Watch The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt “The Trail” Opening Cinematic

+
The Wild Hunt is a vague threat that comes and takes a few people once in a while. Ciri is in another world... for the purposes of storytelling neither exist at the beginning.

The story begins as a personal one ~ Geralt seeking for Yennefer ~ either as his destiny or to obtain closure/answers/information about Ciri's world. Too early to tell... but what we do know already is that this is Geralt's search for Yennefer, following on from discussion with Letho from W2.

There is opportunity for many more cutscenes and cinematics throughout the game, you will be introduced to Ciri, and to the Wild Hunt at appropriate times I am sure.

Interesting info from Eurogamer about the trailer:
The action takes place near the Temerian kingdom's capital of Vizima, and follows Geralt and his witcher mentor Vesemir in pursuit of powerful sorceress Yennefer - Geralt's long lost love.

Yennefer sent Geralt a letter asking for a meet, but the village they were to rendezvous at was destroyed. Where to next? Geralt - you - must follow the trail.

Yennefer sent Geralt a letter asking for a meet, but the village they were to rendezvous at was destroyed. Where to next? Geralt - you - must follow the trail.

Yea if this Intro Cinematic flows directly into the start of the game, then it's actually really brilliant.

Guess we'll wait and see. However it still doesn't have that raw enjoyment factor on the same level as W1/2 or even Killing Monsters.

Yea if this Intro Cinematic flows directly into the start of the game, then it's actually really brilliant.

Guess we'll wait and see. However it still doesn't have that raw enjoyment factor on the same level as W1/2 or even Killing Monsters.

Maybe it eases into the gameplay superbly

It was really good but CDPR put the bar so high with other trailers and CGIs. Also the community is very demanding because of quality and effort CDPR puts in everything they do.

The art direction is superb - dark, grim colors and great models.

The weakest point of this trailer is the screenplay in my opinion. The story is predictable, there's no good begining. The ending misses punchline. Pacing is kinda strange - action sequences is being stopped by slow clue's searching. It reminds me the scene from Lord of the Rings: Two Towers - I didn't like that scene.

Overall very good technical effort but not that great storywise.

I'm still buying the game :)

Last edited:
The main problem i have with it is it isn't as atmospheric as the previous ones. I can't quite put my finger on it but it doesn't feel 'Witchery'. I would of preferred something a bit slower and less action packed that told a story by itself or that had the atmosphere that killing monsters had. But i suppose it's the opening cinematic it's only supposed to set up the story, and it does that just fine.

His point still stands though. W1 and W2 intros telling their own story which got resolved at the end. Where W3 intro is set up for beginning of the game. Of course it didn´t resolved anything (you will resolved it in the game).

In that case I can see W3 intro working better.

Yeah, looks like I misunderstood the post.

I much preferred killing monsters. It was so intimate and rather down-to-earth in a very Witcher-esque way (There was the Aard, I know, but I really liked how it was basically just 5 men and one woman in the middle of nowhere and still achieved to tell an interesting and undoutedly ambigous story - we all know they migt've been right about her). Epic Nilfgaardian cameo, as mentioned by others, but I could make do without the Mountain's. CD Projekt Red are usually spot on when it comes to arms and armour but his sword and his oafishness really seems like something off of an outdated history book or some bland Hollywood movie comparing "exotic and sophisticated" eatern weapons to their "clumsy and crude" western counterparts.

If no one noticed that-Yennefer attacked Aedirn army by her magic in that battlefield. Maybe that was Aedirn and betrayal suppose to mean when that puzzle week was.

1:54 ish, when she opens the ground (or whatever) I can see one of their shields with a Nilfgaardian sun and they have Nilfgaard styled winged helmets, so idk... One of them has a colored headband that resembles Saskia's but that's the only Aedern sort thing I see.

Last edited:
I have a question (got somehow lost with all this information).

Why Yennefer only emerges now, where were she all the time during the events of the 1 and 2 chapters of the game?
Why now?
Did she escape from somewhere?
My memory fails me.

I have a question (got somehow lost with all this information).

Why Yennefer only emerges now, where were she all the time during the events of the 1 and 2 chapters of the game?
Why now?
Did she escape from somewhere?
My memory fails me.

I like to know that aswell... from where or who is she running, we know what happened to her in TW2 (sort of) but from TW2 to this needs a bit explaining.

Top Bottom