"We can make V speak any supported language and keep the rest of the game in English!" Clarified: Misunderstanding.

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
According to a Reddit post, which has a screenshot of a Facebook messenger conversation with the official Cyberpunk account, Cyberpunk 2077 will let us choose V's language while keeping the rest of the game in English.
1575610845965.png

Whether or not this also means we can set English subtitles, I don't know. I also don't know how or if this will work with translation Cyberware.

It's possible that the Community Manager misunderstood the question here or misspoke, and it's also possible the question asker misspoke, but if this is true, it's great news.

Credit for the Reddit post goes to u/RobberTaco. Post can be viewed here: https://www.reddit.com/r/cyberpunkgame/comments/e6r5bp
If possible, it'd be great to get official Red clarification on this, but I'd also like to discuss the idea with everyone.

Seems like a misunderstanding. They've gone through the trouble of making a language translator to help build game world logic, and then introduce something that completely breaks that?

Yeah, it does sound more than a little odd. I'd think it simply means it'll be possible to have audio and text in different languages -- all audio, not just V's. Which really wouldn't be surprising.

Definitely need clarification on this.

Seems like a misunderstanding. They've gone through the trouble of making a language translator to help build game world logic, and then introduce something that completely breaks that?
I don't think it breaks it, necessarily. I read this more as "you can have V speak X language, and all other language will operate as normal." I.E. Creole will still be creole without the translator, and so on.

I interpreted this specifically as a way for you to roleplay a different nationality for V.

Again, assuming it's accurate, which it might not be.

I'm a bit confused as to why this would be a feature. Surely, even if everyone in Night City is bilingual it's not likely that they will all speak the same language as V, and if they did, why would they continue to respond in a language V apparently doesn't know?

Maybe I've misunderstood?

I'm a bit confused as to why this would be a feature. Surely, even if everyone in Night City is bilingual it's not likely that they will all speak the same language as V, and if they did, why would they continue to respond in a language V apparently doesn't know?

Maybe I've misunderstood?

Logically, of course this would not be a "feature," if this were the real world of a very realism-focused video game.

After all, I might speak English, but if I move to Russia, I'm going to be communicating with an overwhelming majority of Russian people. That's not a magical life moment, it's just expected.

However, in a video game? It's certainly very unique. The ability to have your character seemingly optionally speak a different language than the rest of your game's nationalization -- I.E., V speaking Japanese but everyone that would normally speak English speaking English, and translated language (via Cyberware) being converted to English -- is something I've never seen in a video game before.

There are a lot of reasons this CDPR employee may have simply misunderstood the question, and this information is all just misleading. To name a few: It might break immersion if every character can magically understand you while you speak Russian (do they ALL have translator chips?), and it might be tricky for CDPR to add in all the options it would need for V's voice-over and V's subtitles. But if it's true, very cool!

Thanks to @Rivenhedi for posting the update. A friend of mine shared it with me on Discord earlier today, but I hadn't gotten around to sharing it here yet.

I can't say it's a disappointment since the "feature" never existed in the first place, but it would have been quite cool.

Edited thread title to reflect it was a misunderstanding. Going to close thread so as to reduce confusion.

To be clear: Voice-Over language change will be reflected in entire game, not just V.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom