Way of the Witcher revealed!

+
I doubt too much would be invested in this, after 2 turns the points it can possibly generate drops. It requires a perfect setup and the devs have encouraged players to expect huge point swings and immediate point generation too much. I don't see this being played much if at all
Saesenthesis does see some play.
Why would an objectively better version not see play ?

Saber-Tooth Tiger:
Also like the comparision with Saesenthessis, but would not argue that he´s a better version but a different version.
Pro: Can deal at max 2 damage if you run into specific opponents deck or in the beginning of a round or after move preparation.
Contra: Can not be boosted one turn, 1 less body, higher removal risk due to missing Immunity; Less valuable in harmony decks (dragon > beast)

Gyg

Forum regular
Tiger forces enemy to row stack. Add some damage dealing and it can be enabled many times.

[...]
Contra: Can not be boosted one turn, 1 less body, higher removal risk due to missing Immunity; Less valuable in harmony decks (dragon > beast)
Saesenthesis is vulnerable for an entire turn (including the opponent's phase), so removing the immunity temporarily is never a good move, given that all tall punish the opponent can have will target it, especially after getting boosted.
The 1 additional base strength is true.
Harmony decks are not the main aim anyways (and I do not think that any harmony deck is currently viable).

I think Sabertooth has been underestimated by many. It is a virtually unremovable 7 points; and even without synergy is powerful as first say or on blue coin making it much harder to protect engines from removal.

The Sabre-Tooth Tiger looks cool. Keep in mind you can turn him into his Stealth form on your every turn so the opponent can't kill it unless he/she has something to deal with artifacts.

By the way, noteworthy is also that EVERY faction still has a 9p slot free, directly next to their 9p mascot (e.g. Vypper, Salamander, (Koshchey?) and Sabre-Tooth Tiger), in some factions the card is also due to the placement already forced to be at 9p.
We also have not seen the "from skilled witchers to bloodthirsty monsters; and beyond, with iconic locations, as well as all new special cards" confirmed on the page of the expansion.

Edit: There is also such a space for a 9p Neutral.
Assuming everyone gets one the provision ranges are currently:
Neu: Exactly 9p
MO: 8-10p
NG: Exactly 9p
NR: 9-12p
ST: 8-9p
SK: 9-10p
SY: 7-9p

Edit2: ST also did not get their Cat Witcher Adept yet.

Last edited:
The Sabre-Tooth Tiger looks cool. Keep in mind you can turn him into his Stealth form on your every turn so the opponent can't kill it unless he/she has something to deal with artifacts.
aka Heatwave. That aside though, I can see some interesting interactions, for example if the opponent manages to remove a target after you switch to the artifact, which will effectively rob you of the 7 point value. I wonder which form goes into the deck?

aka Heatwave. That aside though, I can see some interesting interactions, for example if the opponent manages to remove a target after you switch to the artifact, which will effectively rob you of the 7 point value. I wonder which form goes into the deck?
If one's opponent uses Heatwave on this it trades up 1p and forces out Heatwave, I do not think anyone would hate making that trade.
According to Pumpkin the version that goes into the deck is the unit version.

If one's opponent uses Heatwave on this it trades up 1p and forces out Heatwave, I do not think anyone would hate making that trade.

The guy with the heatwave might :D

Edit: also, since the description starts with damage, I'm still wondering if this will trigger into beast form with no viable targets on the board.

rrc

Forum veteran
My take on the Saber: On rounds you go first, this can get decent value. At least break even in most cases. On rounds you go second this can even be potentially 7 for 9. With GT charge, this can get value, and only in GT this can get decent value. Otherwise opponents can easily play around it.

On blue coin opening with this is a good option and will put the opponent in a tight sport. Except for MO with Larva. To get +2 every round is very hard. It can achieve +2 for one or two rounds and after that it will be just an uninteractable 7 points on board. Getting +4 is nearly impossible as, even if you move a unit to the other row, the opponent will play a card in one of their rows and deny +4.

It can be a 9 for 9 or 11 for 9 in a few cases. But its actual use case is that, it will kind of force the opponent to row stack and that is where the actual strength of the card is. With Crushing Trap or Lacrete or Surrender, this card would have contributed to more points indirectly. Overall, a decent card which is playable only in GT decks.

My take on the Saber: On rounds you go first, this can get decent value. At least break even in most cases. On rounds you go second this can even be potentially 7 for 9. With GT charge, this can get value, and only in GT this can get decent value. Otherwise opponents can easily play around it.

On blue coin opening with this is a good option and will put the opponent in a tight sport. Except for MO with Larva. To get +2 every round is very hard. It can achieve +2 for one or two rounds and after that it will be just an uninteractable 7 points on board. Getting +4 is nearly impossible as, even if you move a unit to the other row, the opponent will play a card in one of their rows and deny +4.

It can be a 9 for 9 or 11 for 9 in a few cases. But its actual use case is that, it will kind of force the opponent to row stack and that is where the actual strength of the card is. With Crushing Trap or Lacrete or Surrender, this card would have contributed to more points indirectly. Overall, a decent card which is playable only in GT decks.
GT doesn't actually guarantee value here, since the damage/transformation into beast seems to occur at the start of the turn, so whatever you GT into position will have to wait until the next turn, and the opponent can easily play around it by adding another unit to that row.

rrc

Forum veteran
GT doesn't actually guarantee value here, since the damage/transformation into beast seems to occur at the start of the turn, so whatever you GT into position will have to wait until the next turn, and the opponent can easily play around it by adding another unit to that row.
GT can't guarantee +4, but it can guarantee a +2 at least once. Lets say we get red coin (in this case red coin is worse.. weird I know). Opponent plays Longship and you play Saber. Opponent plays An Craite Raiders on melee. Lets say you move the ship to ranged with GT and play (for the sake of it) Cat Witcher. Now, the opponent plays any card in any row and because of GT's one charge, Saber gets +2 at least. Without the GT's charge in the beginning, on red coin, the Saber would have played for a wholesome of 7 for 9 the entire round. With GT's charge, it at least gets +2.

I know it is very inefficient to use a leader charge in R1, but at least it gets +2 (and indirectly another +2 or something since, most likely the opponent will abandon one row). Saber and GT will put the opponent in a tight spot even though they are not getting more points. Another interesting theory is, as your second card (after you move Ship to range), you play Dunka. Now the opponent wants to kill it. If he uses Stunning Blow, both the units in both the rows will get damaged. So, would he play a unit to save the damage or will kill Dunka? (He can play Vabjorn for a stunning blow, but it loses him the opportunity to play it Champion's Charge or even Blood Eagle later).

#justTheoryPlaying :)

Guest 4375874

I mean no one will waste heatwave on it but to fully realize those 11 points you have to avoid armor, shields, tokens and also play this card first. When you activate it's order you then lose 7 pts for that turn while it's an artifact. The design is cool but not greedy enough to see much play

The reveal page now confirms that the cat is a unit in the deckbuilder, and solves the mystery of why Scoia'tael has new 11 cards when the others only have 10 (minus tokens).

No it doesn't. Ignore me.

The reveal page now confirms that the cat is a unit in the deckbuilder, and solves the mystery of why Scoia'tael has new 11 cards when the others only have 10 (minus tokens).
I told you it had to be a transformed card, there was no other solution they used before :).

GT can't guarantee +4, but it can guarantee a +2 at least once. Lets say we get red coin (in this case red coin is worse.. weird I know). Opponent plays Longship and you play Saber. Opponent plays An Craite Raiders on melee. Lets say you move the ship to ranged with GT and play (for the sake of it) Cat Witcher. Now, the opponent plays any card in any row and because of GT's one charge, Saber gets +2 at least. Without the GT's charge in the beginning, on red coin, the Saber would have played for a wholesome of 7 for 9 the entire round. With GT's charge, it at least gets +2.

I know it is very inefficient to use a leader charge in R1, but at least it gets +2 (and indirectly another +2 or something since, most likely the opponent will abandon one row). Saber and GT will put the opponent in a tight spot even though they are not getting more points. Another interesting theory is, as your second card (after you move Ship to range), you play Dunka. Now the opponent wants to kill it. If he uses Stunning Blow, both the units in both the rows will get damaged. So, would he play a unit to save the damage or will kill Dunka? (He can play Vabjorn for a stunning blow, but it loses him the opportunity to play it Champion's Charge or even Blood Eagle later).

#justTheoryPlaying :)
GT works for that, yes, but since you're not doing it in the same turn, why use GT at that point when you can just dragoon or Malena or MAKE A JOKE :D?
Speaking of jokes, I just looked and the beast is listed as 9p card, while the artiface is listed as a 10p card on the site lol

• RED Point
Reactions: rrc
Top Bottom