Waypoint markers and immersion

+
Can we disable waypoint markers?

Assassin's Creed recently announced a 'exploration mode' which guides players via clues vs waypoint markers. This is a big deal in my opinion; AC always has intricately designed cities you'd generally gloss over as you make your way to the next waypoint.

Night City is gigantic and full of verticality. I'm not sure disabling waypoints is viable; it could make the game unplayable.

It's actually a good question which I'm sure somebody will give you a proper answer but they're still working on the game so some changes are possible on this stage.

Some markers make sense, at least those pointing at known geographic locations or at people who want you to find them. After all, we have these abilities right now in 2018 using mobile phones and a location marker is just what we can do now, but projected into some kind of Head Up Display.

According to the Dev Q&A thread "A lot of HUD elements (including damage numbers) will be optional.". What exactly that encompasses isn't quite clear yet, as far as I know...maybe you'll get rid of waypoints, maybe not.

Either way, I think it'd work well enough if it just tells you an approximate location (e.g. "close to the train station"), although you'd obviously spend some more time searching.
...or you could just get a map marker and you go from there ^^

According to the Dev Q&A thread "A lot of HUD elements (including damage numbers) will be optional.". What exactly that encompasses isn't quite clear yet, as far as I know...maybe you'll get rid of waypoints, maybe not.

^This. Marcin said "a lot" of the HUD is customizable. Since the inventory UI includes a GPS, it's probable that we could find locations without the quest markers. If I had to guess I'd say it's 60/40 they will be optional. But obviously we'll have to wait and see.

It would be downright embarassing if Ubisoft manages to outdo CDPR at more immersive exploration.

I mean...bloody Ubisoft! :p

Meredith did give player direct instructions on the meeting point, so there is some room for optimism here.
They could do something similar here: place a map "ping" showing certain radius/location and let player's eyes/brain handle the rest. And ( Night ) City should already be chock-full with landmarks for easy navigation.
Except in few circumstances, it could very well work here.

I do hope that they are optional for the people who prefer to not have any sort of UI and such, but I hope for those who want it that they are very useful & futuristic.

I personally feel that highly detailed maps, way points, auto-indexing public locations, saving locations to a map, etc don't conflict with immersion but rather add to it in a cyberpunk (or more futuristic) game, at least for me. Not having those to me sounds like never using a GPS or map ever again because that would immerse me more into RL. That is not for me, I am absolutely sure that there are people who do prefer that, and I wouldn't dream of forcing them to use guidance if they don't want to.

It would be downright embarassing if Ubisoft manages to outdo CDPR at more immersive exploration.

But in a cyberpunk future, how is a marker for geographic & personal location information in a HUD not immersive? (unless I misunderstand you)

After all, if you can get someone's realtime location (if they share it) on your smart phone right now in 2018...

But in a cyberpunk future, how is a marker for geographic & personal location information in a HUD not immersive? (unless I misunderstand you)

After all, if you can get someone's realtime location (if they share it) on your smart phone right now in 2018...
Yeah. I don't understand this whole immersion argument for a futuristic game. Literally everybody uses a GPS to get around today - if anything, it's more realistic to have this sort of stuff.

Of course, I'm not against it being optional, but the days of "walk to the underpass and look for the fat cat sitting on the fence, then take a right past the rusty fire hydrant" are long since past even in our modern era, much less 2077.

Agreed, in this game immersion is not the issue generally (because many HUD elements have an in world explanation). I just like a clean HUD.

Agreed, in this game immersion is not the issue generally (because many HUD elements have an in world explanation). I just like a clean HUD.

I'm the opposite, sort of. I don't like a messy HUD, but I like to have all necessary information on my screen. When possible, my tracked quest (like the Witcher 3 and in MMOs), my ammo count, my minimap, and what items I have equipped for my d-pad or number keys, in the case of something like Dark Souls.

So, about 80-85% of my screen is free, but 15-20% is taken up by information. You seem to fall into the camp of 90-95% screen, which is understandable.

I sincerely hope we can both be catered to, and that CDPR doesn't just force the "immersion" thing on everybody.

When possible, my tracked quest (like the Witcher 3 and in MMOs), my ammo count, my minimap, and what items I have equipped for my d-pad or number keys, in the case of something like Dark Souls.
In cyberpunk context, I'll probably think about it like this. IRL, would it annoy my character if she had to look at her ammo count all the time? Yes. Gone.

The compass may make it. Ammo too. We shall see