Watch our brand new, opening cinematic!

+
Just remembered another awesomesauce CG trailer:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyYbvVAtlWk[/media]

Dat lightsaber battle.

eskiMoe said:
Well, I still prefer the intro cinematic from the first game.

Technically it's nowhere near as stunning but I just love the short story it's based on.. :)
I agree completely. It was that movie that made me start to fall in love with The Witcher, and no matter how good subsequent movies get, I don't think anything will be able to replace it in my heart.

Interesting how people view things differently. I really like The Witcher one's intro cinematic. It showed Geralt as a complete badass. But ultimately, I felt it added very little to the story (build up for the striga that I found kind of dull?). It actually also confused me a bit, for I initially thought that Geralt being injured and losing his memory at the beginning of the game was due to the striga. Also, this entire: "hey see this story? Yea awesome? Well we'll talk about it some other time, now play this instead" kind of felt weird and out of place to me.

It did its job introducing Geralt for sure, but the Letho cutscene is immediately relevant to the story and main plot, showing off the antagonist being a complete badass on par with Geralt (extremely important to me) and explicitly showing the dangers of this conspiracy. I of course played the game before watching it, but judging from my reaction when seeing it even after playing the game 3 times, it would have added a lot of tension and anticipation.

The Witcher 1 outro on the otherhand was better than the into, imo and combined with this new CGI, showcases how threatening (and cool) the Viper Witchers are, very well.

KnightofPhoenix said:
It actually also confused me a bit, for I initially thought that Geralt being injured and losing his memory at the beginning of the game was due to the striga.
Wut?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZcsNE6wCHI#t=7m7s

"The Witcher succeeded, lifted the curse, gained fame. The world changed with the coming of the great war. The time of the sword and axe, the time of disdain. Geralt of Rivia disappeared, all but forgotten, but that's another story."

*The Witcher logo comes to the screen*

*Main menu appears*

To me it was pretty clear that the intro cinematic was from Geralt's past. And the game would start a new chapter. But if you didn't know about the fact that the game was based on a series of books it might've been confusing.

eskiMoe said:
"The Witcher succeeded, lifted the curse, gained fame. The world changed with the coming of the great war. The time of the sword and axe, the time of disdain. Geralt of Rivia disappeared, all but forgotten, but that's another story."

*The Witcher logo comes to the screen*

*Main menu appears*

To me it was pretty clear that the intro cinematic was from Geralt's past. And the game would start a new chapter. But if you didn't know about the fact that the game was based on a series of books it might've been confusing.

I vaguely knew it was based on a series of books, but had no idea what it was all about (it was later that I discovered that the event was in the book). So naturally I assumed that the intro had something to do with the main plot and story.

I got confused because I thought Geralt barely feigned death and disappeared only once, not twice. So I confused the two events (then I learned that the second time was in Rivia).

eskiMoe said:
I don't know when KoP first played TW1, but it didn't say, "The Witcher succeeded, lifted the curse, gained fame" until the EE came out. People who played it in the first year went directly from the striga slashing Geralt with her claws to information about the war. So if KoP played TW1 before the EE came out, it was easier to get confused then.

The negative effect the TW1 intro had on me was to make me terrified in Chapter 5 when it was time for us to kill or cure the striga. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to live up to what Geralt had done in the magnificent intro. Then I discovered that casting Quen and standing around was MUCH easier than everything Geralt had done during the intro.

TW2 intro is stunning, but it's nowhere near as amazing as the first game's trailer was, at least that's in my heart forever. It basically showed you how Geralt, the famous White Wolf defeated the Striga, and it had such an effect on me, that when I was readingt how Geralt fought the Striga, images from the trailer were flowing in my mind. Had a much more clearer image of how he defeated her.

Although I think the second game is amazing, much more challenging, and nonlinear than the first one, I don't know why, maybe because it introduced me into the world of the Witchers, maybe because of the atmosphere, the places, but the first game had something special, mystical, that will always be in my heart. No matter how incredible, long, complex, engaging, challenging, nonlinear the third game will be, it won't have such an impact on me like the first game, that's for sure.Not even if it will take me back to Kaer Morhen or Vizima. Oh, nostalgia... :p

Found some nice gifs from the trailer

Duskey said:
Found some nice gifs from the trailer

Thanks! I have a thing for using .gif in work related e-mails. The archers slashing will come in handy i expect ;)

I just found the Witcher 2 Intro MAKING OF by Platige Image. It's pretty impressive:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQ7spvXskGA[/media]

@gregski

Unfortunalty Making Of movies always lack of the most relevant part of "making of", the "behind the scenes": storyboard, concept arts, direction, animation studies...

secondchildren said:
@gregski

Unfortunalty Making Of movies always lack of the most relevant part of "making of", the "behind the scenes": storyboard, concept arts, direction, animation studies...

True, that would be nice! But still, it's nice to catch a little glimpse of it :)

Some more trailer awesomeness by CDPR team.

DON'T CLICK PLAY IF YOU ARE ALLERGIC TO ENHANCED EDITION SPOILERS.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T72p3Mro9TI&context=C3c9c864ADOEgsToPDskK9eVDp9CejC1qE8ThjlCjy[/media]

I like the idea behind this trailer, beautiful & deadly indeed!

gregski said:
I like the idea behind this trailer, beautiful & deadly indeed!
Thanks for sharing that with us, Gregski!

I get the sense that they're reacting somewhat to the hoopla over Skyrim and showing us that TW2 also has a totally gorgeous world that players can explore. It IS gorgeous, but to me, it's the characters that make the game, and CDPR does that better than anybody.

Top Bottom