Weapon Degradation

+

Weapon Degradation

• Total voters
I'm ok with weapon degradation system but only if it will be like that: weapon lose its damage grade when degradation level will hit certain amount. So, lets say weapon has 90% degaradation - there is no any damage penalty. Weapon has 70% degradation - the same. But if the degradation level will hit 50% or 40% or any other amount than the weapon's damage will suffer some penalty. It also can be multy leveled (50% degradation = 50% damage penalty, 40%=40% etc.)
I meant I dont want to have 99% degradation weapon and weapon inflict 99% damage and so on.

Last edited:
I see this whole feature as CDPR's try to prevent players from leveling-up/grinding their levels by just wandering around the world and killing all the random npcs/monsters. It might be a good balance between leveling-up and spending money on upgrades/fixing weapons.

Just what I mean.

Majority of people see a crazy boy being ridiculous.

I see a brave boy who make his dream real and doesn't care about people opinion.

In the industry world, CDPR have been the odd crazy company who wanted games with no DRM, who wanted to make the game they dreamed dispite the market stadistics, and who enjoy making their game the best game. I doubt that CDPR will ruin their game but adding a close realistic (never it'll be realistic) degradation of sword if that doesn't apporting any fun.

The important thing is not What but How

Last edited:
And by the way...
If degradation of weapon is realistic, so how about degradation of armor? I didnt hear any mentions about that.
How can you hit somting with sword, get sword degradation but somthing remains undamaged?
Yes, you can hit the wall with your head and the head will suffer not wall, but with sword....the wall will feel the impact and will degrade as well)))
Degradation should be spreaded on all equipment IMHO

There's 2 styles I'd like to see and they're both different depending on whether it's your armor or weapon.

Armor: Is always going to need to be repaired or replaced from constantly taking the hits the skin isn't. Buckles, straps, etc. are going to become loose, and if left unattended they're going to snap or break, causing the piece it's holding on to become dangerously loose. Then there is the generally state of the metal or leather. Leather would no to be sewn back together where it has been punctured or that segment replaced. Metal would be reforged or replaced. The prior would be mostly time based or wear-and-tear, the latter, or "big" damage, would be sudden and related to critical hits. If you're hit by a giant enough times, your metal armor is going to be dented. Would prefer it to be verbal warnings, so "left should strap is loose, very loose, broken", having multiple stages and "chest protecter is broken".

Sword: Similar to armor it'd have small damage and large damage, wear-and-tare vs. traumatic encounter. Swords get dull and chipped the more you use them, unless it's made of Mithril, Adamantium, Valyrian steel alloy: very sharp, sharp, dull, very dull, large butter knife . Then there is the big damage like a broken cross guard, it's bent, etc.

The small damage for armor and weapons could be fixed in the field so you don't have to go to a blacksmith. Sew-up buckles, fix straps, etc. with a small kit and use a whetstone on your sword. If it's a big damage, that's when you take it to a smith. Weapons and armor would still be usable when they've taken big damage, but their effectiveness would be considerably downgraded.

*Aware I didn't go over the crossbow, but I'm lazy and it wasn't in the previous versions so I don't know exactly how it'll be implemented.

I think it would be great if the silver sword could be damaged when using against humans/humans inchainmail or plate armor.

That's what I've thought and wished. Silver plated is weaker than the simple steel. After all, the real Geralt's silver sword is a steel sword silver plated.

Judging by the complete lack of developer feedback on this subject, I am very worried that we will indeed have to carry multiple swords with us because they will constantly break =(

One way of implementing weapon degradation, without making it an annoying hassle, would be to only have decaying bonuses. As in, you apply a bonus to your weapon by using a whetstone or perhaps a greater bonus by paying a blacksmith to improve it, then the bonus would gradually (hopefully very slowly) disappear as you used the sword, BUT only the bonus damage would be gone and have to/could be replenished, the base damage of the sword would never suffer any penalties. This way, people who'd want to always min-max the game would be able to do that, and people who find weapon maintenance to be a hassle or just don't care about the extra damage, could just ignore the weapon maintenance and play the game more like the other witcher games.

Side note: In most cases in the books, Geralt only slashes people with the very tip of his sword at their most vulnerable spots. He doesn't pound his sword on their armor or smash it into their bones, so it definitely wouldn't make sense for his swords to get broken easily.

Maybe it will be fine in the end, what if low level swords break over time e.g a dead bandits sword or a cheap one we found or bought at a blacksmith??? Or what if we really like a sword later on and we can use a rune that makes it unbreakable, then what if we find a bad ass sword that was rare and made unbreakable from the start, so we can now use it's rune slots for something else other then an unbreakable rune??? I see all this stuff working, shit just got real and intense fast haha.. but if they did it in a way that's way more fun and less annoying, it might grow on us!!! ;)

Maybe it will be fine in the end, what if low level swords break over time e.g a dead bandits sword or a cheap one we found or bought at a blacksmith??? Or what if we really like a sword later on and we can use a rune that makes it unbreakable, then what if we find a bad ass sword that was rare and made unbreakable from the start, so we can now use it's rune slots for something else other then an unbreakable rune??? I see all this stuff working, shit just got real and intense fast haha.. but if they did it in a way that's way more fun and less annoying, it might grow on us!!! ;)

In that same line of thought, at the very least I would want/hope that a few of end game swords will not degrade... and some could for the kiddies that want that.

Of course I would not enjoy the game as much as I would be trying to get to such a sword as fast as possible... thus not really taking in the world... fingers crossed for optional.

In that same line of thought, at the very least I would want/hope that a few of end game swords will not degrade... and some could for the kiddies that want that.

Of course I would not enjoy the game as much as I would be trying to get to such a sword as fast as possible... thus not really taking in the world... fingers crossed for optional.

Word ;)

if my Mahakam Sihil degrades and breaks I am going to be SO mad (assuming tw1 swords could be kept through to tw3). i trust CDPR though, and in the off chance that it doesn't work as smoothly as i assume they will make it, i trust the modding community will make amends.

Hello everyone. As i see a lot of speculation here and a lot of it quite worrying, I'd like to take a moment to alleviate some fears.

I don't know where it got lost, but it was already mentioned that weapons/armor will never break 100% . As in, they will never break beyond a point of repair. You will ALWAYS get a chance to repair your equipment (in a number of ways).

Additionally, items will also never be completely useless. Degradation will, of course, have an impact on performance of items, but, for example, a sword will never deal no damage whatsoever due to item degradation.

Happy Foruming!

Hello everyone. As i see a lot of speculation here and a lot of it quite worrying, I'd like to take a moment to alleviate some fears.

I don't know where it got lost, but it was already mentioned that weapons/armor will never break 100% . As in, they will never break beyond a point of repair. You will ALWAYS get a chance to repair your equipment (in a number of ways).

Additionally, items will also never be completely useless. Degradation will, of course, have an impact on performance of items, but, for example, a sword will never deal no damage whatsoever due to item degradation.

Happy Foruming!

Thanks for clearing that up! Can I ask if the damage penalty only occurs if you let the weapon degrade to "0" or are there some other thresholds?

Happy Foruming!

Armor will break too?! Oh come on now.

So there will be some items like, for example, whetstones, that will let you repair your weapons when you happen to be away from the nearest town?

Yes.

---------- Updated at 11:22 AM ----------

Thanks for clearing that up! Can I ask if the damage penalty only occurs if you let the weapon degrade to "0" or are there some other thresholds?

I don't have the details, since this is really not my field. I just wanted to clear up the common misunderstandings. :)

Yes.

---------- Updated at 11:22 AM ----------

I don't have the details, since this is really not my field. I just wanted to clear up the common misunderstandings. :)

Would be great if you could find out how it works. I think this is the peoples biggest fear, that the damage of the weapon decreases with the durarability. Let's say if the weapon is at 80%, you would do 80% dmg. That would be extremly annoying, as you would always feel the need to keep your weapon at 100%.
If the damage stays the same until the weapon reaches 0% (or a grading like 50%) I would like the whole system, because it'S important for me that there will be some kind of gold sink. If there is one think I hate it's having too much coin:)

Top Bottom