Water on 1.21 patch

+
Water on 1.21 patch

Hello!
If someone doesn't know, update 1.21 improves water (especially on Skellige). Here a small comparison and a few screenshots of the new water. In my opinion, now it looks muuuuuch better. :)

Why in changelog there is nothing about improved water? :youdontsay:

I knew I wasn't imagining this. It looks less reflective and more transparent. It's a pretty major improvement. I'm not sure but the wave/movement effects seem better too, or just more frequent.

The default ULTRA value for GlobalOceanTesselationFactor in the user.settings file is now 48. Don't kow why they reduced it if the water is supposed to look better, but i'll just put it back to 128. (64 was the previous default).

Last edited:
Is that a joke? They nerfed it to hell and back again! They removed nearly all reflections which makes it look horrible.

It looks good for what it does.

Still don't know why they decided to not have actual waves on the shores. Especially in Skellige, which is supposed to be in the middle of the ocean....

Water downgrade in night time appearance (patch 1.20/1.21)

Since patch 1.20 added new global water (wave physics (yay), tweaked appearance) I've found the night time appearance of water a considerable downgrade, while the day time appearance is mostly fine. I've posted about this also on NeoGAF with more comparison images.

Using Ultra settings at the same time of day and closest matching conditions I compared v1.12 to v1.21 below. Water at night is near-reflectionless, dull, less dark and with less contrast than it was. I'm stunned CDPR thought the properties of the new water at night looked fine in comparison.

Night time (1AM/Rain):

Daytime (6PM/Clear) for comparison (which looks fine):

Water is most definitely on Ultra settings currently, though initially it was set to Low following the patch which needed to be changed.

Are you using an env mod?

Because mine is set at Ultra as well and definitely doesn't like that (night or day time)

Hmmm weird , I would suggest repairing your game files.

I'm currently in Skellige and mine does not look like that

Hmmm weird , I would suggest repairing your game files.

I'm currently in Skellige and mine does not look like that

Do you have any screenshots during the night, especially during rain, and the day? From what I've seen of others' day time screenshots they look like mine.

I also verified my install at patch 1.10 and updated to 1.21 via the Galaxy client updater so not sure what would be wrong.

Do you have any screenshots during the night, especially during rain, and the day? From what I've seen of others' day time screenshots they look like mine.

I also verified my install at patch 1.10 and updated to 1.21 via the Galaxy client updater so not sure what would be wrong.

I have , but I'm currently at work - My day time water looks like your but that is because CDPR changed the water in 1.21 - But your night time water looks different , especially your first screenshot .... Something went wrong there.

I don't have time to go in and take more (I can do that later on though), but here are a few screenshots that I took before today. They seem perfectly fine to me (and definitely not like yours). There is definitely something fishy going on there. It wasn't rainy though, I should mention that.

Top Bottom