Weapon choice

+
Question: Suppose I have say, a Nowaki common which does 102 dps, and an uncommon one that does 96 dps. I'm about to scrap or sell one of them. Plain numbers tell me that the common one is better because it does more damage. But is there something else behind the scenes? Perhaps the uncommon one is more upgradeable or something, making it potentially better to keep? I have noticed that the lesser the weapon, the cheaper it is to upgrade, this would also be in favor of keeping the common one. So is there a good reason that makes the uncommon one better despite appearances?

So for make it quick :)
The "real" difference between common/uncommon, rare, epic and legendary (other than iconic ones), it's the number of mod slots (more mods, it's always better). 0 for commom/uncommom, 1 for rare, 2 for epic and 4 for legendary.

If you find a rare weapon with no mod slot, it's not "really" better than a common one (at the same level). A rare one without mod slot will deal the same damage than a common one (if you upgrade both at max). But the rare will "cost" rare components instead of common/uncommon components only for a common weapon). So yeah, a rare/epic weapon with no mod slots, you can sell/dismantle it :)

In short, if you are level 50 (max), you take a common Lexington and upgrade it at max, it will deal the same damage than a legendary one also upgraded at max. But the legendary could have 4 mod slots, so with mods you can increase crit chance, crit damage, "base" damage, avoid the recoil, fire rate,...

PS : DPS won't said the gun is "better". You have to look the "base" damage at first. An overture with silencer (for example) have high "base" damage, high head shot bonus and low fire rate. So overture have pretty low DPS, but you can one shot enemies easily with head shot. It depend how you play.

(I hope it's a little bit "more" clear :) )

Edit :
The same goes for clothes. Let's say you find a common jacket (no mod slot of course) but you like it. You can dismantle (or sell) any rare one who doesn't have mod slot that you find (and look worse). You just need to upgrade your common jacket as you level up so that it keeps an equivalent armor value.
On the other hand, if you find a rare jacket with a mod slot, It could be good to keep the rare for put a mod in it. You could add more armor, more movement speed or more resistance for example.

So the "very" important thing is "mod slots" :)

Last edited:
Hey thanks a lot this was very clarifying.
In the example, both weapons have the same slots so the common one would be the one to keep...

Of course. As soon as something better comes along, a new choice will be made.
However, one more thing: Are all same-class weapons essentially the same? I mean, for example, you find two Kenshins, one does 40 damage, the other does 80 damage (never mind the rarity, common uncommon etc., as that has already been clarified above). Does this mean that the 40 dmg gun is merely less upgraded than the 80 dmg, and can become equal to it eventually with enough upgrades; OR there is an additional "factory quality" factor so not all guns are created equal. Such that, the 40 dmg can be upgraded but never reach the 80 dmg when both a fully upgraded? I hope you follow my reasoning.
This comes up when sometimes you receive an iconic weapon which has quite a low damage output and is substantially inferior to similar weapons of an ordinary type. For example I almost never use the Satori katana because typically it comes with low damage and ordinary katanas (not to mention other iconics) frequently have vastly superior damage. Can the Satori be upgraded to a point where it reaches those other weapons, or it is inherently inferior and will always trail behind? If the latter is true, one can avoid investing materials in upgrading it.

However, one more thing: Are all same-class weapons essentially the same? I mean, for example, you find two Kenshins, one does 40 damage, the other does 80 damage (never mind the rarity, common uncommon etc., as that has already been clarified above). Does this mean that the 40 dmg gun is merely less upgraded than the 80 dmg, and can become equal to it eventually with enough upgrades; OR there is an additional "factory quality" factor so not all guns are created equal. Such that, the 40 dmg can be upgraded but never reach the 80 dmg when both a fully upgraded? I hope you follow my reasoning.
Yep, the "weakest" one can be upgraded at the same level than the "strongest". The strongest one is probably near or at the same level as you (from 40 dmg to 80 dmg by upgrading it, for sure).

The only differences between them could be "effect" damage (electric/physic/thermal/poison) and "maybe" the additional "stats" like crit chance, crit damage, ricochet bonus damage, head shot damage (but these additionel "stats" are also increased by upgrading). I short, wathever where the weapon start, if you upgrade them at max possible (your level), they will deal the same damages (or almost).

The strongest point is :
If you upgrade the weakest, it will become the same as the "strongest", but it cost components. But as you have certainly noticed, upgrading cost is increased each time. So maybe if there is a very big difference between them, it could be "good" to pick up the "strongest", it will cost less for the futur upgrades :)

Satori is an exception ;)
It deal less "base" damages but it have an "giant" crit damage bonus (like more than 300% and even more than 600% at high level). It's his special ability ;)
With a build where you have 80% - 100% of crit chance (so almost everytime), it become an absolute devastating katana...
Post automatically merged:

To take a (simple) example for two similar weapons:
- At level 10, you find a cool rare Lexington with one mod slot.
- At level 20, you find the exact same Lexington with one mod slot.

> If you haven't upgraded the first one (lvl 10), obviously the second one (lvl 20) deal more damages and maybe have better additional stats.
> If you have upgraded the first one, it will be no difference or almost between them.

However when you will upgrade them at the level 21, the first one who you already have upagraded 10 times, will cost many more components.
So you can choose to keep the second one (lvl 20), to start with a "fresh" upgrade cost.
Or if you prefer the color of the first one (lvl 10) and/or don't bother about components (because you buy them or have plenty), you can keep the first one, it remains as powerful as the second one (when upgraded at your level).

Last edited:
I know I'm late to this thread but this is the closest I could find to what I want. I wish cdpr would add more silencer slots to some of their weapons. Or add more weapon types that can be silenced. Not much variety when it comes to stealth with guns.

I know I'm late to this thread but this is the closest I could find to what I want. I wish cdpr would add more silencer slots to some of their weapons. Or add more weapon types that can be silenced. Not much variety when it comes to stealth with guns.
Go ahead and make your own thread in SUGGESTIONS asking for more weapons with a silencer slot for the Reds to consider. You have my vote.

Top Bottom