Watch The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt “The Trail” Opening Cinematic

+

Jupiter_on_Mars

Here's the million-dollar question:
@Marcin Momot , is what we watched the full extent of the cinematic intro in the final game, Yea or Nay?

As Reptile pointed out, let's not get trapped in language and corner everyone into either loving the cinematic with all their hearts or hating it to death. There's a multitude of nuances in between and they include enjoying the trailer, as I did, and yet finding faults with it, as I did. Maybe those faults will shrink into insignificance if the final version turns out to be quite longer and more comprehensive. I don't know.

But Marcin will tell us, won't you Marcin? The 80s gave us the best album by the best pop band ever to exist on the face of the Planet, published by the best ever indie record label. And yet you had us suffer through bald Phil, Genesis, the lamest of the lame. I hereby demand compensation:

Is that the full cinematic or just an excerpt?

:teeth:

Last edited:
I'm really suprised how so many people hate this trailer... maybe it is not as good as W2 intro, nontheless it's great. It's a story, introduction to a game. It is not a TRAILER literally! For me... I really enjoyed it.

The testosterone crowd was probably expecting some cathartic dismembering with a big ass sword at the hands of Geralt or some other badass. Instead we got a girl ;) (which I'm competely ok with if it wasn't for the stupid high heeled boots , and of course for Gregor Clegane, that was a rather cheap/unnecessary GoT tribute. Sapkowski's word doesn't need that.)

I would like to remind everyone that the trailer/intro features alot of cathartic dismemberment and great crushing of soldiers :D

The testosterone crowd was probably expecting some cathartic dismembering with a big ass sword at the hands of Geralt or some other badass. Instead we got a girl ;) (which I'm competely ok with if it wasn't for the stupid high heeled boots , and of course for Gregor Clegane, that was a rather cheap/unnecessary GoT tribute. Sapkowski's word doesn't need that.)

I believe the reasons some of us have for not being entirely satisfied with the trailer have already been laid out clearly, and have nothing to do with the lack of "some cathartic dismembering with a big ass sword at the hands of Geralt or some other badass" or the trailer featuring a "girl." In fact, there was plenty of "cathartic dismembering with a big ass sword at the hands of Geralt or some other badass," alas, that's not what makes a Witcher trailer good. That would be establishing a strong atmosphere and impeccable choreography mixed in with amazing music, something this trailer did not provide.

I believe the reasons some of us have for not being entirely satisfied with the trailer have already been laid out clearly, and have nothing to do with the lack of "some cathartic dismembering with a big ass sword at the hands of Geralt or some other badass" or the trailer featuring a "girl." In fact, there was plenty of "cathartic dismembering with a big ass sword at the hands of Geralt or some other badass," alas, that's not what makes a Witcher trailer good. That would be establishing a strong atmosphere and impeccable choreography mixed in with amazing music, something this trailer did not provide.

Guys, you are being so tedious. We get that every time. Atmpsphere.... atmosphere and atmoshpere. I get it. I think we really needed a change finally. More action packed intro is a nice touch. Besides, when you get same shit every time, people get bored - like with the vocals in this particular trailer. Some commented on yt or some sites... "vocals again? bla bla bla, pretentious bla bla bla, boring bla bla". I actually was positively suprised that they did something new for a change... and when I think about it now... omg I;m so happy we didn;t receive W2 intro - bis. Anyway, I guess with the overwhelming majority wanting athmosphere "all the time" :p ;) they will be forced to satisfy your needs for epicness, slow motion with epic music (sorry, I had too! :) )

TW1 - badass preparation and then monster fight by Geralt setting up stage for witcher profession
TW2 - badass assassination by then unknown Letho setting up stage for political turmoil
TW3 - badass escape sequence amidst a war intertwined with Geralt investigation of aftermath setting up stage for personal quest

The Rest is just personal preferences, each intro had nods to the books, tried to have high production values.
You cannot please everyone with your choice of pacing, music etc but still, in my book, mission accomplished.

Watched it again for the first time since yesterday (such a long time ago, right?) and I have to say, without all the damn hype surrounding it, I really appreciated the video a lot more. Kicks a lot of ass. Imagine booting up the game for the first time, seeing this intro, and then realizing that you are now the one that's gonna follow Yennefer's trail. Glorious! So kudos, CDPR.

Got to agree with Costin here on the music comparison. I already like more from what I've heard from the Witcher 3 than the Witcher 2, which was also in my opinion, not that memorable.

I just hope that they make the vocal parts in the soundtrack a bit less overpowering over the rest of the instruments and that they have more tracks like Merchants of Novigrad.

Watched it again several times today, and like @Jobbert said, it gets a lot better without the hype. Yesterday, first thoughts were like 'What, that's all?' and 'Okay, I've expected something more, nevertheless, looks great', but today I paid more attention on Yen (and the cut to Geralt und Vesemir, like they're standing face to face with her) and I'm satisfied right now.
Didn't like that Gregor-Clegane like growling at the beginning, though, but hey, it was like two seconds of the whole thing.

So, all in all, a bit too short, but good job.

I actually really like the parts of the OST we have heard so far, including the music and vocals with the trail cinematic.
I'm just glad it's not some remixed Lorde song or dubstep.
View attachment 6916

Attachments

• screen-shot-2014-10-02-at-7-39-11-am.jpg
    screen-shot-2014-10-02-at-7-39-11-am.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 19
Good cinematic. Not as great as Killing Monsters and Letho one - but definitely well done.
The music? It was quite good, but I have to agree with some people here. Overabundance of this "shrieking" is not a great idea.
I liked it in 35 minute sequence battle scenes (although it was delayed and cut off too fast), but butchering the iconic Witcher theme with this, is hurting my ears.
When it comes to remastering/remixing older tracks, subtlety is what I seek. Bigger =/= better.

Despite hearing much improvement in W3 soundtrack over the W2, I don't like where this is going, honestly.

Well I don't know, that particular piece you linked was made by Marcin Przybyłowicz, same guy that is leading the sound team now.

The main change that I see from then to now (a change that, I have to admit, do not like all that much as well) is them focusing way too much on Percival's sound. Instead of the band adding another layer of flavor to the already existing layers of what a Witcher game should sound like, they have become the main focus. I have to say that the wailing at the end of The Trail cinematic was just bad. The Witcher theme that I hold so close to my heart was just utterly ruined in my opinion.

Hit the nail on the head here. But it's mostly in the promo materials that the band has been featured so heavily, while the tracks themselves are more Witcher oriented. I'm optimistic that the majority of the OST is CDPR sticking with Witcher themed stuff. The wailing, yeah, it's too much.

Watched the trailer a few more times and it's more nuanced than I gave it credit for. The juxtaposition between Geralt investigating and Yen fleeing is cleverly done. As others have said, Yen may be suffering from the amnesia, she looks thoroughly disoriented throughout the trailer, especially when she strays onto the battlefield.

Last edited:
I think it will be similar to the Witcher 2 where you just had the vocalisations in some places of the soundtrack and not all the time.
I don't think they are "overused" in the trailer at all. They just emphasize the exoticism of the mostly slavic theme of the game and therefore make it more fascinating to audiences in the rest of the world.
The trailer itself I find very effective first and foremost. Effective as in getting me pumped for jumping right into game and pick up where the trailer ended.

Last edited:
Watched the trailer a few more times and it's more nuanced than I gave it credit for. The juxtaposition between Geralt investigating and Yen fleeing is cleverly done. As others have said, Yen may be suffering from the amnesia, she looks thoroughly disoriented throughout the trailer, especially when she strays onto the battlefield.

Good observation, didn't notice that she was disoriented. I thought she was just scared. It seems like Yen and Ciri has just been teleported and have no idea of the current world affairs (war). Thus, Yen was defending against both sides of the army. So I think she was more shocked/confused than scared.

Thought of the trailer while listening to Nick Cave
"And the swallows have sharpened their beaks"

Id really waant to know if we're gonna have Yenn as a playable character... (probably not, which is a shame), but hopefully she will be around as a companion in some quests. That would be awesome. :)

Top Bottom