Watch The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt “The Trail” Opening Cinematic

+
Well, I for one loved this trailer/intro/movie. I mean it, I love it! Great job devs!!! :thumbsup: It really brought out my 'O-face'. ^_^

Since it's so popular to compare this with Killing Monsters trailer I can without hesitation say that I like this one a lot better.

First of all it's pretty straightforward. You cannot misinterpret it. The directing is great with the focalisation of what happened to Yennefer and how Geralt and Vesemir investigate and piece all clues together of what happened there. Sure, it's been done before, in Lord of the Rings as well as Boondock Saints, CSI or what have you, but it was a nice touch all the same.

Second it's effin Yennefer(!!!!!!!!!!!!!).

And third...well...embarrasing as it is, but it took some time before I understood where Geralt got the knife from in Killing Monsters trailer.

"Very shocked was I, because a hidden blade there was not any sign.
Whatever happened in the 'Killing Monsters-trailer', Geralt moved too fast for eyes of mine" as I wrote in my poem.

'Tis true. At first I thought the devs had gone Assassin's Creed. Silly I know, but I was more shocked by that than by the 'Morality' or 'Lesser evil' discussions that trailer spawned online. Cannibal or not, evil or not, this isn't anything new to Sapkowski's Witcher world. A hidden blade very much would be.

This movie however made me wish to really get upon Roach and follow Yen's trail. As in right now. Good job devs once more! :thumbsup:

I have a question (got somehow lost with all this information).
Why Yennefer only emerges now, where were she all the time during the events of the 1 and 2 chapters of the game?
Why now?
Did she escape from somewhere?
My memory fails me.

Well this was my guess in Follow the Trail thread:

Okay, so here's a theory, and yes I'm serious:
@shawn_kh was on to something, but I don't know if Geralt and Yennefer meet in battle. I do however think that's Yennefer running away at the end of Sword of Destiny trailer. I used to think this was Ciri but I no longer think it is.

Seeing Triss and Yen together however must mean Yen is 'on our side' and not an adversary. Here's how she came to be that. Just as Geralt, she lost her memory and found herself in Emhyr's care and employ. It's not that he hasn't used people before. She is a powerful sorceress after all, why not use that potential? I know I have an old post here on the forum where I expressed this theory of Yen working with Nilfgaard.

When her memory eventually came around, as it did with Geralt, and she rediscovered her identity(just as Geralt did), she sees an opportunity to leave the very Nilfgaardian forces she has been an agent for(during Witcher 1 and 2 I guess). Simply, 'the betrayal' is Yennefer killing Nilfgaardian soldiers with magic and escaping Emhyr's grasp. Hell, I could even have written a short story about it. I guess I just did. :happy:

I do wonder if she betrayed them immediately after regaining her memory, or 'played along' until opportunity presented itself.
Too far-fetched? :happy:

EDIT: Knowing that she probably has had more time to 'recover' and regain her memory it will be interesting to know what she has been doing pre-Witcher 1 up until she broke free. If this now is the case. :happy: Also 'Aedirn' was mentioned. Wasn't Yennefer advisor to Demawend?

I actually still believe this is the case. The betrayal is Yen's, and she kills Nilfgaardians soldiers. I must be honest and admit that Triss has always been an obvious choice for me when thinking of the two. Even if I've been curious about Yennefer I only have two books worth of knowledge regarding her character, and I never really warmed up to her as much as I did to Triss.

This movie however complicates matters. I don't know why, but all of a sudden I remember Yennefer's character from The Last Wish and Blood of Elves and...discover that I really like her. Well I realise it's too soon and too foolish of me to disregard a great character like Yennefer. And again, I've only read two books so it can only get better. And more complicated.

So Yennefer recovers her memory. That detail of her sending a letter to Geralt or not, I only know what I see in this movie. She's not only running from Nilfgaardians, but have no qualms of killing them to boot. Suddenly I think of
Rience. I think of Letho, Serrit and Auckes' choice(and I think that they all had one). Of Foltest and all the shit and chaos Emhyr var Emreis has spread throughout the years.

Yennefer has two opposing forces closing in on her and she chooses to combat the Nilfgaardians, literally pounding them into the ground. I got to admit that this is all good in my book. It. Is. All. Good. Hell, I loved seeing it even!

Regarding the year 1272 I think it's good they state what year it is. They did that In Witcher 1 intro as well.

According to the devs 1272 is the year after Witcher 2 game took place, though the wiki places the first Witcher game in 1273.
If the latter it would mean that Geralt currently hasn't been sent back by King of the Wild Hunt when this transpires.
But then Geralt and Vesemir would be investigating a really really old battlefield, so scratch that. More likely the devs follow the timeline they have on their homepage.
Well, I think the quality is great, but like most others its too short, and underwhelming is an appropriate word, compared to what we've had before as "opening cinematics".
But unlike others, I believe this isn't all of it, there could easily be bits before or after. Why bother with the Year & Place? Could there be prior bits from other Years & Places? Then ending with that, and becoming Geralt on the Trail. But also, while Yens part could be argued looks complete, Geralts didn't feel complete to me, on either end, he appears abruptly, and leaves without any notice. No, I'm going to hold onto the belief that this isn;t all we will see when we start the game for the first time, and before we become Geralt.
But, watching it, I've just realised how similar to my ex Yen is, a little prettier sure, but exact same hair and features, I'd need to see more of her in action to know which one is deadliest though

I can understand those who expected more, especially with the hype train carrying people off(including myself) to a faraway dreamland. But I don't belive this is all of it as well, and that there are more pieces to it.

Yes.It's the full intro.

Oh well, but I'm not underwhelmed. So okay, this may be the full intro, but I think we will get see more CGI mid-game. Just a hunch. A very hopeful hunch. A narrator like in Witcher 1 would be nice as well. ::)

I still loved the movie though and can't stop watching it.

As it has been pointed out, probably the game will commence after this and Geralt and Vesemir will follow Yen's trail.

I'm thinking a tutorial in witcher senses and tracking would be appropriate. ^_^

EDIT: And yes, I love Office Space. Doesn't everybody? ^_^

Last edited:
As usual an excellent post from @Bellator Pius Gratus; and I don't want to add any more thats OT to this thread that I haven't already said, as I don't really see the point anymore, but I feel the need to make clear to you that I wasn't on any hype train, if it looked like I was it was because I was playing a temporary conductor, optimistically, but again whats the point if this is what we get?

Again, my apologies, but for the first time I'm actually concerned about the ability to deliver a story, and I'm finding that thought distressing.

(Yes I can be accused of thinking too much, its my curse )

According to CDPR Witcher 3 is all about Geralt. So we have an intro that hardly shows Geralt and which doesn't show or mention the Wild Hunt at all. Forgive me, but doesn't seem like a proper introduction to the the major topics of the game to me.

Actually, they said that TW3 is going to be a "more personal story of Geralt searching for his loved ones".

So there is Geralt, searching for his most loved one.

And why should the trailer show the Wild Hunt? The phrase might have many different meanings apart from Dearg Ruadhri themselves.

As usual an excellent post from @Bellator Pius Gratus; and I don't want to add any more thats OT to this thread that I haven't already said, as I don't really see the point anymore, but I feel the need to make clear to you that I wasn't on any hype train, if it looked like I was it was because I was playing a temporary conductor, optimistically, but again whats the point if this is what we get?

Again, my apologies, but for the first time I'm actually concerned about the ability to deliver a story, and I'm finding that thought distressing.

(Yes I can be accused of thinking too much, its my curse )

Thanks for those heartwarming words. :happy: Hype train or not, underwhelmed and disappointed or not, conductor or not, we are all here for a reason. We all await this awesome game from the most awesome devs to date.

Maybe you're having a reaction like I did with the Killing Monsters trailer? That the devs had gone astray. I know now I was terribly wrong. It's embarrasing but I admit it, because the only good that came out my reaction was that in my distress I joined this forum. And met all of you, my fellow witcher friends. :happy:

I always think a lot and ponders on whatever comes to mind, but don't worry friend, it's the devs. Ask yourself, have they ever disappointed? Truly?

Last edited:
Actually, they said that TW3 is going to be a "more personal story of Geralt searching for his loved ones".

And why should the trailer show the Wild Hunt? The phrase might have many different meanings apart from Dearg Ruadhri themselves.
Agreed. I don't see why either Geralt or the Wild Hunt need to be the focus (or even appear at all) in an intro; the connection doesn't have to be straightforward or clear. TW2's intro formed a very explicit relation between itself and the game's title. Here it's much more vague, even if at all directly related (the intro, that is), and that's alright. Both are fine.

TW2 cut to the chase - that of assassinating kings - fairly early in the game. They may be taking a different approach in TW3, meaning the Wild Hunt aren't prevalent from the start. In which case, they don't need to make an appearance in the intro.

Last edited:

I think I've written an extensive post about my issues with the intro. You can find all the answers there. That the Dearg Ruadhri are not shown or mentioned isn't the core of my critique, but just a part of my reflections.

Anyway, I think the video sucks as intro movie. It would be great as trailer but as intro it's just plain lacking.

Edit: I guess it's worth to mention that I also don't really like that grim dark direction of Witcher 3 established in the into cinematic. But that's another story...

Hype train or not, underwhelmed and disappointed or not, conductor or not, we are all here for a reason. We all await this awesome game from the most awesome devs to date.

Moderator: See warning below. Text deleted for the offense described. Claiming another member is not honest is equally offensive and likewise prohibited.

And I think there are/were more awesome devs to date.

Last edited by a moderator:
Moderator: Dismissing other members of the forum as "fanboys" is not tolerated. Members who persist in doing so may be subject to moderator action against their accounts. This is a warning.

You know, a kestrel looks different. In this trailer it's indeed a raven. I thought about that, because imo there have to be a reason it's a raven and not a kestrel. Maybe because the crafting would cost too much time and the raven coincidentally came fly by? Still didn't find out where it comes from exactly in the trailer, though.

Yes, I noticed it as well. It had to be a kestrel, but the bird looked different. It was one of the surprises in the trailer.

This is a good thing about Witcher universe-30 pages of analyzing and debating of 3min CGI...
God, I love being a part of this community :thumbsup:

Who is that, V? And why does it look like Gandalf is in the background?

Cutting off the head of a horse charging full speed seems like it'd be pretty much impossible, though it doesn't bother me for trailers like this. The speed of the cut would have to be so fast. I feel like you'd get maybe halfway through before the horse is so far past that it's pulled the sword from your hands.

Hah, my thoughts too. May be it's a scene near the gates of Mordor? ;D But apparently it's not Aragorn ;)

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sviatoslav_I_of_Kiev

Featuring Yen does make sense. It works as a decent hook. But I pose this: what if Geralt muttered her name right after he examined the horse head? Just her name being said once might help hook new comers in a bit more, and show that he knows who this person is.

Sorry, fact is theres nothing I'd like more than to sing the REDs praises, its just not been made easy this year... and thats just my honest feedback from a real disappointment... even though I'm getting that feeling again that feedback has nowhere to go, guess its time to stop, so you can hold the hate protectors.

Rest assured my friend. The year is not over yet (if you know what I mean;)).

What is the situation leads to the opening cinematic trailer? ¡¡¡(Yup, Spoilers)!!!

Hello my witcher comrades, im writing this post to clarify some thoughs that came into my mind.

recently comenting in a youtube video about the witcher 3 the trail cinematic, i was told that my theories about what led to the situation on the trailer were wrong. i mean i thought yennefer was still with amnessia (in the month that followed her abduction and rescue wile in emhyr´s court she surely managed to remember many things about her past but she did not knew about geralt); and when she escaped the battle between temerians and nilfgaardians she was just trying to escape from emhyr and ended up going through the middle of the battle thus leading to the trailer and unintentionally leaving the trail for geralt to find her making the search more natural and badass couse it was thanks to geralt and vesemir wicheraswome senses and training that they manage to follow the trail.

the thing is that on this yutube video a very cool dude answered me and told me " Some news site will give you that info. Yennefer sent a letter to Geralt to meet up at some place, but before Geralt got there the whole town got destroyed and she's in a middle of a war... she had to get away from there. Thus, the trail.".
wen i read that i was like lol wtf were did you got that?

if that is actually true it would change the situation in the game and make it less dramatic to my opinion. the game will still be awsome and a masterpiece dont worry.

i would just like to know, is this true? can it be confirmed?

thank you! have a great day

Rest assured my friend. The year is not over yet (if you know what I mean;)).

No I don't know what you mean, but thats ok, because I revel in that kind of ambiguity, you bad, bad, man... it seems you've got my interest piqued again, dammit ;)

Och look, you'se have obviously got a plan and you're sticking to it - that is sound - and as Bellator said, the REDs have earned enough trust for us to see this tense period through to launch. But there are things said by your fans - not necessarily me - in this thread worth review, even if that review needs must be post launch. For my comments, I realise the intro as is will work for us who know the games & are following everything up to launch, and I may be getting ahead of everything thinking about new Witchers encountering the game for the first time sometime after launch, but at some point a more complete intro, a more TW1-like introduction to the world, would surely be desirable for this epic conclusion to the series, than expecting new players to have seen all the prelaunch hype..
@shakewixx; the letter arranging a meeting hasn't been denied, but it hasn't actually been mentioned on any official channel yet, afaik, so I'd still consider the specific details as hearsay for now. ;)

Hello my witcher comrades, im writing this post to clarify some thoughs that came into my mind.

recently comenting in a youtube video about the witcher 3 the trail cinematic, i was told that my theories about what led to the situation on the trailer were wrong. i mean i thought yennefer was still with amnessia (in the month that followed her abduction and rescue wile in emhyr´s court she surely managed to remember many things about her past but she did not knew about geralt); and when she escaped the battle between temerians and nilfgaardians she was just trying to escape from emhyr and ended up going through the middle of the battle thus leading to the trailer and unintentionally leaving the trail for geralt to find her making the search more natural and badass couse it was thanks to geralt and vesemir wicheraswome senses and training that they manage to follow the trail.

the thing is that on this yutube video a very cool dude answered me and told me " Some news site will give you that info. Yennefer sent a letter to Geralt to meet up at some place, but before Geralt got there the whole town got destroyed and she's in a middle of a war... she had to get away from there. Thus, the trail.".
wen i read that i was like lol wtf were did you got that?

if that is actually true it would change the situation in the game and make it less dramatic to my opinion. the game will still be awsome and a masterpiece dont worry.

i would just like to know, is this true? can it be confirmed?

thank you! have a great day
It's written here : http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-10-24-the-extravagant-witcher-3-intro-cinematic-is-here
But really don't know why Eurogamer is the only website with that information, so I wouldn't be 100% sure it's a legit information.

Thank you for the info! im not really sure eather but we shall see

the way it was writen it seams (to me) like somehing someone said it would sound right in a way to rapup the events rather than what actually happens. in my country it is called chamullo and i know how to notice it extremely well :p

Last edited:
For those not familiar with chamullo (I wasn't until you brought it up), it's South American Spanish for telling a plausible lie. In English, blarney.

Because CDPR (IMO both deliberately and artistically) left a lot of unanswered questions with that intro, attempts to explain it may go well beyond facts in evidence; some of them may actually be right, but we'll have to play the game to find out.

Well played, Marcin.

Last edited:
Top Bottom