Weapon Degradation

+

Weapon Degradation

• Total voters
@GingerEffect

Thx for clearing things up ;)

Would be great if you could find out how it works. I think this is the peoples biggest fear, that the damage of the weapon decreases with the durarability. Let's say if the weapon is at 80%, you would do 80% dmg. That would be extremly annoying, as you would always feel the need to keep your weapon at 100%.
If the damage stays the same until the weapon reaches 0% (or a grading like 50%) I would like the whole system, because it'S important for me that there will be some kind of gold sink. If there is one think I hate it's having too much coin

Well as i wrote before JA2 did a really nice job with its weapon degradation... you did not recognize an "impact" on
the damage or precision until the weapon was really damaged like 50 - 60 % of WPN HP :D but at that percentage
you already experienced several jamming and failures of the weapon.

So lets say, you overuse your gabriel and don t do any maintaince for a time.... then your gabriel might just get
jammed and fail to release the bolt :D :D

for swords... well i think it should have an impact if you go in a fight with a blunt or jacked sword.

Also wrote, that the time / useing of the wpn till the degradation starts should not be to short otherwise it would be
very bothersome.... Fallout 3 failed this.... just sucked to "repair" your gun after every fight.

Last edited:
I can assume, then that the weapon downgrade could be balanced by the use of some potions or mutagens to keep a decent rate of combat effectiveness

I guess my worst fears are alleviated, however I'm still skeptical as to whether it will actually ADD anything to the gameplay, or if it'll end up being a nuisance, or just become almost like a reflex that you shove to the back of your mind. ("Alright, meditate, click repair - now I can do my stuff")

You will obviously have to worry about repair and that can add a number of things, such as forcing the player to sometimes go back to a town to repair instead of pushing onward continuously.

You can't pick up weapons in the witcher 3 :((((((((((((((( I like being able to use both swords and fists but I would have liked to pickup an axe or something:'""((((

No, I'm against this. I don't want to even waste my thoughts on such a thing as weapon repairs.

Not to repeat myself too much I hope... perhaps at some point we will have a menu option of some type that resolves the issue for all.

I see the Weapon Degradation mechanic as something that somehow tries to balance out the changes in Alchemy. So while Alchemy and potions might need a little less preparation this time, weapon degradation kind of adds to this factor so there will still be some planning and preparation needed.

I dont know, it doesnt seem bad, you just have to implement the system right, it is actually pretty logical to MAINTAIN weapon, you have to do it, nothing wrong with that, it will be interesting to see how it will work

Seems fair to me. Alchemy you can only take so many potions and it takes time to find the ingredients. With Signs you can only use a certain amount at a time(im assuming, never was much of a sign guy) and weapons degrade.... Seems like a minor drawback compared to the other two.

So because you guys can't take as many potions as you want or use as many signs as you want, does that ruin the game for you too?

Last edited:
Seems fair to me. Alchemy you can only take so many potions and it takes time to find the ingredients. With Signs you can only use a certain amount at a time(im assuming, never was much of a sign guy) and weapons degrade.... Seems like a minor drawback compared to the other two.

So because you guys can't take as many potions as you want or use as many signs as you want, does that ruin the game for you too?

You can use as many signs as you want, there's no limit, you have all available from the beginning, you just need to have enough vigor to cast one. Depending on the build, it will be more or less often.

As for the potions, there's a whole thread discussing that in depth, but I think they did the right thing there in the context of the whole game.

I'm not crazy about it but if it balances the economy of the game,meaning that we don't become MR.MONEYBAGS,i'm all for it!

I don't like weapon durability in open world games..I want to explore to my full desire and not have my weapons break during a big dungeon or long quest line when I'm about to fight a big monster...that can be very infuriating.

So I'm hoping for that mod that ignores durability.

I don't like weapon durability in open world games..I want to explore to my full desire and not have my weapons break during a big dungeon or long quest line when I'm about to fight a big monster...that can be very infuriating.

So I'm hoping for that mod that ignores durability.
That's great, I hope CDPR can do the same for story mode at least on consoles too.
This sword/armor durability thing, sounds way to old school/nerdy and boring to ever be fun. :)

Last edited:
Im fine with durability... at least at some points it makes sense (the boat for example can be damaged, idk can you also repair it or does it "regenerate" over time/simply be fixed as soon as you decide to park it at a coast?)...
Do we know if you can repair armor and weapons by yourself while meditating? Would be awesome if Geralt could sharpen his swords at a campfire or fix the ripped- apart armor piece... ofc this would need some crafting materials. Or do we have to hand it over to a smith and pay him some money as usual?

I've never seen weapon degradation/repair implemented in a game in a way that wasn't annoying. It always gets in the between the user and fun. I get that they need money sinks, features to create downtime and validify towns but I don't think it's worth it. At least it sounds like broken weapons are less efficient instead of completely unavailable. Personally I'll be looking for a PC mod that'll just remove the degradation.

Im fine with durability... at least at some points it makes sense (the boat for example can be damaged, idk can you also repair it or does it "regenerate" over time/simply be fixed as soon as you decide to park it at a coast?)...
Do we know if you can repair armor and weapons by yourself while meditating? Would be awesome if Geralt could sharpen his swords at a campfire or fix the ripped- apart armor piece... ofc this would need some crafting materials. Or do we have to hand it over to a smith and pay him some money as usual?

We know you can find &/or buy armour and weapon repair kits. You can also spend small amounts of money to have items repaired by a smith. (65 Florens in a recent gameplay, without a discount from a "helped" smith for a silver sword). She sold other items for more than that (but then blew all the cash on a different brand-new sword, so we didn't see the repair happen).

Top Bottom