Watch The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt “The Trail” Opening Cinematic

+
Guys, it's probably just a part of the full intro cinematic ; don't forget games must be designed for newcomers too, and the world and story have to be told to them.
I'm sure CDProjekt didn't show all their cards yet, and we won't be disappointed by the final game

Oh yes, this has nothing to do with the quality of the game. Besides, for the final part in a trilogy, the outro is far more important than the intro.

The only things I can say I didn't like from the trailer were the flimsy, sped up, & unnatural animations, along with the music's vocals. The instrumental bits are good, but the cacophony of the female voices set my ears ablaze.

If there's anything wrong with this trailer, it is exactly what is happening now and where I think CDPR went wrong in this regard.

They shouldn't have released the opening cinematic because the game is still four months away. It was imo a bad call because unless it absolutely blows the mind away of everyone (which is basically next to impossible to achieve) they are stuck exactly where they are now. People complaining and criticizing. It would be so much different if the minute after this intro people could jump right into the game.

And that's the big difference and imo why people are more impressed with the cinematics of TW1 and TW2 because they had those games in hand and could jump right into the action. Here you are left with nothing but a feeling of waiting more.

Last edited:

IsengrimR

Guys, it's probably just a part of the full intro cinematic ; don't forget games must be designed for newcomers too, and the world and story have to be told to them.
I'm sure CDProjekt didn't show all their cards yet, and we won't be disappointed by the final game

I'll be dead honest here, CDPR is unable to really impress me with anything they released so far. Maybe I have very high expectations but of all the devs I would expect CDPR to actually deliver on them. Everything so far proves me wrong.

I'd advise however, before any of us render judgement, that we wait for the game to release. We'll see how it is then.

The issue is however, I can't see how this intro offers anything other than confusion to newcomers. I don't say CDPR should tailor their game to them, in fact I believe doing so is a recipe for disaster. However Witcher 1 intro told a story about Geralt from the books, it gave the player the idea about who and what he is, and later, unless they read the books so they knew, the information contained in the intro was shown to be important to the game.
Witcher's 2 intro is a prelude. The warm up. I gives you the idea of what is going on, that the kings are getting assassinated by some unknown group with impressive equipment.

I am lost as to what purpose does Witcher's 3 intro serves.

I mean, in the end, the intros to TW1 and TW2 were godly, this is merely adequate. So, while the point of it did what it needed to do some of you are making is valid, it does not automatically equate to it doing what it needed to do masterfully, like we, or at least I, have come to expect.

It gives you an idea of what's going on - a powerful sorceress is on the run and Geralt is looking for her. It's at least as informative as TW2's intro.

Yeah, the W3 is more personal to Geralt, so the intro is like the W2, a prelude.

But like everyone was saying, the W3 intro lacks information. Where as the W2 intro doesn't need any information because the trailer itself is self contained and well executed.

IsengrimR

It gives you an idea of what's going on - a powerful sorceress is on the run and Geralt is looking for her. It's at least as informative as TW2's intro.

Powerful sorceress casually strolls into a skirmish, kills some people, for unknown reason. Then runs off. Two Witchers are after her.
Questions:
Who is she? Yen.
Why is she on the run? Unknown, maybe feeling Nilfgaard. Maybe feeling wild hunt. Maybe both.
Why is she sane and not locked up by Nilfgaard? Unknown.

In Witcher 2, you have clearly a king that loves to watch his jesters, and loves to drink. He's on a boat! Everything seems fine, but of course some gigantic meatball bold guy crawls into a boat, throws a freezing grenade, kills 3 guards and one mage in an impressive display of skill and reflexses. Kills the king.
Questions:
Who's the king? Unknown, book readers recognise Aedirn.
Why is he getting murdered? Unknown.
Who's the bald meatball? Unknown, presumably a witcher, looking at Witcher's 1 outro.
How did he got the freezing grenade? Unknown.

-----
Witcher's 3 intro leaves me with a "Well, ok" on my mind. Witcher's 2 intro leaves me with "Who is backing the assassins? Why? Why witchers kill kings?". Witcher's 2 intro provides much context while raising more questions. Witcher's 3 intro looks cool and fits with the "Hunt" theme, but that's about it.

Sincere Feedback:

IT IS GREAT AND I LOVE IT A LOT!
But to be Honest, I expected it to be about the Wild Hunt, afterall it is The Witcher 3 - The Wild fricking Hunt.

I mean, "Follow the Trail" made me think of Geralt Tracking the Wild Hunt down south, and I somewhat expected the Hanged Man's Tree or something.

I mean in first game, The Witcher, the cinematic depicted just what Witchers are as well as the Reason Geralt became a famed Witcher. Explaining why your character is renowned even after 5 years of being "dead" and mysteriously coming back bereft of memory (knowing jack shit about the Witcher universe just like most players were expected to be).
Which was Relevant Cinematic.

The second game, Assassin of Kings shows the fricking Assassin of Kings Assassinating a fricking King.
Purely Relevant.

But to show both Geralt and His Mentor Tracking Yennefer, Geralt's looong lost love who has not made an appearance in the Previous games and in 5 and a half+ years in the witcher universe, makes no god damn sense, cause even in the Sword of Destiny Trailer, Geralt has his Romance scene with the well known Triss Merigold.
What the hell.
Where's the "Monster Hunting"!?

I thought these cinematics had something to do with the Title!!!

Might have just called it;
The Witcher 3 Love Triangle - Yennefer or Triss?

Oh, didn't see the new thread @gregski

Witcher 2, if you recall, didn't have a intro cinematic until EE, and when it got it, what did it reveal to a first time player who didn't play it before EE?

Actually, when we look at it objectively, Witcher 3 has so far been the game in the series for which we have the biggest pre-released info for, story or gameplay-wise, and whatever they would release, it wouldn't be enough (until they release the actual game, let's be honest here ). I'd say you (and the rest of the modern gaming audience that are used to expo's, conventions, betas and early accesses) are kinda spoiled, no hard feelings.

And cinematic was very well produced, for those who are complaining about the intro being too short, ask yourself how long would Letho intro last, if it wasn't for "bullet-time" slow mo sequences in the same cinematic. Guys and girls from CDPR did an awesome job, as far as I'm concerned.

^ Very much this.

Powerful sorceress casually strolls into a skirmish, kills some people, for unknown reason. Then runs off. Two Witchers are after her.

Unknown reasons? She got caught in the middle of a battle, one fighter tried to kill her, and then got in the way of a cavalry charge. It was all self defense in order not to get killed.

BTW, do you think she´s running from or towards something?

Maybe some trailer near the launch of the game, i'm more looking forward to the film of Platige Image, if it's actually getting made. (I have heard the rumours of confirmation through a facebook post, but have still to find anything official.)

Top Bottom