Weapon Degradation

+

Weapon Degradation

• Total voters
Not sure. I'm currently playing Fallout 3 and its system is annoying the hell out of me. In general I find that most busy-work stuff in video games tends to be annoying and seriously harms the flow. For instance, both in Skyrim and Fallout 3 I gave myself unlimited inventory room as well as merchants unlimited money, because I found that these original restrictions did nothing to my enjoyment and just caused me to waste a lot of time jumping back and forth, or exiting to windows and going back to the game so merchants will have their money restored.

But I'm getting off topic.

I have bad experience, but maybe they'll get it right. I hear Dark Souls does it in a good way? Never played.

@eliharel

Yeah I hear you, but good thing in fallout was that you could repair all weapons in the field if you had spare parts or a perk, I think there won't be something similar in TW3, so I hope weapon maintenance will not be required too often, resulting in breaking my flow of exploring the world just so I can get back to the smithy and have this piece of beautiful iron or silver repaired.

Personally I'll be fine with option 3 in the poll, but if that isn't the case, I don't want degradation.

I'm in the same boat with @eliharel. I thought the degredation system--while neat--did not enhance my enjoyment of the game, the specific reason is because weapons degraded far too quickly.

One of my favorite series, STALKER, also uses a degredation system, in the original game you couldn't repair equipment but in the later titles you are able to repair all of your equipment for a price. I was much more okay with it than the Fallout 3 one because it took longer for equipment to degrade and you often had room for two or three main weapons to replace your degraded weapons to prevent the need to visit town often.

If it takes a considerable amount of fighting/hours to degrade a sword then I won't have a problem with it, but regardless of what's finally implemented I'll formulate a different opinion after playing it. :)

Thanks for the link as well OP!

Last edited:
Yes, because that add realism to the combat and mechanic of the game.
i has already played many games with this mechanic and this improves my experience, and if it degrade faster, then better.
The system in fallout 3 is one of my favorites, because you need alway another weapon at least with you, and it is very expensive to repair, sometimes you don't get enough money and you need to swap weapons for a long time.
If you have a sword that never broke, when you get a new weapon that is better, you sell the old one, because "why the fuck i need this, if i have this ?"

Last edited:
Not sure. I'm currently playing Fallout 3 and its system is annoying the hell out of me. In general I find that most busy-work stuff in video games tends to be annoying and seriously harms the flow. For instance, both in Skyrim and Fallout 3 I gave myself unlimited inventory room as well as merchants unlimited money, because I found that these original restrictions did nothing to my enjoyment and just caused me to waste a lot of time jumping back and forth, or exiting to windows and going back to the game so merchants will have their money restored.

But I'm getting off topic.

I have bad experience, but maybe they'll get it right. I hear Dark Souls does it in a good way? Never played.

I wouldn't necessarily say that its done in a good way. Dark Souls has it but its not annoying since it takes a lot to break a weapon. There is an enemy that spits acid that accelerates it, but you only encounter them in a couple spots.

Dark Souls 2 has(had?) a glitch where playing at 60FPS doubles the damage your weapon takes, which turned out to be really annoying if you want to use low durability weapons.

Sken

Forum veteran
I'm sure its implementation will make sense and contribute to enhancing the immersion.

I don't see it breaking/degrading frequently, requiring repair of your swords every hour, i.e 100 times in a standard playthrough.

I'm inclined to think degradation will occur when you parry a superior weapon, i.e a hit from the sword of a Wild Hunt soldier, or the anchor from the Ice Giant.

Well I'm pretty sure PC gamers have nothing to worry about since there definitely will be some mod.

It really depends on how they do it whether or not I think it's a good idea or not. I agree that it has the potential to add to the immersion of the game, but if you have to do it too frequently it would get annoying.

EDIT: Apparently weapons don't break if they're not repaired. Instead they just become "dull" and deal less damage. It sounds a little bit like Monster Hunter's system.

Last edited:
Total Yes! Geralt as a character was really interested in knowing more about swords, smithing etc I remember his discussions with Zoltan about Mahakam swords. I also enjoy going now and there to the Blacksmith and seeing if he's got any new interesting piece

If the weapons are getting dull in time and not completely broken, then I'm thrilled with this feature. It adds so much to the immersion from my point of view. Because if you use a sword against armor, or other strong weapons, it will logically get duller in time. It will be chipped and everything. So if the damage output of the swords would get increasingly less the longer you use them, that would be great. Of course it would be even better if it would get dull faster when you are fighting with enemies with stronger armors and so on. And like I said, the weapons should not break altogether (because that won't happen even slightly frequently logically). Just get duller and duller up to the point that it won't do enough damage.

I did read they can be destroyed, if not and just losing dmg potential until becoming dull could be a nice implementaiton if it's not a constant mechanic.

It would be cool if when your weapon is just about to break you decide to swing it against an armored foe, and the weapon literally smashes and breaks apart onscreen due to the impact. Then you're left with a stump of metal and you're forced to run-

But nah, that's probably not going to happen. The Lady of the Lake wouldn't be pleased if that happened to Aerondight, and there are other legendary weapons to think about. Far more likely weapons will just degrade to a "useless state" or at least lose damage output over time. If the weapon can last a good while before doing so, then I'm game.

A system which we know nothing about how it works, I think it'll probably only degrade if you parry, block etc and not with simple hits. It would somewhat make sense.

Top Bottom