Way of the Witcher revealed!

+
Well, in any case I think Berengar is a cool card. He's a social witcher, :p can't live without his witcher bros.
That is actually the polar opposite to his behavior in The Witcher 1.
Berengar joins the Salamandra, helps them raid Kaer Morhen and steal the secrets of the Witchers and until his later character development only accuses the other witchers of being monsters, which stole his life.
Even in The Witcher 3 one can find a Sword he has hidden beforehand and both Geralt and Vesemir comment that Berengar has always been distanced to all of them (and as shown in The Witcher 1 even despises the other witchers, especially the Wolf School witchers).

If anything I would assume that this ability is, if even remotely reasonable, a reference to the fact that Berengar would run into his own doom, lead by his own hatred and fear of Azar Javed, if not for Geralt, who either changes or kills Berengar.

My Comments

Berengar

Actually funny, that a character who more or less hates the witchers for ruing his life is dependent on other witchers on the board.

Stolen Mutagens

Nice flexible card. You can use it as a removal for 4 point body or as a strong poisoner. If you take Blue it´s Fisstech + 1 coin for 1 provision more. Actually also going in line with Assault it heavily supports the Salamandra tag which I really appreciate as Salamandra was never a competitive strategy.

Junod of Belhaven

Welcome back old Vabjorn.

Griffin witcher mentor

Actually, drawing cards is an ability which is heavily connected to NG (Vicovaro Novice, Doadrick Leumaerts, Tactical Decision ), SY(Doadrick Leumaerts, Eavesdrop) and SK´s draw and discard (Heymaey Skald, Coral. Birna Bran). I do not like the idea of giving abilities linked to specific fractions to other ones as then the fractions lose their uniqueness.

Of course one can argue that every fraction can get access to draw via Neutral cards but must get rid of Devotion. Furthermore there´s the drawing leader of NR Pincer Maneuver which should be changed according to my mind.

The card is also very similiar to Vicovaro Novice, but is more expensive (1 provisions) and offers more upside potential due to Adrenaline.

General remarks
What I miss during this expansion until now is that old concept are not used again. Why is there no WotW devotion card, WotW scenario, WotW evolving card or WotW Rupture card.

I am sorry to say this but, this expansion seems like a giant middle finger to all the non SK players. Seriously the only hard decision a SK have to make is wich OP card he wants to play that day. Meanwile NG and ST that are in the mud recibe more meme cards for meme decks.

I have to tried to understand the devs decisions with this expansion but each card they pull out is either an SK buff or a joke to the rest of the factions.

If anything NG needs a buff to its points as NR has almost as much control as NG with huge point slam to boot; also, what are you talking about? There are no new lock and seize cards so far. ( not even commenting about MO )
And scoiatel? Bro what use does my engines have if nothing and I repeat nothing stays or is functional after one turn....try to stay objective here.
and gord is a stupid card giving scoiatel a free game most of the time, no matter how bad they played, I know how that sounds but man that's unfair

Holy moly that's an autoinclude for me :ok:
Post automatically merged:

And scoiatel? Bro what use does my engines have if nothing and I repeat nothing stays or is functional after one turn....try to stay objective here.
and gord is a stupid card giving scoiatel a free game most of the time, no matter how bad they played, I know how that sounds but man that's unfair

I too hate ST control, trust me. ST is one of the busted faction at the moment, right up with MO, NR and SK ( just that particular warrior deck/ lippy )

Another good card for Skellige, but Skellige has so many good cards, it probably won't be a card we will see on all decks.

I would like the other factions to receive, the love and attention that Skellige receives.

SK it's not the only faction with many good cards. I admith though that SK has many cards/leaders that works in a very synergistic way and that's why it feels "broken". There are a couple of SK decks that are unfun to play against ( and with, I assure you ) but this can be said just about any other faction and that's why I find the last statement really funny to read.

Guest 4375874

I am sorry to say this but, this expansion seems like a giant middle finger to all the non SK players. Seriously the only hard decision a SK have to make is wich OP card he wants to play that day. Meanwile NG and ST that are in the mud recibe more meme cards for meme decks.

I have to tried to understand the devs decisions with this expansion but each card they pull out is either an SK buff or a joke to the rest of the factions.
I hope you're joking about ST being in the mud lol

By that logic you would have to wonder why people do not use Harpie Egg, I mean come on it is a "free" 8 for 5 and here people complained about other 8 for 5s when Harpie Egg has always existed.
Consumes are not free, of course you want to use them, however you always expect the Consume itself to give you a certain value (which in an analysis you also have to (in part) allocate to the consume itself and the usual result is 1-2) and by your estimation OH would be worth 6 points as the Consumes would not have any value assigned to them, on that front one would wonder why people do not complain about OH not getting buffed.

Edit: For Consume decks he is also a +1str/+1provision version of Caldwell, which is completely unusable without an immediate Consume (so for that purpose I would say Berengar is actually an inferior Caldwell).

Agreed, I would also have prefered a slightly more restricted ceiling and much higher floor, being less of an "All or nothing" type of card (which is kind of binary).

I feel the need to point out Harpie's egg requires another card interaction to play for 8. That is not the same thing, that's a condition while Berengar in a witcher deck is almost unconditional. It's like giving a NG card a condition of "if a card has a status" which has always been downright ridiculous.

Last edited by a moderator:
[...]
It is the old Vabjorn ability and prior to his rework he saw only meme play, if even that, before SK Warriors became a thing in MM Vabjorn was (from my observations) among the least played Gold cards in the game.

[...]
I feel the need to point out Harpie's egg requires another card interaction to play for 8. That is not the same thing, that's a condition while Berengar in a witcher deck is almost unconditional.
Agreed, however my post was aimed at the statement that consuming him would still leave him as a 9 for 6 play, which is just wrong.

I too hate ST control, trust me. ST is one of the busted faction at the moment, right up with MO, NR and SK ( just that particular warrior deck/ lippy )
At least we agree on that one haha.....but i don't see how MO is overpowered

Yeah yeah.....now that's insult to injury for anyone who can't play ST this season, ST is completely broken, if anything it needs a nerf or less support

Last edited:

Guest 4375874

At least we agree on that one haha.....but i don't see how MO is overpowered

Yeah yeah.....now that's insult to injury for anyone who can't play ST this season, ST is completely broken, if anything it needs a nerf or less support
MO is a bit OP at the moment but only because of the changes made to scenarios. Literally nothing else in the supposed MO meta decks are new or improved cards and unlike other OP factions it's the exact same deck that you'll come across with the exact same leader. That's why ONLY Overwhelming Hunger is even performing well if you look at the recent stats. Take out Haunt and it goes right back to the bottom, which doesn't suggest to me that the faction is any better than it was before the last patch. That's my problem with the devs approach to MO, it's success has been hinging on a single card for the entirety of the past year.

MO is a bit OP at the moment but only because of the changes made to scenarios. Literally nothing else in the supposed MO meta decks are new or improved cards and unlike other OP factions it's the exact same deck that you'll come across with the exact same leader. That's why ONLY Overwhelming Hunger is even performing well if you look at the recent stats. Take out Haunt and it goes right back to the bottom, which doesn't suggest to me that the faction is any better than it was before the last patch. That's my problem with the devs approach to MO, it's success has been hinging on a single card for the entirety of the past year.
Well yeah kinda, everything except overwhelming Hunger decks aren't even playable, thrive is somewhat playable still as well but overall it needs more cards to switch up the play formula for MO decks, as a MO player myself I'm feeling getting bored playing those decks......that being said haunt is easily dealt with.
Oneiromancy into korathy heat or locking down my consume units etc.

Guest 4375874

So 10 for 8? Ok, I guess it makes space on the row but at the same time it works against kikimore queen. Usually with MO swarm you want to keep the tokens, not just to avoid tall removal but because supporting cards require it. Even if it could work with something like Plague Maiden it has adrenaline 3 so meh :think: Basically a better (questionable) version of Endrega Queen

Last edited by a moderator:
A giant centipede... nasty creatures, those. Yrden being effective against them will be perfectly in line with Witcher 3's worms.

Consumes all Tokens, so including Witcher Students. Poor children.

rrc

Forum veteran
A giant centipede... nasty creatures, those. Yrden being effective against them will be perfectly in line with Witcher 3's worms.

Consumes all Tokens, so including Witcher Students. Poor children.
I don’t know if MO will have any cards that would spawn Witcher Students token for them.. (Remember, it only consumes tokens on its row)

Top Bottom