We need depromote counters against NR and Phillipa Eilheart ASAP

+
We need depromote counters against NR and Phillipa Eilheart ASAP

Basically everything in this game has a counter attack, except Phillipa Eilheart and the promote/copy/adrenaline rush strategy NR decks are using. The way to solve this is to create a few depromote neutral counters which work on a card itself and on entire rows. That way if the opponent wants to play buff, copy, adrenaline rush you can also counter by keeping scorch and the depromote cards and wait until next round and have a chance to revert the situation. Also Philippa Eilheart should have the same effect it has now but just like weather it should be cancelled if a depromote card is used on the row she's in and she should end up silver and vulnerable to wound cards. No matter how much you like your little scheme NR players, you wouldn't agree with weather cards in the game and no clear skies and we all know that's the truth. The promote and Philippa Eilheart counters need to be there or the game is simply broken. I'll wait until they're introduced to keep playing NR, until then NR decks get an insta forfeit from me.

Phillipa Eilheart is vicious, so far I have ONLY been able to counter it with card advantage.

iMorbit;n6895200 said:
Phillipa Eilheart is vicious, so far I have ONLY been able to counter it with card advantage.

iMorbit;n6895200 said:

No card advantage will help when the NR player adrenaline rushes and copies a super buffed pair of gold cards in first round and then totally wrecks any commander's horn combo you try to pull to save yourself in the second round with Phillipa Eilheart, and you have NO WAY of doing anything about it. It's just as if you had weather but no clear skies, it's totally broken. If we had depromote cards we would be able to bait people just like we do with scorch or clear skies now and then people would be wary and stop abusing this scheme. It could still be a thing used by NR players but not to this abusive extent.

ManuW3;n6895240 said:
No card advantage will help when the NR player adrenaline rushes and copies a super buffed pair of gold cards in first round and then totally wrecks any commander's horn combo you try to pull to save yourself in the second round with Phillipa Eilheart, and you have NO WAY of doing anything about it. It's just as if you had weather but no clear skies, it's totally broken. If we had depromote cards we would be able to bait people just like we do with scorch or clear skies now and then people would be wary and stop abusing this scheme. It could still be a thing used by NR players but not to this abusive extent.
Sure card advantage helps, you just drop this

kuosi;n6895540 said:

kuosi;n6895540 said:

I had forgotten about the d-bomb, hadn't thought about it, good call. Still we need something against the buff/adrenaline rush/promote/copy thing. It's hard to keep card advantage on second round when you need to invest everything trying to win the first.

ManuW3;n6895090 said:
Basically everything in this game has a counter attack, except Phillipa Eilheart and the promote/copy/adrenaline rush strategy NR decks are using. The way to solve this is to create a few depromote neutral counters which work on a card itself and on entire rows. That way if the opponent wants to play buff, copy, adrenaline rush you can also counter by keeping scorch and the depromote cards and wait until next round and have a chance to revert the situation. Also Philippa Eilheart should have the same effect it has now but just like weather it should be cancelled if a depromote card is used on the row she's in and she should end up silver and vulnerable to wound cards. No matter how much you like your little scheme NR players, you wouldn't agree with weather cards in the game and no clear skies and we all know that's the truth. The promote and Philippa Eilheart counters need to be there or the game is simply broken. I'll wait until they're introduced to keep playing NR, until then NR decks get an insta forfeit from me.
I'm a NR player myself and I don't even use clear sky card, to counter Phillppa you can use card advantage that nr players loose when buff first round and drop dimeritum bom at the end, or just spam weather to prevent buffing.

Dant3s15;n6895670 said:
I'm a NR player myself and I don't even use clear sky card, to counter Phillppa you can use card advantage that nr players loose when buff first round and drop dimeritum bom at the end, or just spam weather to prevent buffing.

Dant3s15;n6895670 said:

So the D-Bomb would work even on the buffed gold cards? So I could technically pass on the first round, allow the guy to do his silly shit and then wait until the last bit of the second round and reduce all those cards back to their original value? Is that correct?

ManuW3;n6895780 said:
So the D-Bomb would work even on the buffed gold cards? So I could technically pass on the first round, allow the guy to do his silly shit and then wait until the last bit of the second round and reduce all those cards back to their original value? Is that correct?
No, it won't work, the trick is to prevent NR from buffing anything, you can use bomb on him just after he copied it with foltest or to get back what you lost with Philippa

Dant3s15;n6895800 said:
No, it won't work, the trick is to prevent NR from buffing anything, you can use bomb on him just after he copied it with foltest or to get back what you lost with Philippa

Dant3s15;n6895800 said:

Could be useful against Phillipa, however I already tried it against the copy strategy and it didn't work, he just kept doing his thing and eventually ended the turn with adrenaline rushed super buffed cards nonetheless. Even with weather they can still continue buffing and eventually get away with what they want.

The current card pool simply lacks the interaction required to counter graveyard resurrection decks. Monsters have few units that can hamper the abuse, but one of those is random and the other comes with a body too fragile to actually make a difference. If the griffin who switches cards between GY would be immune to weather effects then that card would actually be worthy of playing in a monster deck. Still, doesn't solve the problem for any other faction.

We need some neutral graveyard hate.

trulez;n6896440 said:
The current card pool simply lacks the interaction required to counter graveyard resurrection decks. Monsters have few units that can hamper the abuse, but one of those is random and the other comes with a body too fragile to actually make a difference. If the griffin who switches cards between GY would be immune to weather effects then that card would actually be worthy of playing in a monster deck. Still, doesn't solve the problem for any other faction.

We need some neutral graveyard hate.

Graveyard strategies are powerful but not OP as hell as buff, adrenaline rush, promote copy and then adding Philippa Eilheart to the mix. If you want tactics against graveyard strategies win the first round and keep a scorch and weather for last round and you're pretty much set.

The buff/adrenaline rush/promote of the NR doesn't bother me too much, since you can tell it's coming and can interrupt it, and for both players that comes down to having drawn the cards for that strategy. But related to this, I don't see why NR, who has this promote strategy, is the Faction with Dijkstra and Kaedweni Sergeant, who can convert Gold to Silver. It seems to me there should be access for the other Factions for that conversion ability to keep things balanced, and unless I'm overlooking a card, there isn't. Perhaps a neutral "conversion" card would be my suggestion.

SolarasMind;n6897240 said:
The buff/adrenaline rush/promote of the NR doesn't bother me too much, since you can tell it's coming and can interrupt it, and for both players that comes down to having drawn the cards for that strategy. But related to this, I don't see why NR, who has this promote strategy, is the Faction with Dijkstra and Kaedweni Sergeant, who can convert Gold to Silver. It seems to me there should be access for the other Factions for that conversion ability to keep things balanced, and unless I'm overlooking a card, there isn't. Perhaps a neutral "conversion" card would be my suggestion.

SolarasMind;n6897240 said:

In my experience, when they have started this process is very hard to stop it because even if you play weather they can still buff and if you scorch they can bring back the cards. I already tried blasting them with all I had and somehow they resurrected the card, buffed it at the same time and ended up leaving like 30 power for next round when I was already depleted. If I hadn't blasted them with all I had (i'm talking weather, scorch, D bomb ) they would have easily have gone up to the hundreds for the second round .This already happened to me that They had 80 power for second round, I reached them with resurrect and commander's horn and oh surprise, their last card was Phillipa and I was screwed all the same. There's no discussion here, we need depromote counters. I gladly heard CDPR are working on them. Hopefully finished product will be nicely balanced thanks to all of us here having to suffer through a still unbalanced game. I'm quite happy to be on lvl 10 already, not playing that much and not spending any money on it.

ManuW3;n6897600 said:
There's no discussion here, we need depromote counters.

I would certainly not be opposed to other depromote counters as well. Currently, I've had the most success against the NR promote combo with the Scoia'tael and Skellige decks with either built with a focus to destroy/disrupt the opposition's field. Lots of point cards, and damaging neutrals, that will attack the opposition and reduce their value and/or wipe the off the board. Basically, if I'm matched against a NR, I go in with the plan to disrupt whatever they try to do. But, I definitely feel the disadvantage against the promote combo if playing Monsters or NR, myself.

But, I see what you are saying about it being difficult to disrupt. If you can't disrupt the combo early enough, and sometimes repetitively, you can be screwed. I'd second some of the suggestions I've seen such as not having Foltest copy the Adrenaline Rush and/or Promote not making all copies Gold. Maybe a little of both: take away something from NR and create a useful neutral counter??

SolarasMind;n6898000 said:
I would certainly not be opposed to other depromote counters as well. Currently, I've had the most success against the NR promote combo with the Scoia'tael and Skellige decks with either built with a focus to destroy/disrupt the opposition's field. Lots of point cards, and damaging neutrals, that will attack the opposition and reduce their value and/or wipe the off the board. Basically, if I'm matched against a NR, I go in with the plan to disrupt whatever they try to do. But, I definitely feel the disadvantage against the promote combo if playing Monsters or NR, myself.

But, I see what you are saying about it being difficult to disrupt. If you can't disrupt the combo early enough, and sometimes repetitively, you can be screwed. I'd second some of the suggestions I've seen such as not having Foltest copy the Adrenaline Rush and/or Promote not making all copies Gold. Maybe a little of both: take away something from NR and create a useful neutral counter??

SolarasMind;n6898000 said:

Exactly. You see when Scoiatel does the same scheme with the Hawker support (and many do ) I don't feel it's so unfair because you at least have a chance to hit their unit on the second round with some wound cards/weather, whether with NR they're gold so you're fcked.

--- Updated 07-11-16, 01:24 ---

Here's a good example of what I'm saying. Even the guy in the video admits it's just stupid and that players always directly forfeit. When something is so OP and so abusive even the player using it feels a bit of shame about it you know it's gotta be nerfed. I kept Skellige storm in my deck for a while to counter precisely this but the problem is basically that I ended up not getting an NR opponent in like 6 matches and skellige storm was really useless for me against other factions. It doesn't work if you need a deck specially made to counter this monstrosity but is useless against everyone else.

[video=youtube;BmvX824Mv-Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmvX824Mv-Y[/video]

Last edited:
Top Bottom