP has to offer.

But overall, I really had a good time with it, so I don't think Yongyea were telling a lie, but it depends so much on how you play it, If you go GTA style, I think you will get a very bad impression compared to you RP it, because the game doesn't seem to handle that playstyle very well in general. And again if you only experience what I would call graphical and "minor" bugs, the game is a really good experience in my opinion. But it is not what the trailers make you believe it is. It is an action, adventure game, with the illusion or tiny bit of RPG in it.

He clearly has little to no understanding of the Cyberpunk universe. This is by far the worst review he has ever made. And although this is wild speculation, I personally am 100% sure he hasn't even played the game for the last 10-15 days. Just by calling it an RPG and putting on a display and pedestal the lackluster mechanics of the game, it makes me sick.

Regardless, I usually enjoy his content, and for him being dishonest, NO, I do not believe he has been dishonest in his review. I think he genuinely "reviewed" the game from his own perspective and experience but did not even take time to address the ACTUAL issues with the game itself and what prevents it from being the masterpiece it had to become. Instead, it is now just another action game that you play once, or maybe twice, and shelve it.

Which overall reception and points on the matter regarding the game are:
1. Good or at least decent story
2. Buggy mess and lackluster AI
3. Severely cut content/unfished product

The reason why people are displeased:
1. Broken Promes/Unmet Expectations (depends on the individual how they see this)
2. Inconsistency with the base principles CDPR stands (or used to stand) by.

If you go and compare Upper Echelon Gaming's earlier review and latest content (where he says he can't defend it anymore), you will see the same trend. The first review was produced even before the game was released, and the last review several days after and they are complete turnover, while he barely mentions stuff besides bugs. It is not dishonesty, it is a delusion from initial hype. Which I also had for my first 120 hours. The game is now shelved and I ain't touching it, already experienced the story.

Considering the state of CorpTube, what do you expect from these people? Honesty? That's impossible in that ecosystem and publishers know it and can exploit it by instantly black-balling anyone who doesn't toe the line, and when you lose access, you lose views and when you lose views you lose your livelihood.

It's easy to be critical of people when you have nothing on the line. You wouldn't tell your boss at work to stuff it either if you wanted to keep your job.

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

You make it sound like they provide such a vital service and in order to keep providing that service they need to try and operate somewhere between the lines laid down by their corporate overlords performing such a great sacrifice because if we weren't able to get the content they provide? Well that would be the true tragedy!

But truly it is not Youtube that these guys need to afraid of, it is their fans, fans can be more fickle that Youtube ever was and if you say the wrong thing you can watch your sub count just evaporate, kind of why Yong has to wear 2 faces here, before the backlash when CDPR was the darling of the fans it was nothing but knob slobbering, after the backlash he is mad at hell at the unnacceptable and shady practices of CDPR.

In all honesty I don't hate these people for their chosen grift, if they can make money doing what they do then all the more power to them, however I just don't respect it as a career, they aren't providing a vital service and a monkey could do what they do and probably to a better level, it is why I really could not give a fuck every time they go on about how Youtube is taking all of their ad revenue and they really deserve all that ad revenue because [...]

Last edited by a moderator:
In my opinion some already said what he (yong) is on about. he's mostly riding the clickbait and "critical" trend to wring out as much content as he can, probably more or less knowing he hurts this whole thing more than anything else.

About cyberpunk I got other sources and tried to view it from as much (and my own) POV as much as possible. I think MadQueen did a video on it (or was it someone else of "that group"? aka lastknownmeal, neonarcade or legacykiller, ... dunno anymore).

BUT... Madqueen talked about the process of her testing and getting a pre-release version. In this she got asked by CDPR which version of the game she wants to test. She wanted the pc verison, so she got it. Dunno if she said it in a video or if it was on twitter said by her?!
So I don't know if she was the only one that got this "offer" or if it's dependand on the community manager in charge.
But if this was the case for everyone, they got the same chance to get it on the console. Also telling other developers don't even ask and just send the pc version.

Even though it's not that I know anything, so please take it with a grain of salt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom