Watch The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt “The Trail” Opening Cinematic

+
I'd guess that Yennefer has been trying to leave Nilfgaard and rejoin Geralt.

Whether she was travelling with the Niflgaardians, or alone she is now running from them, at a point where they are in contact with Northern Kingdom forces. She is unhorsed between the armies and is making do, before making her escape on a Nilfgaardian Knight's horse.

We have a suggested letter to Geralt, requesting a meeting, which might hint at independent travel... or escape from a trusted position.

I won't watch it untill I have the game in my PC. I still remember how epic it was to see Witcher 2 opening cinematic with Letho for the first time and then jump right into the game to experience the epic adventure! Hoping for the same with W3.

I'm hoping in-game Geralt learns from his CGI counter part that he should lay off the donuts before release.
Also I forget, did CDPR ever confirm that we could get a thicker beard than those we've seen in the gameplay thus far - similar to the promo stuff?

Beards are a big deal to me

My biggest gripes: Ser Gregor Clegane and stiletto boots:huh:

Then again how was that old Adam And The Ants song going? "Ridicule is nothing to be scared of..." lol

I'd guess that Yennefer has been trying to leave Nilfgaard and rejoin Geralt.

Whether she was travelling with the Niflgaardians, or alone she is now running from them, at a point where they are in contact with Northern Kingdom forces. She is unhorsed between the armies and is making do, before making her escape on a Nilfgaardian Knight's horse.

We have a suggested letter to Geralt, requesting a meeting, which might hint at independent travel... or escape from a trusted position.

It seems she just happened to be on the battlefield between two armies, on the way of Nilfgaardian cavalry charge. They wouldn't be able to stop in order to avoid hitting her even if they wanted. It was not really a good place to be, when people tend to kill everyone who in not their side's uniform.

@Totalimmortal For me, this did not feel like a Witcher trailer. Random fantasy game X perhaps, but it lacked that special vibe and presentation.

The trailer immediately starts with the action and does not take a break, ultimatley never allowing you to soak in the atmosphere - one of the most important things in The Witcher. Did not appreciate the forced GoT reference at the start either, I think TW can stand on its own just fine. Not enough variety in the music, didn't know when to make dramatic pauses, vocals were overused, especially at the very end, when the logo appears. The trailer itself did not feature a big "Wow" moment, I think that was supposed to be Yen using that spell, but it lacked impact. As I said, the pacing of the action and the music did not work well enough to build up to that moment and make it feel significant.

And that's the general feel I got from the whole thing - it was insignificant. Nothing worthwhile happens. It starts with Geralt searching for Yen and ends in that way. I also have issues with how the battle was presented - too much grandiose high fantasy, too little Witcher grittiness and intimacy. Like I mentioned at the start - did not feel like a Witcher trailer to me. Another thing I did not like is that everything felt rushed, which is closely related to the "no time for build-up" point I made earlier. I get that they were trying to give off this feel of urgency in the Yen scenes, when compared to the calmer Geralt ones, but I think they overdid it a bit.

Finally, the trailer desperately needed some voice work. A narrator or Geralt analyzing the clues, something. Again, ties in with the whole "trailer was constantly in a rush to be over" idea.

In the end, it did nothing to really pique my interest. It was a fun watch, but had no lasting impact on me.

Last edited:
Great trailer. First time watching I was a bit underwhelmed, but watching it again, I like it a lot. Still like the other CGI trailers/intro's better though (Sorry CDPR).

Now I just got an idea. I assume Yennefer transformed the bird in that crystal. Is she leaving a trail (!) for Geralt to follow? Since she and Geralt were supposed to meet up at a village, but it was swallowed in a battle (according to the Eurogamer info).

Edit: I agree with Reptile that the trailer could have used some narration.

Last edited:
This.
I saw the trailer in between some RL affairs, read a few disappointed comments and TBH I was also a little disappointed at first thought.

Then I watched it again. And again. And again.

I now find it quite brilliant on many different levels. First - it's a smooth follow up to the Killing Monsters trailer, same No Man's Land scenery, Vesemir...I like the continuation. Second - art direction is solid as fcuk and I'm just amazed how Platige Image & Co. manage to stay so consistent and do not drop the ball in this area...like...ever. Top, top quality. The music also fits the atmosphere nicely.

But the thing I like the most about it is how the director used different scenes in parallel and how they switch between Yennefer in the heat of battle and Geralt finding clues. She's so close, he can almost feel her at his fingertips...but also so far away, always a few steps ahead into the unknown - something that describes their relationship rather accurately. So that technique was really, really classy.

About the intro being "weaker" than W1/W2's - I think this one is simply different. Previous 2 featured Witchers in action - so you had everything you could expect from them - slick moves, swordfighting, throats being cut - it was all more spectacular in and of itself. Here we have a sorceress on the run that deals with the situation as she goes - she most probably would just run away if she managed to get through. So it's all more hectic and spontaneous than Witcher's methodical killing spectacle.

The script in previous intros also featured a culminating event, while here the ending is rather open - because most probably it will take us directly to the game.

So, all in all - impressive work. My biggest gripe is that it doesn't feature a narrator or include any dialogues.

It *isn;t* a trailer. It is a brief opening scene for a 200 hour long game. It isn't supposed to conclude a tale... rather to open one, to raise questions. Questions that you, as the protagonist then resolve.
I still don't think "underwhelming" as most people described it, is something you should aim for with your game opening.
This intro definitely doesn't leave you with that "Fuck yeah! Let's do this!" feeling. Witcher 1 intro and Witcher 2 intro do.

When we being the game Gerald has been on Yennifer's trail for over 4 months. The site says the game begins in May 1273 and it's late fall or winter 1272 in the cinematic.

1. Geralt is either going to give-up the search for her for the winter and return to Kaer Morhen with Vesemir with KM acting as the tutorial or...
2. Is Geralt is going to be returning to Kaer Morhen sometime during the middle of the game.

Either way I'm interested to see how much Vesemir (and the other withers) play a role in the game. Vesemir has been in two trailers so far so I'd think he be more than just the "guide" in the beginning for the tutorial and is actually on the Path.

It *isn;t* a trailer. It is a brief opening scene for a 200 hour long game. It isn't supposed to conclude a tale... rather to open one, to raise questions. Questions that you, as the protagonist then resolve.

Yes, and that's what TW2 intro did. But in a more competent way than this.

Loved the cinematic, Geralt investigating the trail in parallel with the big army and Yennefer escaping was a great idea, and unlike others I totally loved the trailer's song, because it's new and refreshing and doesn't feel like something we've already heard before, while staying medieval and "witchery". Only four months to wait now !

Geralt sure had some "Aragorn moment" there. At least it made me think of this scene below in the LOTR film trilogy:
(Vesemir should have said at the end: "Fangorn. What madness drove her there":ice:)

ANyway, I suspect that in the game the intro will be longer. Scenes seem to be very heavily cut otherwise

Last edited:

IsengrimR

I'm singularly unimpressed by this. Both trailers, for Witcher 1 and Witcher 2 EE were much better, snappier, more to the point. With much more fitting music.
And can we, tone down, the goddamn yelling in music? Please?

There's something to be said that I watched Witcher 1 and Witcher's 2 Intro over and over and over again, but this one? Why would I want to watch it again, exactly?
There's no cool story there, no intrigue, no impressive fight scenes, no badass music.

All we have is Yen running away, She's apparently sane now, god knows how, and she's just walked into the middle of the battlefield... Ok, I see I should back out of the "sanity" part, one does not simply casually walk into a massive skirmish.

The escape button will be mashed!
Hype will extinguished!
Hate will be shared!

I can understand it's a intro, and should have a 'open' ending. But as a intro it should start like one, I don't want to have to visit forums or game news sites to find out the backstory when I start the game.

So some narrative can help in that aspect, and since the killing monsters had characters speaking, and this feels like a direct follow up of KM, it wouldn't feel out of place to have someone talk.

I hope when I start the game for the first time the KM and this cinematic have been rolled into one intro, with narration and proper intro. As a example: when Geralt and Vessemir ride away from the nilffaardian and the woman (from KM), they start discussing Yen's letter and then this cinematic rolls. This would make it clear why everyone is where they are.

Since Geralt is searching for two people, I wonder if there will be two paths to choose from: Ciri or Yennefer.

Be funny if they make you choose one, and the only way to get to the other path is from another playthrough. Which is not a bad thing for replay value.

Top Bottom